I just acquired this 1969 Nissan Patrol

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Since the chevy motor seems like its healthy and has a good reputation I've decided to keep it for the immediate future and slowly build it up. There is an exhaust leak under the hood so I just picked up a used header to replace the existing manifold. Hopefully in the not too distant future I can replace the single barrel intake manifold and carb with something bigger.  There seems to be a decent aftermarket for parts so I am pretty excited about that

Immediate plans in order of importance:

• Clutch
  • New header/fix exhaust leak
  • Wheel for spare tire
  • Reupholster rear jumpseat
  • Windshield Wiper Motor
  • New intake/carb
  • 1 month later...

Resuming work on the patrol. There is a backfire when you let off the throttle due to a pretty serious exhaust leak. I am waiting for my friend to mail me a header I picked up off of craigslist on the east coast. Once I receive and install that I will hopefully be bringing it over to Kitsap Muffler and have them work out the rest of the exhaust system. 

I ordered and received a Holley 390 cfm carb and I should be receiving my 4barrel intake any day now. I will post again when I install some of this stuff.

WP_20140218_001.jpg

-Steve

I pulled off the old intake and exhaust manifolds.  I am getting really impatient for my friend to mail me my header from across the country so I was considering reusing the old exhaust manifold - that idea went down in flames when two of the studs broke off in the manifold.

Waiting sucks.... I want my header so I can put it all back together.

WP_20140317_0011.jpg

WP_20140317_0021.jpg

WP_20140317_003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my friend to send me the header and they don't fit. There is a clearance issue with the frame so there is no way I can force it. So I am having the exhaust manifold fixed. That should be ready today or tomorrow so it shouldn't be much longer before I reassemble everything.

Who needs a header for a chevy six cylinder?  They are designed to fit a Chevy C10 pickup. If nobody wants it then it's going on craigslist.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally started up the patrol with the new carb and intake. Seems to be idling high but not really sure. I don't have the gas pedal hooked up to the throttle yet and it seems like a giant pain in the ass to do. Here's a video of the startup.

th_WP_20140419_004.jpg

I had an extra tach so I wired it up and it seems to be idling at 2000 rpm, way too high. I believe I need to get it down to about 900 rpm. The idle adjustment screw seems to have no affect on the rpm though so I am a little stuck. I am trying to google the answer but not coming up with any good answers at the moment.

Is there an idle air mixture screw on it like a weber. That or a vacuum leak

Based on what I have read it seems like a vacuum leak is most likely. This might be a really stupid question but do I need to be blocking off all unused vacuum line fittings on the carb?

With all unused vacuum lines capped off there was still a leak. I used the carb cleaner trick and found a leak where the manifolds bolt to the head near the back. I am installing a new remflex gasket today and I am praying that solves it. If not I guess I will bring the intake and exhaust manifold assembly back to the machinist for more resurfacing.

good find man.

patroll has been one of my dreams for a long time (im pretty big into jeeps, offroading, and nissans so its only natural) the sd33 would be my first choice, but given the cost and parts availability i think the 292 chevy is just dandy. Those motors are really dependable too (or at least the 235s were)

I used the carb cleaner trick to search for leaks and discovered that the fel-pro intake/exhaust gasket wasn't making a good enough seal. I bought a very expensive Remflex gasket that is really thick and made out of graphite. The gasket turned out to be really awesome and totally fixed my problem. The patrol runs better than ever and is actually pretty fun to drive now so I am pretty excited about it. The Holley has much improved throttle response over the single barrel Rochester carb that it replaced. Also it doesn't bog down and die all the time which is nice.

the chevy motor lots like it was made for it.

You fix your t/o bearing noise if I remember right?

No, there is still an annoying squeak when you push the clutch in. I am going to fix it eventually but not right away. My plan is to drive it around a bit and see what other projects present themselves. I will be throwing on some cheap paint so it has consistent color for the short term. Long term I will have to incrementally work on the body to fix a few problem areas.