Easiest 410 Engine Swap

bugn8r

Hi guys, awesome site you have here.

Just wanting your opinion on the easiest engine swap? At the moment it's a 1200cc E1.

Is there anything that is a cheap/bolt in power upgrade?

Not wanting heaps of power (just some more :thumbup: ) and the car will just be used as a daily, still retaining same box/brakes etc.

Cheers

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

J1300?

Available?  Probably, look in wanted section.

Cheap?  Depends on the seller's perception of how desperate you are.

Power Upgrade?  1300 beats 1200 ccs.

Bolt in?  The 410 went from 1200 to 1300 without redesign.  Motor mounts MAY be in the same location, the body didn't have significant changes until the 411 iteration.

Good luck, happy hunting!

Haha yes thanks but shipping might be a bit expensive  :rofl: . Wellington, New Zealand.

So J13 uses same mounts and all? I suppose anything else that was different I could just take from the E-1 if it's similar.

Cheers

New zealand got the Datsun 620 utes to, so should be able to track a J15 down, but I would honestly look at an MGB 1800 motor, they are the best of out that kind of engine platform, and will essentially bolt in using the standard hardware.

Cross flow aftermarket heads also available from the UK last time I was researching.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any documentation on MGB swaps? I would love to read up on it or see one already done but nothing comes up in my searches for it. Or does it really just bolt in, transmission and all?

Not sure about documentation, but they are essentially the same physical motor from what I understand;

Check out this guys car;

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/27120-oz411-build-thread/

14112010063.jpg

14112010062.jpg

Not sure how he actually did the engine mounts, but wouldn't be hard to do.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I saw one thread with a KA24E swap but pics arent showing, Im still new to 410/411 but if im not wrong the main problem is the engine bay space because of wiper thing or some other problem?

Will be looking to swap some newer engine, which one form below CAN be installed with some engine bay work?

GA14 old nissan sunny engine

SR20DE 

or QR20DE

I have a 4AGE lying around as well, but car will be here after a month so just preparing and doing the reading bit

You will be the first. Take lots of pictures for us.

Lol not sure if I want to do another project being the first one after VQ30DET install

its almost fair to say that any motor swap outside of an L, J, R, or A series you will be the first... oh but the ka24e and de have both been done by sergio on one car....

Problem is its hard to source L series 4 cylinder ones or any older A/J/H series here, as mainly most are available only those coming from Japan so newer (post 1990) 4 cly engines from sunny or loads of SR20 even KA is a bit rare but can be found with some search.

What I was looking for is some thread or info on if some newer engine swap as been done or not and if done any details on the forum?

Thanks

well i can tell you the l series doenst fit well. its too tall at the cam cover due to the lump for the cam gear, it will need a hole cut in the hood. the ka/sr stuff should fit under the hood as sergio had no issues with either of his ka swaps. the vg i dont know yet. and the a/j/r/h series ar all very small in size and some came stock so those will all fit no problem.

• Like 1

well i can tell you the l series doenst fit well. its too tall at the cam cover due to the lump for the cam gear, it will need a hole cut in the hood. the ka/sr stuff should fit under the hood as sergio had no issues with either of his ka swaps. the vg i dont know yet. and the a/j/r/h series ar all very small in size and some came stock so those will all fit no problem.

Thanks for the explanation best bit as of now will be to go for SR20 as those can be found the easiest will be DE version rather then DET not worth Boosting the car Z is there for that purpose

Have people been upgrading brakes or differential in these?

it depends on what chassis you have, is it a original 1300 or 1600 car. if its the 1300 it has the smal h165 diff, if its a 1600 its the h190 same as the trucks. the h165 will need to be replaced if you put any real power to it and drive it hard, the h190 should handle it ok. the brakes ppl have done disk swaps, if yours is drum up front that is a key note that it was a 1300, if its disk it was a 1600 and they are decent, but unvented and rather small you may look into upgrades for those as well.....

• Like 1

I saw one thread with a KA24E swap but pics arent showing, Im still new to 410/411 but if im not wrong the main problem is the engine bay space because of wiper thing or some other problem?

Will be looking to swap some newer engine, which one form below CAN be installed with some engine bay work?

GA14 old nissan sunny engine

SR20DE 

or QR20DE

I have a 4AGE lying around as well, but car will be here after a month so just preparing and doing the reading bit

Pics are showing now  :thumbup:

it depends on what chassis you have, is it a original 1300 or 1600 car. if its the 1300 it has the smal h165 diff, if its a 1600 its the h190 same as the trucks. the h165 will need to be replaced if you put any real power to it and drive it hard, the h190 should handle it ok. the brakes ppl have done disk swaps, if yours is drum up front that is a key note that it was a 1300, if its disk it was a 1600 and they are decent, but unvented and rather small you may look into upgrades for those as well.....

Thanks man, car will reach dubai in 4-5 weeks will check all other details then.

It is always worth boosting a car. One could also say its not worth swapping the original engine foe a bigger one. Why bother?

Im not against boosting a car but what I meant there not worth boosting this one because dropping a turbo engine is every easy but then making sure it will run and car is capable of running with all supporting mods is the main thing which I don't intend to do in this.

I already have a S30 a very big project started from scratch shell, as I was sure to boost it did reinforced the chassis so it can bear the 300whp along with all suspension and brakes upgrades, in short everything was replaced with something newer.

img5414eo.jpg

Installed a RB25DET was running great

img5393u.jpg

img4646f.jpg

Now changed the engine to VQ30DET as RB25 was way too heavy and was bothering the weight distribution, its the first ever VQ30DET swap in a S30 and its more like amid engine ship now, pending a final tune though

tswp.jpg

Here I just need to upgrade the engine as the stock one first will be difficult to run in such high temperatures (125+) and will be needing AC along with capability to have a normal driving speed of 50- 70 mph, so will upgrade something which gives slightly more ponnies around 150 would be more then enough.. Will do some suspension and brake upgrade basic ones but for turbo IMO body strengthening is the first thing in my books to avoid the flex in old chassis then move to brake and suspension for handling for which I said its not worth it. This will be used only as a cruiser.

Pics are showing now  :thumbup:

Thanks checking it now again

• Like 1