"Woodle" my 1st gen 4Runner daily

Sold Junior to buy a 4x4. stepping out of the Datto family on this one but I've still got my Z.

Here she is just after I got home. More pics to come. Shouldnt be too much going on for a while, but eventually I would like to give her a lift and real long term plan is to body swap a 520 single headlight model on the yota frame and swap in a VW 1.9TDI. but thats years away, for now I'm dailying a yota..

20130707_170250_zps13ea970a.jpg

• Like 9
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

woa you sold junior eh? who bought it? was it that dude from the fun run?

well cool score. i've always liked those 1st gen 4runners.

Different guy. I had 3 people come check it out in just a few days. Sold it on tuesday. Still had another 4 people interested haha. 

The 1st gen 4runner has been on my mind for years (since before I bought the dime) and im stoked on finally owning one! Now I just gotta get my Z car on the road to get my datsun fix haha

Nice '87 oldskool! I'm lovin mine already and I only bought her yesterday! haha.

I'm a little too high on HC and CO to pass smog :mad: Doing a minor tune up now to try and burn the excess fuel... simple stuff, spark plugs, air filter, oil change...we'll go from there

Some cool stuff I found in the glovebox

20130708_175611_zpsa3202656.jpg

20130708_175629_zps00b4ed7b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

got stuck for the first time as well...also easier than I thought it would be. my auto locking hubs dont seem to work so I'm looking for some aisin manual hubs now. this is the result of 2wd, 35psi in the tires, a little sand and some major newb status driving (my first time out in the sand)

20130726_120719_zps4686bf02.jpg

20130726_115906_zps34b57736.jpg

got stuck for the first time as well...also easier than I thought it would be. my auto locking hubs dont seem to work so I'm looking for some aisin manual hubs now. this is the result of 2wd, 35psi in the tires, a little sand and some major newb status driving (my first time out in the sand)

20130726_120719_zps4686bf02.jpg

I made the conversion from Auto to Manual. You should have "auto" and not "ADD". Make sure, the conversions are different. The beauty of the conversion is that if you lock the hubs, you now have 4x4 shift on the fly. Literally, you do not have to stop to go into 4-wheel. That's how I use it when I go to Tahoe in the winter.

I got my rebuilt Aisin hubs from Wabfab.org

Just noticed you have the V6. Lucky.

How you like that shift on the fly? Pretty sweet eh?

I get to change the seals in my drivers rear axle. Dif fluid all over the brakes. Think my dif vent is clogged with mud. Got my parts from Marlin, will possibly change both seals and bearings tomorrow. Also got new vents on the way for front and rear.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering camo lol, I've also been thinking about bright colors...bright orange? baby blue? lime green? haha, i'm half tossing around the idea of one of those three with matching wheels...I don't really care about the steelies on it right now so I don't care about painting them rediculously...the roof I suppose I could always repaint if its too hard to live with...

One thing I'm pretty sure on is even if I keep it black, I'm gonna shoot it with a couple coats of clear gloss after I paint it. I haven't seen any 1st gen runners with gloss paint on the roof. probably because I've only ever seen the factory colors which to my knowledge were all flat paint