Bruiser! 78 620 KC project

carterb

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyway, the truck still runs pretty good but it has an annoying (especially with slow stop/go traffic up a hill) issue between 800 and 1200 rpm (basically - coming off idle) where you press the gas pedal down farther and farther and it feels like power drops into a hole, then comes back more than you wanted.  It's an annoying dead spot making it very rubber-bandy once the revs catch.  Everything is still stock.  Is this an issue that can be adjusted away at the carb?  Or is the best "adjustment" just to replace the old carb with a weber and never look back? 

Sounds like the accelerator pump or it needs a weber.  :lol: 

• 3 weeks later...

Caution_New_Driver_Magnet_Design.png

It's official.  Victoria now has her permit.

She's started classes and I have been picking her up in the truck and giving her lessons on driving the manual transmission.  She's doing great!  She even got her first thumbs up yesterday!   :thumbup:   I think it was for the truck, she thinks it's because she avoided crushing the guys hood as she gently rolled backwards while "easing" out the clutch and getting some wheel spin...  Hey, a thumbs up is a thumbs up is a thumbs up! 

• Like 1

It's official. Victoria now has her permit.

She's started classes and I have been picking her up in the truck and giving her lessons on driving the manual transmission. She's doing great! She even got her first thumbs up yesterday! :thumbup: I think it was for the truck, she thinks it's because she avoided crushing the guys hood as she gently rolled backwards while "easing" out the clutch and getting some wheel spin... Hey, a thumbs up is a thumbs up is a thumbs up!

I think we all had our fair share of those moments learning how to drive a manual! So does that mean this truck is going to canby?

It's official. Victoria now has her permit.

She's started classes and I have been picking her up in the truck and giving her lessons on driving the manual transmission. She's doing great! She even got her first thumbs up yesterday! :thumbup: I think it was for the truck, she thinks it's because she avoided crushing the guys hood as she gently rolled backwards while "easing" out the clutch and getting some wheel spin... Hey, a thumbs up is a thumbs up is a thumbs up!

Glad you live up there :lol:
  • Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Victoria and I did some routine maintenance on Bruiser this weekend followed by buffing out the oxidation on the doors/fenders/hood.  Looks pretty darn good now!

052320015_bruiser_2_.JPG

She's excited to show it off at Canby for the first time this year.

052320015_bruiser_1_.JPG

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Wanted to do a couple more things before Canby.

We removed the KC windows as the rubber was SHOT!

06122015_canby_prep_6_.JPG

Pulled the windows from the parts truck (at Jeff's now) and Victoria helped install them in their place

06122015_canby_prep_7_.JPG?540

Super deluxe!

Retrieved and installed the missing door ding trim too:

06122015_canby_prep_8_.JPG

Looking much better!

06122015_canby_prep_9_.JPG

Then Brenda and Victoria gave it one last polish and wax before we hit the road the next morning.

• Like 1

Victoria - learner's permit in-hand, drove all the way down from Lynnwood, WA to Canby, OR. 

canby_2015_2_.JPG

We've done a lot of parking lot driving in Bruiser practicing clutch modulation but this is the first time she's been on the open road with a stick.  She did awesome!!!  Way to go Victoria!

Time to set up camp!

canby_2015_3_.JPG

Heard lots of compliments on the way in and throughout the weekend.

canby_2015_224_.JPG

Nighty night!

canby_2015_226_.JPG

On Sunday, I think Bruiser held his own on the grass with the other trucks

canby_2015_385_.JPG

canby_2015_386_.JPG

And during the awards ceremony, Victoria was called to receive 3rd place - Stock Truck!  No way!

That was pretty cool but unfortunately, behind the scenes we learned there was a miscount and she was actually 4th so she graciously gave up her award to Doug with the 720.  That did not dissuade her from enjoying the show and she took me around to show me lots of ideas from other trucks for what we're supposed to do next.  She can't wait to paint her truck "candy apple red" and come back next year!

canby_2015_736_.JPG

Still can't convince her it needs to be lowered though.  : )

• Like 7
  • 3 weeks later...

Cooper needs an ignition upgrade (electronic distributor) so I've been driving Bruiser for the last few days.

Everything has been going smooth as usual until I stopped for milk on the way home Monday night and saw steam coming out from under the hood when I shut off the motor.

I looked it over in the parking lot and found coolant on top of the intake, all down the left side of the block, and you could hear it dripping on the hot exhaust manifold, but there was no obvious source.  So I topped off the radiator and finished the drive home with no additional drama.

Last night I pulled off the air clean so I could get a better look.

07072015_bruiser_coolant_leak_2_.JPG\

The short coolant hose that goes to the intake at the base of the carb was looking like the obvious culprit.

07072015_bruiser_coolant_leak_1_.JPG

37 years of heat cycling and dripping fuel had taken their toll and turned the heater hose to mush.  It had bulged out to about twice it's diameter and was weeping pretty badly.  Access to that hose SUCKS!  Check out this screw, right under the emissions hard line.

07072015_bruiser_coolant_leak_3_.JPG

I did manage to get it off but there wasn't much left.  Look how ballooned it was!

07072015_bruiser_coolant_leak_4_.JPG

Now the fun part, somehow getting a new hose in it's place...

07072015_bruiser_coolant_leak_5_.JPG

I just about finished the job last night before a friend showed up so I'll have to finish tonight.  More later...

• Like 1

I finished installing the replacement hose yesterday after work:

07082015_bruiser_coolant_leak_1_.JPG

I ran the motor 'till the thermostat opened up and there were not leaks anywhere so I buttoned it all back up good as new.

07082015_bruiser_coolant_leak_2_.JPG

In the end I replaced the hose twice.  The first time I ran into trouble because in order to get the old hose out and the new hose in, you have to bend the hardline quite a bit.  Well, once you do that, it doesn't easily bend back into place, and my efforts of bending the tube back in line with the fitting on the intake, coupled with no access room for fingers or tools, coupled with trouble getting the hose clamps back in place, left the hose out of position and pretty scarred up.  So I ripped it off and started over with a new piece.  this time I disconnected the hardline mounts at the front of the engine which allowed for a little more wiggle room.  I also lubed the hose inside which made it easier to fit to the hard lines, and outside which made it easier to get the hose clamp on.

Next time it would take less than half the time I'm sure.  But I won't be bothered if there isn't a next time thank you very much.  : )

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Victoria took her drivers test last week and did awesome!  Her 16th birthday was Sunday and as of Monday, she's officially licensed and has already picked up Corey from school (followed by a celebratory trip to the ice cream shop) and has even driven all the way out to Monroe on her own.

I don't remember getting my license being any big deal - just a formality that allowed me to finally drive legally.  And I drove everywhere! 

As a parent though, it sure is different when your kid is driving by themselves.  Way bigger deal!

She's a great kid though, I'm very proud of her.  And I'm sure she is probably one of the only kids in her high school that can drive a stick.  :thumbup:

• Like 4