I just acquired this 1969 Nissan Patrol

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would keep the stock cast exhaust manifold.

Get it ceramic coated maybe later Performance coatings in Auburn

I did end up having to keep the stock cast manifold. The header I got off of craigslist hit the frame. I think a shorter header would have worked but I'm happy with what I have for now. Maybe in the distant future I will pursue finding a usable header.

Driving the patrol yesterday and my left rear wheel cylinder failed and dumped all of my brake fluid. I lost 100% of my braking and hit the car in front of me. Luckily I was only going 10 mph and there was zero patrol damage and very little damage to the other vehicle. But I will never, ever drive a vehicle with a single reservoir master cylinder again. Losing all of your braking is some scary shit and if I was going any faster I could have been in deep trouble. 

So now I have to figure out what I am doing for brakes going forward. 4 wheel disc or front disc would be neat but I would probably be looking at axle swaps in order to do that. I think I will try to keep the 4 wheel drums and use a vacuum assist dual reservoir master cylinder similar to this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tff-2131nb-1/overview/

I had the axel come out of my Patrol so you lose a wheel and brakes. NOT GOOD! It was the right rear that let go. 33 inch tire with the long axel flying around. I'm so glad that didn't kill someone. Let me tell you have not had a pucker moment until you have a axel eject and have no brakes!!!

I had the axel come out of my Patrol so you lose a wheel and brakes. NOT GOOD! It was the right rear that let go. 33 inch tire with the long axel flying around. I'm so glad that didn't kill someone. Let me tell you have not had a pucker moment until you have a axel eject and have no brakes!!!

Ratpatrol, do you know where I can source a new wheel cylinder or will I have to have it rebuilt?

find a Patrol site  site in Australia. they can ship it.

I found the holy grail of sellers. Ebay seller name 4wd_products. He has absolutely everything you can imagine but he's located in Australia so shipping is uber slow and expensive. PM this seller for a list of parts he has. I am ordering new wheel cylinders and shoes for all four wheels.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the patrol back from (cheap) paint job.  It looks excellent from 20 feet away. Lots of body imperfections make it look pretty rough up close but I am very happy with how it turned out overall. I now have this weekend to put all the new brake parts on and then I am ready for Canby.

WP_20140605_001.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...