Bruiser! 78 620 KC project

carterb

So my daughter Victoria and I came up with a great idea!  Buy a Datsun PU project and fix it up while teaching her basic mechanics.  It will also give her the oportunity to earn her first ride with sweat equity since we weren't just going to give her a car.  We'll go halvsies on the truck and then see what happens from there.

We looked at 520/521s and 620s but eventually settled on 78/79 620KC's.  The KC for extra space for horse gear, school back pack, etc.  The 78/79 for the safety of front disk brakes.

We looked at a couple owned by a friend but we couldn't convince him to sell them cheap enough, then we found a runner on craigslist.  It was too much as well but after a couple weeks of e-mails, the price came down and a deal was struck.  Please say hello to The Bruiser - our new (to us) 1978 Datsun 620 KC.

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_1_.JPG

• Like 5
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow that is awesome .. i hope my daughter one day asks the same thing.... but i strive to send her to school in a rhd datsun one day......so im sure i will go down this road....#following....#cantbelieveijusttypedthestupidestthingever,ahashtag...

More photos:

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_3_.JPG

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_4_.JPG

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_5_.JPG

Overall, pretty darn good condition.  I had planned on dragging  something home on a trailer but in the end, I think this (getting a runner) just made more sense.  My wife Brenda and Victoria have gotten into horses lately and now they can use this to haul hay and tack and such until we tear it apart for paint.  Victoria is not quite 14 yet so we have some time, which is good - cause I'm slow!  :geek:

• Like 1

Wheels and tires on the truck are fairly new, but I'm not too sure about the stomper look.  Fortunately, the stock steelies and a set of pathfinder rims were included with the purchase so we have some options.  And hey! who doesn't like a bed full of datsun parts?!

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_6_.JPG

• Like 1

Here are some interior shots.  Or shots of the interior.  Or the interior IS shot.  Something like that...

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_7_.JPG

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_9_.JPG

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_10_.JPG

Actually, it's not that bad...  The center console is pretty cool.  Dash is all cracked up but it does have a factory tach.  Are there still uncracked dashes out there?  Anyone make a fiberglass replacement?  Dash swap?  What do you guys do with these things?  Crown Royal gag bag has to go!

• Like 1

Engine is stock as all get-out.  HID modules and battery tie-down delete (!) seems to be about the only changes from factory.  Not too shabby eh? 

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_13_.JPG

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_11_.JPG

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_12_.JPG

The electric choke (is there one?) doesn't seem to work so it takes some persuasion to keep it running when cold.  Once it's warm it runs great though.  There is NO power however.  This could be just about anything of course so we'll have to look through all the easy stuff first and do a basic tune up.  The only problem to speak of is a leaky hose at the heater box.  PO tried to fix it before I showed up but it still leaks.  Filling the passenger side floor board with water.  I'd say filling the passenger side floor board with coolant but there doesn't seem to be any.  :confused:

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_8_.JPG

• Like 1

Looking good so far. What are the plans for it?

Good question.  It will be for my daughter I'll have to let her answer this one.  She is very talented and artistic so I'm sure once we sit down and do some reasearch, she'll come up with something that looks great.  If it were me I'd lower it as far as it would go and swap in a VG.  But I think she likes the stomper look and we'll keep it L motor for her while she learns to drive.  Much safer that way.  This is our first 620 so we have a lot to learn.

I like the way it sits right now!

Thanks!  I think Victoria does too.

Here are some interior shots.  Or shots of the interior.  Or the interior IS shot.  Something like that...

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_7_.JPG

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_9_.JPG

08142013_78_620KC_day_1_10_.JPG

Actually, it's not that bad...  The center console is pretty cool.  Dash is all cracked up but it does have a factory tach.  Are there still uncracked dashes out there?  Anyone make a fiberglass replacement?  Dash swap?  What do you guys do with these things?  Crown Royal gag bag has to go!

There are un cracked ones but they are getting harder to find these days. Steroid offers a fiberglass replacement dash with no glove box cut out. Some guys will just fill the cracks smooth it out and bondo over to smooth it out.

It looks like you can get new hoods and fenders from Rock Auto.  Has anyone ever bought them?  Good/Bad?  How 'bout Nissan?  Can you still get NOS panels?

I have read the fenders will need some fitment. Not sure on the hoods.

It looks like you can get new hoods and fenders from Rock Auto.  Has anyone ever bought them?  Good/Bad?  How 'bout Nissan?  Can you still get NOS panels?

NOS parts body parts are gone. Wish I could get my hands on my ex wifes 79 KC I built for her. She worked at So. Tacoma Nissan back in 97. Rebuilt the KC with NOS core support, inner fenders,hood,outer fenders, doors and door glass. have no idea what happened to that truck.

Could you post pics of what the process for replacing that is? I had the same problem in my 620 and don't know what to do to fix it

It's really an easy fix.  I looked under the shift boot expecting to find worn bushing.  Instead I found NO BUSHINGS!!!

08212013_bruiser_no_bushings.JPG

There are supposed to be bushings on each side of the shifter as seen in the photo below:

shifter_bushings_2.jpg

All it takes is a pair of these:

nissan_shifter_bushings.JPG

Or if your pin is toast, or if you are missing the plastic bushing on the end of the shifter as well, you may need all of this:

shifter_bushings_3.jpg

Which includes the following:

32854-24900

32849-H1010

32855-H1010

32861-N4200

• Like 1

Well, in addition to fixing the coolant leak in at the heater core.  It looks like I have a more serious one in the engine compartment...  I noticed a puddle under the truck this morning.  When I got home tonight I investigated and found that it is leaking from the side of the block:

08212013_bruiser_leak_2_.JPG

This is a freeze plug?  Is it as easy to replace as it appears?  Do you replace with a normal knock in brass plug or another like this with the bolt in the middle?  Or does turning the bolt expand the plug and fix the leak?

08212013_bruiser_leak_1_.JPG