Champion Aluminum radiator meets 510. Install:

Details:

1971 510 2dr Sedan with stock 1980 L20B

Champion Aluminum radiator 3 row (3 core)

These are commonly found on eBay for $225 shipped

Part number: CC487

Here is the manufacturer's website: http://www.championradiators.com/

I've had this on now for about a year with no issues.

Easy Peezy.

The first thing you will notice when you put the Champion side by side with the stock radiator is the stock unit has a metal flange on the sides that sits the radiator at an angle, and it straddles the metal lip that lines the opening in the core support (or radiator support) for the radiator. The Champion does not. No big deal.

Here is a shot of the mount on the original radiator:

021.jpg

020.jpg

Slide the Champion down and hold it against the core support.

012.jpg

The first thing you will notice is the core support has a metal lip about 1/4 inch around it. The side lips are fine, but the top lip needs to be massaged up, or, in other words bend it upward until the radiator sits flush against that lip and the two on the sides(about 1/6"-1/8"). Here is what it looks like before bending the lip upwards.

008-4.jpg

010-2.jpg

013.jpg

You will also notice in those pictures you will need to shim the gap between the core support and the radiator. Use whatever floats your boat. You will want it to be hard mounted i.e. a metal shim, or hard nylon, etc, not rubber (in my opinion). I used the tried and true method of using washers, which actually worked perfect. 5 washers on all four bolts was perfect. If my memory serves me, I used four 5/16" grade 5 hex head bolts about 1.25" long.... I will be changing them soon, because they are not pretty enough for me. (I was towing the car on a trailer, and all I could see in my rear view mirror, was the four shiny hex head bolts glaring at me throught the grill...) I'm going to swap them out for some phosphate coated metric button head bolts with Stainless nuts (you've got to have shiny nuts!).

017-1.jpg

024-2.jpg

The Emisions Control Relay won't just bolt back on in the stock place. You will have to hog out the hole to get it to fit.

015-1.jpg

Next, just tighten everything down and hook up your hoses.... The stock fan shroud will not fit the L20B plastic fan with clutch.... Without modification. I haven't started on that mod yet, but thus far I haven't had any issues with overheating, so I'm not sure it's necessary.

018-2.jpg

019-2.jpg

020-2.jpg

022-2.jpg

021-1.jpg

024-3.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe a link to the purchase place too..... the last one we installed we spaced it out more and used some pinch weld molding on the lip you pounded down .... and installed two pusher fans....not sure this method would work with the stock clutch fan .....but a option of r using electrics... car doesn't run yet so no verdict on the 2-7" pusher fans and there effectiveness but will add when the car is done....well that is if we still even use the internet by  the time the car is finished

nice.

i got one of their rads. its actually made by their "sister company," american eagle.

one is 2 rows, the other is 1, but they equal about the same surface area and champion/AE

will tell you that they cool the same.

one thing about spacing the radiators out, it is most beneficial to seal the space in between

the radiator and sheet metal, as air will take the path of least resistance...

an ugly but perhaps effective way would be caulking or something similar.

or that foam tape.

also, i got mine from ebay. find out the part number and then find one of their dealers that has it for the cheapest.

bought it for my 73 620, which does not work (even though THEY say it will.)

510 and 610 rads... one is taller and the other is wider.

i can make it fit but i have to cut some metal or somethin like that. havent worked on it yet i just

wanted to see if i could make it mount up real quick and maybe just drill some holes

nice.

i got one of their rads. its actually made by their "sister company," american eagle.

one is 2 rows, the other is 1, but they equal about the same surface area and champion/AE

will tell you that they cool the same.

one thing about spacing the radiators out, it is most beneficial to seal the space in between

the radiator and sheet metal, as air will take the path of least resistance...

an ugly but perhaps effective way would be caulking or something similar.

or that foam tape.

this is why we used the pinch weld molding ...... sealed against the fins nicely...

this is why we used the pinch weld molding ...... sealed against the fins nicely...

ah ok. sorry, i wasnt familiar with the term 'pinch weld molding' off the top of my head ><

ah ok. sorry, i wasnt familiar with the term 'pinch weld molding' off the top of my head ><

more commonly referred to door edge guard in the auto body world.......i never used it on doors though..comes in black ,  chrome and clear... I always use it on exposed sheet metal edges in projects i have done....i use the smallest stuff for sheet metal .. i think its 1/4 and 3/8.....they also sell it in a l shape instead of channel i always use the channel...u can cut v's out of it and it wil do 90's ..... has a little bead of adhesive down in the channel too......if your still head scratching ...next time u see the vato zone jc whitney chromed out truck thats local to u ... look at all the gaps ... they like to use the chrome door edge on hood edges,  fender edges , tailgate edges,  window edges,  edge edges.....apparently it goes well with the chrome mud flaps they purchase.....like i said i use it outside the spectrum of its intended use...one time on a home made pvc bong.....made a perfect mouth guard on one end....

• Like 1

But uh.... fram oil filter?

I pulled the engine out of a truck that had been "sitting for a year".  I'm only running it to flush the engine.  I've got 100 miles on it since the pictures.  I'm pulling the head tonight and replacing the head gasket.  After everything is back on, I will change the oil again, and run a Mobile filter with either Valvoline or Castrol 10w30.

• 4 months later...

Where did you find that Radiator Fan blade?  I cannot find one for my B210 (1976) anywhere.  Thinking of adapting a 280z clutch and fan since those are plentiful where I live, because I cannot find the fan blade for the clutch that belongs to my 1976 B210.  Cool pics.

Where did you find that Radiator Fan blade?  I cannot find one for my B210 (1976) anywhere.  Thinking of adapting a 280z clutch and fan since those are plentiful where I live, because I cannot find the fan blade for the clutch that belongs to my 1976 B210.  Cool pics.

It's just a stock 1980 720 L20B.

One option that I've been having success with;  go on eBay, search for Datsun 620, or Nissan 720, under the parts section.  You will find salvage yards listing parts of vehicles.  They typically have a picture of the entire truck.  Give them a call, or sometimes they have a link to their website, where you can make Internet purchases from.  See if they have your fan.....  Or check your local junkyard or Nissan Dealer.

Right away on both the goon one was a joke ....... I hope they take care of the issue...... There working on it ....... I'm worried we tig welded bungs in the bottom tanks but there no where near the leaks ...... Waiting on a call back from koolradiators and Brent

Really!?...... Wow....  Well I'd say your justified in your advisement not to buy one....  How long did it take for them to start leaking?  I've had mine for installed for almost a year now.

I have three ...two cores leek like sieves...the one in my truck is  a small leak the one for my good is a fucking water feature... water sheets down the core...

This was the exact reason that I didnt buy a Champion/Eagle unit. Their quality is so hit or miss... Spent the extra coin for that Koyo and am so glad I did. Quality is phenomenal. 

Jon, hopefully you get your shit sorted. 

Ha. There is a 76 B210 in my local yard. 

Measure your mounting hole width. 

• Like 1