1984 720

84720FourWheel

It rains here a lot. When I go for coffee, I like to park and then listen to the clock and the rain. I love that sound. My clocks were my two favorite finds so far- like gold nuggets! My first clock, I beat another guy to it by mere minutes. I am saving that install job for when the 4x4 interior is further along.

I like the blue bulbs and may need to copy your bulb choice there.  I like the yellow numbers, too. I saw a faceplate painted silver somewhere in this forum and wondered what that looked like installed and in day and night conditions. That looked pretty neat to me too. Nice- and fun-job! Clocks rock! (Say that three times fast.)

Be sure to give yours a quiet listen. That’s quartz, you know... How quaint. How analog.

• Like 1
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually fairly loud. The ticks are oddly pleasant though. They sell white glow through face plates on eBay, but not for the clocks.

I replaced all the bulbs besides the charge light and turn signals with LEDs. Since LEDs are polarity sensitive due to them being diodes they won't operate properly for the charge light. As for the turn signals, not sure why that didn't work with LEDs.

My speedo cable is also leaking gear oil behind the cluster, which I believe to be the culprit of my inaccurate temp gauge and finicky fuel gauge.

With all that cleaned off the cluster everything began working properly.

• Like 1

I want a working clock! Hard to find for the 80-82 square gauge dash. That's a good battery too. I have the same Autocraft Gold in my truck. Not $40 though, I paid $90 at Advance! I've had it for four years so far. Previous owner had a "silver" one for six years.

• Like 1

I'm lucky that Grady was willing to pick up that cluster for me. Otherwise I'd still be sitting with a stopwatch glued to the block off plate. I see the complete square cluster occasionally on eBay, but not for any good price. 

I was saving up for a red top optima, but 40 bucks for a battery is a sweet deal, and we got a cold snap so the old 480CCA wasn't cutting it. 

• Like 1

I saw a square clock on ebay about 5 months ago, for $40. I bought an entire ‘85 cluster, including tach, from Pick N Pull for $40. Just keep looking- it’s really great when you finally find yours!

• Like 1

it was 70 degrees out today, no wind and sunny, perfect day for some paint. 

Whoever originally applied the bedliner didn't sand the paint beforehand, so some started to flake off. The texture on the rear half of the truck didn't match the front either, took two birds out with one stone. 

76DcnQe.jpg

G8gGncB.jpg

I also fixed up some gouges I took out of the paint trying to break into it. (The locks froze and deicer/hot key weren't working)f19R0dC.jpg

The peely, rusty ugliness that was my door pillars had to go too...

azTMSvb.jpg

fVnusFe.jpg

Much better

79GUyCb.jpg

She's looking good :thumbup:

8hDtrWU.jpg?1

• Like 1

vUXVA0p.jpg

Sketched out the direction I want to take for my truck. Going for an overland/adventure rig.

I want to get a 4x4 and do this same thing with it. I used to have a single cab long bed 4x4, and I really want another because the 7.5' bed fits a twin mattress with room for all your gear on the end and sides!

• Like 1

I have a twin air mattress I keep in the back, fits between the wheel wells, and I can sleep with my feet hitting the tailgate and about 1/4 inch away from the bed end. I want  to build a raised platform to store the gear underneath. I usually stick most things in the back bit of the cab, and the water/coolers in the bed between the tailgate and wheel well.

Probably going to wire a 12v fan and some lighting into the shell, it gets too humid in there as of now.

Also ARB makes air lockers for the 29 spline C200 axle. Its for the 86.5+ hardbodies but I've got a suspicion that it'll fit in a 720. Also they recently released lockers for the R180 and R180A. 

Too bad they would cost more than buying 2 more 720s.  :sneaky:

• Like 1

My dream plan is to cut the back of the cab off a 4x4 truck, take the bed off, and custom build a camper onto it. Low profile pop top style so you can still get decent mileage, and go off road while having a tiny house on the back on your rig. That's far down the road though, I've got other things in mind first.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking great! I'm so happy to see that clock in your dash. Feels good to be a part of a great Datsun piece living on. Originally I never wanted a clock... All this clock talk though...  :hmm: I'm checking if Charlies is still in the Classifieds... 

• Like 1

OPCPYMI.jpg

The rain x was helpful today. It was raining a bit harder earlier.

Works only ok to good around town but is the tits on the highway. Don't even need the wipers on. I always dope up the windows for the Canby trip. Do the headlights too, makes getting the bugs off easier.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Had the 720 in storage for a few months. Bought a Pathfinder for a DD and winter beater.

Now I've got the 720 up on the lift to take care of the awful howl from the rear end. Got a new pinion crush sleeve coming from Nissan. Is there any common problems to look for in the carrier? It's got the c200 in the rear.

I've never seen metal shavings on the plug, and the gear teeth aren't chowdered up. The gear back lash seems a bit excessive between the pinion and ring though. Could a misalignment there be causing the howl rather than a bearing?

• Like 1