Datsun 620 Ka24de 720 trans swap

bluebird4200

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished getting the steering wheel on. I bought the steering wheel for $80 at the Eagle Rock swap meet a couple of weeks ago. I ended up buying a Momo hub adapter and a NRG six hole steering wheel adapter off of Ebay. Shit..That cost another $135 or so, but at least my knees clear now! LOL

bth_utf-8BSU1BRzA1NTUuanBn_zps14fb9711.j

Front brake kit that I bought locally. Huge difference!

bth_utf-8BSU1BRzA1MTguanBn_zps2f16d82b.j

Here is after some bodywork that I started.

I have a few more items that I bought. A few pictures as well that I can post in a few after I get home tonight. Sitting in my office right now digging this forum..lol!

'80 won't work or from a diesel (you'll know if it's a diesel the stsrter will be on the driver's side) has to be from a Z22 or Z24 powered 720. 

The KA and the earlier 720 transmissions are very similar. The KA 5 speed has a much different shifter, otherwise same bolt pattern to the motor.

Maybe post some pictures of what you have.

Yeah if I would have pulled it myself I would have done the same, but I had Bill over at Fermans mini truck get me the transmission. I wanted to get the right one. Hopefully no problems. Anyhowe I didn't get the bolts which is fine. I'd like to get some new ones anyway's. I saw a set on ebay, I think I will go to Hub auto and match them up somehow.

bth_IMAG0653_zpsfcf66950.jpg?t=137657249

bth_IMAG0655_zps74308331.jpg?t=137657252

bth_IMAG0654_zps9c35edae.jpg?t=137657251

Seems that it will work. there will just be a bolt or two missing.

I was wondering if anyone has ran in to this same issue?

Plus my engine is from an s14. I was gonna try to bolt the two together this weekend.

Anyone know what size and length of bolts I need to get?

Just wondering if anyone ran in to this same situation??/

The KA the L and the Z series motors have the same pattern and number of bolts holding the transmission on. So any L series 4 spreed, 5 speed (even the T-5 from the turbo zx) and any L or Z series 3 or 4 speed automatic will physically bolt to the KA.

I took  the clutch off today to inspect it, and see if it's worth keeping . Looks good, but a bit of surface rust. The downside of my inspection is that the dust plate doesn't appear to be the right one. All of the top bolt holes line up on the Ka, but the lowers are slightly off... I am thinking to trace out the out line of the housing, and drill new hole to line up. I will have to take pictures tomorrow for reference to my description. Pisses me off though...

It is not that.. the dust plate doesnt match the motor that I bought, and it is installed. the top bolt holes match, but the lowers don't.

I went and bought a impact wrench today  to take off the flywheel to get to the plate.

Looks like I can cut some of it away and drill some new holes on the lower end. All should be well. Maybe it is an SR dust plate or something. It doesn't interfere with any moving parts, and being a Nissan part I assume the thickness should be correct. 

Oh yeah.. I ordered some new bolts off of ebay for a 240sx bell housing 5 speed. I hope the thread pitch and length all work with my 720 trans...Crossing my fingers! I am in Newport Beach, and the bolt kit is coming from South Gate. I assume they will be here by the end of the week being that La and Orange County are neighbors...

• 3 months later...

It has been a while since I messed with my truck...I will have some time off of work over the holiday's, so I hope to get some work done on the 620. So far I have a ka24de, the mounts, 5 speed 720 transmission, , and the truck. Still need to get a CAn Am Box! .....

Not sure what to buy or how to get the steering problem solved. Hopefully there is someone out there that can help me get a list together of how to fix this issue. I would like to have everything  needed to complete the entire swap when I go to do this.

• 6 months later...

I been pulling and disconnecting the wiring, bout to drain the radiator and slave cylinder. I only see 2 bolts under my 620 at the transmission. Aside of the connections in the engine bay, are those two bolts the only thing that needs to be disconnected at the rear end of the engine and transmission to remove them from the truck? Please help with experience. . Thanks!