1984 720

84720FourWheel

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two 720s with working clocks wayno. They aren't all bad :-). And the hardest part of pulling your gauge cluster is getting the speedo cable disconnected. You have to reach in behind the cluster to do it.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

tuMGjZg.jpg?1

Got a new shift boot from Ebay to replace the tattered, gross old one. Overall, its a decent material, but was not sewn like the OEM. I had to cut the seams at the bottom so the hardware would fit. They also sewed the tube for the tie shut, so I tied a broken aux cord around it and cut off the long end. Not bad for 20 bucks though.

i also have some GM hood adjustment bumpers on their way. The ones from the GMT400 (88-98 C/K) series pickups fit nicely.

That's great that you found something the right color, it looks good. :)

Next time just go to the wrecking yard and look at all the small cars like Honda's and such with sticks in them, there are a lot of boots of all different sizes and colors, just find one in good shape that you can cut the extra off the bottom when you fit it, I do it all the time.

tuMGjZg.jpg?1

Got a new shift boot from Ebay to replace the tattered, gross old one. Overall, its a decent material, but was not sewn like the OEM. I had to cut the seams at the bottom so the hardware would fit. They also sewed the tube for the tie shut, so I tied a broken aux cord around it and cut off the long end. Not bad for 20 bucks though.

i also have some GM hood adjustment bumpers on their way. The ones from the GMT400 (88-98 C/K) series pickups fit nicely.

90s Honda's did, I am talking about small import type cars, trucks, SUVs, lots of them had stick shifts, Mazda's, Hyundai accents, the Rodeo, I go the yards around here and half of them are sticks, after a certain year they start becoming autos though.

Cars don't have stick shifts here. It's strange.

They have a ton of snow plows and not every road gets plowed immediately.

The state plows highways, the county sends out a fleet for the side roads, the city plows the city streets, and contractors get parking lots and some neighborhoods.

We are due for like 5 inches of snow tonight. And high winds tomorrow. There will be a lot of salt being spread now.

Another great thing about salt - it creates puddles when it's around 10 degrees F. But when it drops into the negatives, those puddles turn into nice, smooth sheets of ice.

• Like 1

Vehicles in Minnesota are 90 percent autos. And nothing older than 1994 really exists here anymore because of the road salt. 

Then how come the biggest classic car show in North America (Back to the Fifties) is primarily made up of Minnesota cars? Over 12,000 pre-1964 cars/trucks at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds. I don't doubt that the old imports are hard to come by, but the old-car hobby is NOT dead in MN because of the the salt...

• Like 1

Those aren't exactly daily drivers and don't see salt ever. I was referring to junkyard vehicles though. Generally everything prior to the early ninety's got scrapped due to rust. They are usually newer wrecks.

Every one I know who has a vintage vehicle either did a full restoration from a MN vehicle or bought it from a state outside of the rust belt.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Got sick of having to finagle my locks to get them unlocked, so I decided to change out the old locks for some newer locks with better keys.

IAlOFlbm.jpg

Plastic is still there, that was a pleasant surprise. Not sure what it was being held on with. Looked like sticky tack or something.

bX0JsLYm.jpg

I cleaned up the retainer with a wire wheel, I forgot to get a before shot. I'll get one when i get to the passenger side.

WzKCExzm.jpg

I got some retainers with the locks. They aren't in as good of shape as my originals but i figured I'd clean them up and paint them. Spare parts are nice  :thumbup:

MQ1yKlwm.jpg

Found the cause of my window rattle. I should be able to just glue it back in to the channel. Right?

• Like 1

That didn't work out as I had hoped. The felt was too brittle and just fell apart.

The door locks work great though, so the major part of the project was a success.

Tomorrow I plan on putting my clock in and replacing the bulbs with LEDs. Except for the charge light, I don't think that would work correctly with an LED.

• Like 1