Salvage Yard 610 - "Anita"

EdwardK

So I'm adding onto my little Datsun collection; I just put a downpayment on a 610 coupe yesterday. We believe it's a '75 but until I run the vin # I'm not totally sure. Supposedly she's mechanicallys sound the guy said she ran great back when he could fit inside it. (about four years ago) So hopefully I can just clean all the gunk up, give her a tune-up and she'll fire right up.

She's got a clean l18 equipped with a/c(sigh), and I think it's the... HT? model/package.

Is there anything I need to keep an eye out for on these cars?

Also, I'm supposed to sell her after I done with her, (Bahahaha, how plans change.) so would it be better to turn her into a more modern sports car or restore her to original. (She's already all original exept the hubcaps. I guess it depend on how bad the rust is?)

Thanks guys!

-Edward K A

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Location of the car determines what to look for.

Near the beach? Rust will be EVERYWHERE.

Desert locales? Dirt gets into wheelwells and when wet will start to rot the sills and trunk floor.

Snow? If the jurisdiction salted the roads, the undercarriage will bear the brunt of the rust.

I have owned 2 610s, a sedan and a coupe. the sedan has always been in the desert and the coupe was closer to the ocean. The coupe was pretty badly rusted out.

good luck with the purchase. Welcome to the 610 society. And post pics before us nay-sayers start getting on you for not doing so...

Location of the car determines what to look for.

Near the beach? Rust will be EVERYWHERE.

Desert locales? Dirt gets into wheelwells and when wet will start to rot the sills and trunk floor.

Snow? If the jurisdiction salted the roads, the undercarriage will bear the brunt of the rust.

I have owned 2 610s, a sedan and a coupe. the sedan has always been in the desert and the coupe was closer to the ocean. The coupe was pretty badly rusted out.

good luck with the purchase. Welcome to the 610 society. And post pics before us nay-sayers start getting on you for not doing so...

It's been here in upstate SC for it's entire life I believe. But she has been sitting out in the weather for most of it.

Pics will be posted as soon as I get her home. (August sometime.)

If it has an L18, it should be a '73 (with the pretty bumpers and taillights) ...unless someone switched the engine at some point.

Not quite sure what the pretty bumpers are versus the ugly ones, but the vin  # called for the L18 so I assume it's original.

Beings this is the newer kinder Ratsun we will just continue to remind him for O-pics while patiently waiting, instead of beating him down like a stray dog that just pissed on your freshly powder coated wheels. Even if that's what it feels like just happened.

Welcome and nice find!

Not quite sure what the pretty bumpers are versus the ugly ones, but the vin  # called for the L18 so I assume it's original.

Okay, cool - it should be a '73 if the engine and VIN tag both say L18, but just to clarify:

1973:

CCC.jpg

1974-1976

20090809121020DSC08225.jpg

• Like 1

The white 610 is a 75-76. The 74 has the 73 bumpers protruding the body on shocks.

not entirely accurate early 74 cars had the "transitional" bumpers but later 74 cars had the later park bench bumpers the transitional bumpers were only around for a few months  

not entirely accurate early 74 cars had the "transitional" bumpers but later 74 cars had the later park bench bumpers the transitional bumpers were only around for a few months  

Well I just don't know then. XD I'll find out next time I drive by the place.

Beings this is the newer kinder Ratsun we will just continue to remind him for O-pics while patiently waiting, instead of beating him down like a stray dog that just pissed on your freshly powder coated wheels. Even if that's what it feels like just happened.

Welcome and nice find!

Heh, as I said, when I have photos I'll post 'em.

Thanks I thought it was a cool find. Kinda funny how I found it since she's sitting in a salvage. (But hasn't been touched because it's one of the owners project cars.) Was looking for parts for a minivan when I spotted it halfway across the yard. 

Okay, cool - it should be a '73 if the engine and VIN tag both say L18, but just to clarify:

1973:

CCC.jpg

1974-1976

20090809121020DSC08225.jpg

*Crosses fingers for the purdy bumpers*

• 3 weeks later...

spacer.gif

I picked up my "new" 610 earlier this week on monday. And after giving her a good once-over, I'm thinking definitely going to build something custom out of her instead of restoring.

