Twisted Images Bagged, Body Dropped, & Rotary Powered 510

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been a fun couple of weeks.  I took the car down to the Datslocos show in Manteca on October 8th - trailered it down behind the Buick so I didn't smell like 2-stroke oil all day.

657.jpeg

658.jpeg

On the way home, the wagon developed a misfire - only at low rpm and idle, and it would clear up fine once you were moving.  Fortunately I was able to limp it home, but unfortunately I had another show the next day in San Jose!

A buddy of mine came over and dropped off his Silverado so I could tow down- yay!

Then his starter died the next morning as I was trying to leave for the show- boo!

So, I unloaded the car and drove it down to San Jose for Shukai!  The car did great- I've had problems getting to San Jose before, so this was an important milestone for me.  Then, while we were sitting in line to roll into the show for 30 minutes, my fuel pump died... 10 feet from where I was supposed to park!

Fortunately I was able to find another Holley Blue pump locally and get installed for the drive home.  I think all of the sitting in one place overheated the pump- it's only about 6" from my exhaust, so I'm going to heat wrap the exhaust and build a heat shield so it doesn't happen again.

659.jpeg

Both shows were a lot of fun, and the adventure makes them even more memorable.

You can see in the Datslocos picture that I cut out a grille and added fog lights to it.  I've always liked that look, so I figured I'd try to do it on the cheap.  Then, I ended up working out a trade deal with someone for a REAL grille, so I threw that on for Shukai!  

661.jpeg

662.jpeg

663.jpeg

• Like 3

In other news, PAS Magazine featured my car in their latest issue:

665.jpeg

Really nice write-up, four pages total plus a small pic on the cover- I'm stoked!  The magazine is still available for purchase here: http://pasmag.com/subscriptions/back-issues

I ALSO got some artwork of the car done:

510_sticker-1600.png

That turned out way better than I'd have ever imagined!  This guy is very talented.

You can actually purchase a sticker on my site: http://www.twistedimages.com/Twisted-Images-Sticker--Datsun-Slap_p_1279.html

One more post and I think I'm caught up!

• Like 5

Okay, one last round of updates for now.

I found a '68 license plate light and added that to my bumper:

664.jpg

It's always bugged me not having one, and my buddy Victor found this on eBay.

This last weekend I towed the car up to Plymouth for Scrape and Scare.  The issue with the wagon ended up being a bad EGR valve, so fortunately I was back up and running with my tow rig:

666.jpeg

I was only able to stay for Saturday, as I was running my show at Cal Expo at the same time, but I didn't want to miss the burnout contest!

Here's a video I made with some coverage- feel free to skip to the last couple minutes if you just want to see the 510 in action:

They said we couldn't move while doing the burnout, so I just laid the frame on the ground, hit the 2-step, and dropped the clutch in third!

Needless to say, I need some new rear tires:

668.jpeg

Good thing they're cheap!

• Like 7
  • 5 months later...

Five or six months between updates is about right for a car that's mostly done, right?

With show season about to kick off here in Northern California, I decided to freshen the car up a bit.  The engine bay and trunk were starting to show some wear, and there are places you just can't reach with everything assembled.

Fortunately, removing the grille, lights, front fenders and fender supports only takes about an hour:

701.JPG

I replaced the oil cooler lines with pre-crimped Parker hoses in the engine bay and on the front clip- and I'm sure some of you will be happy to note that the external lines are MUCH shorter than they were before.

I degreased all of the suspension parts, engine, and frame rails, and replaced some of the original hardware with stainless steel.  New brake pads, and I replaced the original Monroe shocks with a set of QA1s:

702.JPG

703.JPG

I pulled the trunk panels out and had them stripped and re-sanded and clear coated, and added some edge molding around the battery opening and air tank window.

Everything went back together nicely, and with my wheels freshly polished I loaded up the car for the Stancenation NorCal show in San Mateo!

704.JPG

Oh yeah- say hello to my new tow rig.  The wagon was an amazing car, but it was telling me it didn't appreciate being used as a truck... so I picked this Ford up.

Anyway, here are some pics from the show yesterday:

705.JPG

706.JPG

707.JPG

708.JPG

709.JPG

Took home First Place in the Old School class- I won't complain about that!  There were a couple of other 510s in the show that were very nicely built as well, so it was awesome to have the judges choose this rusty old thing over them.

With the first show out of our way, I'm starting to plan out this season's events.  Hopefully more photos coming soon-ish!

• Like 3

There’s something about this car you just can’t quite understand until you’re standing right in front of it. The juxtaposition between rat and fab work is nearly dizzying.

Thanks man!  I know a lot of people don't "get it", and that's just fine with me.  Everyone seems to have a suggestion on how I should build it differently, but as long as I love looking at it and I keep meeting new people at shows that dig it, I'm leaving it pretty much alone.

• Like 3

Thanks man!  I know a lot of people don't "get it", and that's just fine with me.  Everyone seems to have a suggestion on how I should build it differently, but as long as I love looking at it and I keep meeting new people at shows that dig it, I'm leaving it pretty much alone.

Full disclosure, I didn’t get it until we were talking about the build at the sacdat pare memorial run year before last. Just standing by it shooting the shit, your passion for the car was infectious.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not much new with the car- just been hitting a bunch of local shows lately and keeping it clean.  I re-worked the brake setup a little, and need to take it out when it's not so hot to dial in the front/rear bias.

Here are some shots from the Karmecca show last weekend:

711.jpg

710.jpg

712.jpg

June is full of birthdays, graduations, and a wedding, so my next show won't be until Wekfest in San Jose next month.  Hope to see some of you there!

• Like 4