Bruiser! 78 620 KC project

carterb

It looks like you can get new hoods and fenders from Rock Auto.  Has anyone ever bought them?  Good/Bad?  How 'bout Nissan?  Can you still get NOS panels?

Looks like a great start for you and your daughter! Awesome to see some girls in Datsuns! :D haha its mostly just guys around here... 

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's really an easy fix. I looked under the shift boot expecting to find worn bushing. Instead I found NO BUSHINGS!!!

08212013_bruiser_no_bushings.JPG

There are supposed to be bushings on each side of the shifter as seen in the photo below:

shifter_bushings_2.jpg

All it takes is a pair of these:

nissan_shifter_bushings.JPG

Or if your pin is toast, or if you are missing the plastic bushing on the end of the shifter as well, you may need all of this:

shifter_bushings_3.jpg

Which includes the following:

32854-24900

32849-H1010

32855-H1010

32861-N4200

Thanks!

It's best to get rid of that rubber plug and replace it with a brass one. The rubber one is a band-aid.

The brass ones are designed to pop out if the coolant (water being used is usually the culprit) freezes. Looks like the old one worked as designed and someone had to fix it on the fly.

Well, Victoria and I spent our first repair session together Monday morning.  We installed the new shifter bushings:

09022013_truck_work_1_.JPG

09022013_truck_work_4_.JPG

It shifts so nice and smooth now!

We also replaced the freeze (core?) plug.  It was a real bugger removing the one out as finding the right tool/leverage point combination to pry it out required removal of the old air pump bracket which had rounded bolt heads but in the end, we won!

09022013_truck_work_12_.JPG

09022013_truck_work_13_.JPG

Then we installed the missing wiper arm and treated Bruiser and Cooper to new wiper blades in preparation for the rainy season:

09022013_truck_work_6_.JPG

09022013_truck_work_5_.JPG

Victoria did great!

I also gave her an overview of how an internal combustion engine works before starting to look at the normal tune-up parts.

Distributor cap and rotor need replacing - center contact is almost gone.  Lots of wear and carbon build up.

09022013_truck_work_7_.JPG

09022013_truck_work_8_.JPG

Can't complain about the spark plugs though...

09022013_truck_work_9_.JPG

We'll check out the timing next before looking at the carb to figure out why the auto choke does not work.

can I ask why didn't u reinstall a freeze plug....expansion plugs are a good temp fix... but the heating and cooling absolutely kill them....

look at that girly girl getting all hands on working on her truck ..that's awesome

wait that's cooper the coupe..... argh careful where u lean ...lol

can I ask why didn't u reinstall a freeze plug....expansion plugs are a good temp fix... but the heating and cooling absolutely kill them....

Cause I had it on hand and just needed to get it running again.  I can replace later if this gives us issues but the other one was certainly in there for years before it failed...

Only coolant leak now is at the heater valve at the passengers footwell.  PO replaced a hose but it still leaked.  I replaced the hose clamp with a better one but it didn't fix it so it's either a different hose or the heater valve itself.  Haven't investigated further.

Did the early and late trucks use different heater valves or are they all the same?

--carter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, Summer ended and the weather got colder and the truck would barely start and took forever to warm up enough to run.  Found that the electric choke was not getting 12v and so the PO just backed it all the way off.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/58171-l20b-w-stock-carb-cold-start-issues-electric-choke-problem/

Fixed that then found that the headlights no longer worked (or never did) and then the drivers door wouldn't open anymore from the outside.  For the headlights, the fuse was just bad.  For the door, turns out the plastic plunger on the end of the rod linked to the outside door handle screwed or slipped up the rod so far that it no longer actuated the door latch.  I threaded it back down and it works fine again but I'll probably need to add a lock-nut above to keep it from happening again.

620_door_dohicky.jpg

All of this is part of owning an old car and all perfect little projects to teach Victoria how to fix her truck.

Speaking of, we need some parts...  I posted an add on the classifieds but haven't gotten any hits yet.  We need:

1 set of nice stock hubcaps

1 nice hood

1 nice bed

1 nice uncracked dash

Also, advice on some nice seats would be appreciated as well.  The stock ones are junk and covered by some wal-mart quality covers...

oh yeah!  Can't believe I forgot this...  Remember the leaky heater hose that the PO just finished fixing before we picked up the truck?  Well it wasn't the hose at all.  It was the valve itself.

620_heater_valve_10062013_1_.JPG

You can see all the corrosion visible from underneath

620_heater_valve_10062013_2_.JPG

Bring on the NIB heater valve!  Now they don't give these away - but I'm glad they still have them.  We got it at the local Nissan dealer but you can probably get them cheaper from nissanparts.cc

10202013_heater_valve_replacement_1_.JPG

ain't she pretty?!

10202013_heater_valve_replacement_2_.JPG

10202013_heater_valve_replacement_3_.JPG

installed and working awesome!  Not only does it not leak anymore but the cable action is so easy and smooth!!!!

10202013_heater_valve_replacement_13_.JP

Here is the old one...

10202013_heater_valve_replacement_6_.JPG

Couldn't even move the lever...

10202013_heater_valve_replacement_10_.JP

• Like 1

Funny you should mention vinegar...

With the faulty fuse issue, I decided to give the fuse box a rejuvenating bath and replace all the fuses.  This has brought many-a-510 electrical systems back to life.

11172013_fuse_box_refurb_3_.JPG

Before:

11172013_fuse_box_refurb_1_.JPG

11172013_fuse_box_refurb_2_.JPG

After:

11172013_fuse_box_refurb_4_.JPG

11172013_fuse_box_refurb_5_.JPG

And with the new fuses:

11172013_fuse_box_refurb_6_.JPG

This is our first 620 so I'm pretty dumb still...  Is there supposed to be a fuse box cover?  If there is - I don't have one.  Anyone have a spare for a '78?

Lights work great now but the switch gets pretty warm. I will probably remove the fancy aftermarket white lights the PO installed and go back to stock.

• Like 2

This is our first 620 so I'm pretty dumb still...  Is there supposed to be a fuse box cover?  If there is - I don't have one.  Anyone have a spare for a '78?

Lights work great now but the switch gets pretty warm. I will probably remove the fancy aftermarket white lights the PO installed and go back to stock.

I MIGHT have another cover but not sure, it would be in one of my bins of 620 parts...You might be pretty well of with this, doesn't look exactly like a 78 but should be roughly the same and your manual should have the fuse layout if so..Its not a complicated box, I dont use a cover as of now because I want to make a custom one someday :P http://www.ebay.com/bhp/datsun-fuse-box

Well I got some hits on my parts wanted ads on ratsun and craigslist - the first one being an awesome deal on a whole truck... 

IMG95201310189517542795497.jpg

IMG95201310189517550195403.jpg

Now this was really just too nice to break apart of course so I started dreaming of my own 620 project - actually, first I asked my son Corey if he wanted a truck like his sisters but he still wants my '72 4dr 510.  I began making arangements for the purchase and transportation (no drivetrain) of the truck but then suddenly and unexpectedly the deal fell through.  :confused:

So that night I looked on Ebay and found an interesting truck in Poulsbo, WA not too far from me - It was only bid up to $255 and the auction was ending the next day so I sent some requests for more information and ended up bidding $400 or so for it as it had a bed, hood, dash, hubcaps, beauty rings, etc. etc. etc.  All kinds of stuff we need plus lots of stuff we don't.  Perfect! 

I was pretty excited the next day and did win the autction at $305 but I didn't meet the reserve.  :crying:

ebay_620_parts_truck.JPG

• Like 1