So, the story behind this car is that I found it in a salvage yard about six months ago. Completely intact. The guy had only ever sold the hubcabs off. It was his toy car until about four or five years ago, but he got a little to old to get in and out of something this low. So it ended up in his yard. And it stayed there until I noticed it while I was driving by the yard one day. Since these photos have been taken I've washed and waxed the car, making it look really impressive actually, but I've yet to get a battery and clean the engine out to crank it. So whatever.

Anyway! Everyone wants pics, and I'll post more as I progress, but here we go;

Off the trailer.

1003037_158136894375961_1948346057_n.jpg

The rear...

995154_158136881042629_882131907_n.jpg

All of the windows have spots like these and the carpets are mush. I'm afraid to pull them up and look at the floorpan. 

998743_158136861042631_624570927_n.jpg

Bumper was straight, but the guy who owned the salvage admitted that the car had kinda been thrown around for the past few years.

1001724_158136954375955_853324544_n.jpg

All the leather in the interior is nearly perfect. I was amazed.

537170_158136967709287_2130086434_n.jpg

Sadly, the same can not be said for the dash, steering wheel, and carpets.

970299_158136974375953_724651318_n.jpg

Here;s the supposed "perfect" engine. I still haven't tried to crank her, getting cleaning supplies and a battery soon.

1004835_158137031042614_1298360170_n.jpg

'nother photo of the engine. I already replaced the plug wire set.

999434_158137044375946_353992632_n.jpg

• Like 1

The bumper doesn't look too far gone - any competent bumper shop should be able to straighten it out. (heck, you might be able to pull it back into shape by hand - the metal isn't very thick.)

It actually looks like it is the same color as the car in the catalog pictures!

Butterscotch 1800!!! You have an early car! (Build date before 12/72) What a find!

This one was built 10/72 :D The more I look at it (and wax it) the more it grows on me.

I may swap engine out of it into my truck so I can have A/c there and put a KA or CA engine in this one. Iunno yet. Still trying to figure out what's save-able and whats not. lol

Butterscotch 1800!!! You have an early car! (Build date before 12/72) What a find!

The bumper doesn't look too far gone - any competent bumper shop should be able to straighten it out. (heck, you might be able to pull it back into shape by hand - the metal isn't very thick.)

It actually looks like it is the same color as the car in the catalog pictures!

That's good to know, prolly be cheaper to straighten it than to replace it.

I'm pretty sure that's the same yellow color as advertised. It's gonna have to be touched up at least in spots. It's cracking and peeling all over the place.

Huzzah! She lives!

Got the motor unstuck, cleaned out the old oil crud, and she fired right up. Won't stay cranked for long, but I'm pretty sure I know the cause of such.

Carburetor needs a rebuild, after that I have to fix the brakes, (omg she won't stop! XD) and then I need to fix the hydraulic clutch, 'cause mine has no pressure. :P

• Like 3

If you want a good stock steering wheel for it, shoot me a PM. About to take mine off and it looks to be in pretty good shape. 

I appreciate it, but I'm looking for an older Momo racing wheel. XD

This pleases me.

Welcome :)

Thank you! Glad you like it.

buff it out, slap soem ROTAS on there lower it and roll it as it is.

change the hoses and fuel lines batt cables and maybe soem brake clutch parts should be good

XD I've got my eye on some Konig's currently. I'm looking into what I can do with the suspension, as I want something race-worthy. 

Engine swap, weight reduction, brake upgrades, roll cage, etc.

Got a lot to do.

..Can I even get parts for a carb or do I need to just bite the bullet and replace the whole carb?

Probably have to find another used carb to get what you need. Eventually you're going to start wondering why you just didn't buy a new Weber, though...   ^_^

But if you're set on an engine swap down the road, I'd either just drive it with no choke or find a cheapish used Weber. 

Probably have to find another used carb to get what you need. Eventually you're going to start wondering why you just didn't buy a new Weber, though...   ^_^

But if you're set on an engine swap down the road, I'd either just drive it with no choke or find a cheapish used Weber. 

Well phooey.

I guess I'll just get a weber, and when I do the engine swap transfer it to my 620.