My 720

Robert

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome build!! :thumbup:

I got all the parts set aside to do the same to my 720 4x4 and the brake booster clearance issues have been preventing me from starting my upgrades. i'll definitely be looking at that booster you used as it looks like it'll solve my clearance issues in this area.

Man that 35 to 95 pull was wicked fast :thumbup:

Awesome build!! :thumbup:

I got all the parts set aside to do the same to my 720 4x4 and the brake booster clearance issues have been preventing me from starting my upgrades. i'll definitely be looking at that booster you used as it looks like it'll solve my clearance issues in this area.

Man that 35 to 95 pull was wicked fast :thumbup:

Yes....that damn brake booster pissed me off whole sale for quite sometime. Just get a universal 7.5" dual diaphram from ebay (or summit) and cut the brake booster pedistal way down. Shorten the rod inside, and adjust the length with the adjustment bolt inside the cylinder....youll see when you get it apart. Fits pretty good and has more power than stock booster. Youll need to weld a little but its pretty simple.

WHY the tach not working??? If you put it in it's an easy fix to get it fixed.

I am using an AEM stand-alone ECU. Their TACHO only runs newer tachometers that are run off the cars ECU. The earlier models like my truck only read the signal off the negative side of the coil. I converted the engine to coil over plugs and not a single coil so the stock tach wont fire properly. It needs to see a 'wave-pules' as the coil discharges. Yes, I can get it going....I need to get a small coil from a relay swaitch, wire in a resistor, and run the TACHO from the ECU to the coil, ground the coil through the resistor, and hook the stock tach wrie to the negitive side of the coil...it acts like a mini coil and gives almost the same signal. Just something I havent finished yet.....I may be cutting the cluster up and installing custom guages in it so just havent done anytyhing to it.

Fuck me, revving through first isn't that fast in my 710!!!

Give it to me for a month or so....I can make it fast enough to pull turds out of you.  :devil:

Ill load a video from the track a a little while back. Last day of the year at the track, got one run in....frickin car in fron of me spille oil and I spun in 1st and went no where....but grabbed in second and third. I actually went faster with 3:70 gears and street tires then with 4:11 gears and slicks. Damn 1st gear goes no place fast since its all rev and no go. but I tell you what, second and third pull very hard. At 2580lbs, 300whp can make it a bit scary in the old truck. You feel the front lift and the back squat.

Yes....that damn brake booster pissed me off whole sale for quite sometime. Just get a universal 7.5" dual diaphram from ebay (or summit) and cut the brake booster pedistal way down. Shorten the rod inside, and adjust the length with the adjustment bolt inside the cylinder....youll see when you get it apart. Fits pretty good and has more power than stock booster. Youll need to weld a little but its pretty simple.

Thanks for the reply and info... I'm always looking for a reason to break out the TIG and weld stuff up so I'll get this booster as soon as possible and do what you said... it's pretty much the only thing holding me back from installing my turbo right now.... and I'm looking forward to having the next 11 days off from work after tonight :thumbup:

• Like 1

I am using an AEM stand-alone ECU. Their TACHO only runs newer tachometers that are run off the cars ECU. The earlier models like my truck only read the signal off the negative side of the coil. I converted the engine to coil over plugs and not a single coil so the stock tach wont fire properly. It needs to see a 'wave-pules' as the coil discharges. Yes, I can get it going....I need to get a small coil from a relay swaitch, wire in a resistor, and run the TACHO from the ECU to the coil, ground the coil through the resistor, and hook the stock tach wrie to the negitive side of the coil...it acts like a mini coil and gives almost the same signal. Just something I havent finished yet.....I may be cutting the cluster up and installing custom guages in it so just havent done anytyhing to it.

On mrbigtanker's AEM EMS4 I used a resistor between the TACHO output and +ignition wire to make his Autometer tach work. I'll check my notes to see what size you need and get back to you on that.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

On mrbigtanker's AEM EMS4 I used a resistor between the TACHO output and +ignition wire to make his Autometer tach work. I'll check my notes to see what size you need and get back to you on that.

Yes, that mod works with the newer type tachs. The ECU puts out a signal for those tachs and they need a resistor from the ECU to work. For the "old" style tachs, the curcuit in the cluster needs to see a "coil discharge" pulse to work. You basically have to wire in a coil just as if it were an ignition coil. Relay coils work fine and thats how I have to do it. AEM tech support admittedly said they do have no knowledge of getting the EMS-4 to work with the 70s style tachs. I hade to probe some UK forums to get the solution.

Thanks guys. I am doing the interior this spring, then pulling the motor out and tucking/painting the whole bay.

This is the FIRST trial at body work and painting. Although it came out nice, up close there are 1 or 2 places I didnt fill properly (well I actually was pressed for time to spray and cut the work short) but nothing that cannot be corrected.

Interior looks like "Ass after Habaneros" and the engine bay even worse. But it runs good and body is now good. I replaced all the spring bushing front/rear. All the joints. Shocks, wheel bearings, rear end...so its almost good as new mechanically.

340,000 miles on it to.  :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any new progress?? I'm kind of in love with this build.

Yes, made a new thread. Building a true truck block for better fitment for the PS pump, oil pan and engine mounts.

Stripping the engine bay, building a new wire harness, new ECU, new aluminum radiator, 50 shot nitrous, recovering the seats, carpet, ext.....

Its in a new thread.