74 620 KA24DE build

Kold91

This is my 1974 620 with an L18 and 4 speed in it.  Swapping in a 98 obd2 ka24de for more power, reliability and a 5 speed!

IMG_2150_zps92cc5ade.jpg

IMG_3224_zps0365e066.jpg

IMG_3231_zps6dad1e1c.jpg

Pulled the engine and tranny

IMG_3238_zps150b9559.jpg

Dirty bay

IMG_3242_zpsab822b8b.jpg

All clean

IMG_3243_zps517905c3.jpg

IMG_3240_zps52e3f78a.jpg

IMG_3239_zps6649c341.jpg

IMG_3241_zps2445a7f8.jpg

Perfectly good running L18 and 4 speed tranny for sale if anyone wants to buy them.  176k miles

stay tuned for the install!  Just waiting on mounts

• Like 2
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Olympic 4x4 in Snohomish could do it, but you are a decent drive from there. There has to be a local 4x4 off road place by you that could do it for you. There is a 4 wheel parts near you, if they can't do it they might know of a local place that can. 

I got fucked by all of the misleading info on the forums. I ended up getting a local shop to weld in the geoffreit inserts, which i found out the hard way will not work with the 620 center link - taper is too wide on the inserts. I guess a lot of the ratsun guys run the 620 link but i was not going to chance it. Instead of running my 620 center link and praying that it did not fall the fuck out, i had Rusty's Offroad (http://www.rustysoffroad.com) make me a custom drag link for about $100 quid which fit the geoffreit inserts like a glove.

You might be able to, but the taper is what takes all the side load of the steering. Seems like I read somewhere what the taper is, but I haven't been able to find it again. I have a steering arm cleaning. I will measure it and get back to you on the taper. Then you would just need the correct taper ream.

The "goferit" inserts will work though?  Seems like you could crank the nut down tight and call it good :rofl:

Yes you could. But to me it had a little too much wiggle room, and i did not like how far the joints went in. In other words the nut would max out and the joints had little to no movement left. 

You might be able to, but the taper is what takes all the side load of the steering. Seems like I read somewhere what the taper is, but I haven't been able to find it again. I have a steering arm cleaning. I will measure it and get back to you on the taper. Then you would just need the correct taper ream.

I believe it was you or someone else that found a whole taper kit for about $100? Seemed like a straight forward task wish i had a link to it.

This guy seems to have used the goferit product with good results. 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/44046-yet-another-ka24de-620-build-oics-heavy/page-5

If you look at the tie rod ends, the boots are completely collapsed, i did not want to drive around like that. Just did not seem to me like that's how a balljoint should sit in an arm or at least that's not how it was designed to work. Either way, my set up worked for me, others have gotten away with the inserts, so the conclusion it: OP has one of two options to go with. =)

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!  Got my goferit inserts welded in and flipped my center link, fits like a glove!

IMG_3333_zps68bec1ba.jpg

IMG_3334_zps459ff3f5.jpg

IMG_3339_zps2310d2a8.jpg

IMG_3341_zps18835bc3.jpg

IMG_3341_zps18835bc3.jpg

Got the motor in

IMG_3337_zps6634c6a1.jpg

IMG_3336_zps7b48bff7.jpg

Than I realized I have to pull it back out to get the tranny in...

Dropped the tranny on my hand

IMG_3342_zpsba0fe6be.jpg

That's all for now.  Gotta let my hand heal...