Yellow SR510

I bought this 1969 Datsun 510 6 months ago and have slowly been getting it road ready. The previous owner raced it for many years on the track and so it came completely stripped down to the bare minimums for track use so I have a few things to do to make it street legal. He wanted more power so swapped in an SR20DET but never got it to run due to wiring issues and so has been sitting since 2005. I happen to have a friend that specializes in electrical work that can get it working and so he and I made the 6hr drive to pick up the car. My friend will be the main one building my car and helping me get it all back together. This is my first project car so I look forward to learning a lot through the process from doing some things myself and working along side my friend (some of you might know him from here for his shifter that he makes--ATP)

The car came with an SR20DET red top engine, front mount intercooler, tial external wastegate, adjustable shocks, roll cage, Kirkey racing seat, Diamond 15" rims, wilwood disc brakes front and rear, sway bars front and rear, racing slicks, full exhaust, an LSD and a racing fuel cell. It also came with a few boxes full of spare parts.

Here are some pictures from when I got it (sorry for the grainy photos, they were taken from my phone, some of them are rather large as well)

IMG_0151_zps99102012.jpg

IMG_0159_zps63f3e7d1.jpg

IMG_0153_zps4cafa204.jpg

IMG_0155_zps1886ab11.jpg

IMG_0194_zps226f11db.jpg

IMG_0150_zps8a64c99d.jpg

IMG_0152_zps54a4f77a.jpg

IMG_0156_zps25449296.jpg

IMG_0166_zpsefa3e51c.jpg

IMG_0174_zpsaebcd0f8.jpg

Over the last 6 months we have made custom seat brackets for the corbeau bucket seats, a transmission tunnel cover to fit the new shifter, took out all the interior "rubber" flooring material, patched a few rust spots in the interior and parts of the engine bay. POR15 interior and removed rear seat rail, tore apart dash, took out all wiring from dash and engine bay in preparation for my friends custom wiring harness he is making. Spot welded and filled all holes in engine bay in preparation for bondo work along with pulling out all old brake lines, brake cylinders and steering box.   

IMG_0237_zps9c6d7351.jpg

IMG_0236_zps772eab4a.jpg

They fit perfectly!

IMG_0181_zpsc91dcc50.jpg

IMG_0238_zps1b59e601.jpg

IMG_0248_zps9006baf1.jpg

IMG_0246_zps9c50b381.jpg

IMG_0262_zpsdbea6345.jpg

IMG_0261_zps881fb94d.jpg

IMG_0266_zps64e5e42d.jpg

From this

IMG_0259_zpsebdb62da.jpg

To this!

IMG_0258_zpsf47f7760.jpg

This is what I had to work with...with every fitting!!

IMG_0288_zps899ef036.jpg

Some new things I have bought along the way:

Intake manifold

Clutch

Flywheel

Both of these were quite a surprise. We pulled the transmission off to find this HUGE twin disk clutch...which turned out to be an OS Giken from Japan!

Heater

replaced water pump

bought material to make top mount fuel rail

• Like 1
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_0268_zpse2034c41.jpg

IMG_0267_zps7e5484d8.jpg

IMG_0272_zps653ef5de.jpg

OS Giken twin disk clutch

IMG_0233_zpsc29dfba4.jpg

IMG_0234_zps49874de1.jpg

Old water pump

IMG_0253_zpsa171f6ed.jpg

New water pump

IMG_0255_zps792d31f9.jpg

Another surprise after finding the clutch fried was the inside of the transmission was covered in a thick layer of grease

IMG_0231_zpsa09cfee1.jpg

...after a few hours of scrubbing

IMG_0274_zpsa83aafaa.jpg

Here are a few more progress pics to catch up to were it currently is.

The previous owner did a really nice job with the exhaust

IMG_0187_zpsc0ce4ca0.jpg

IMG_0188_zps837a8026.jpg

IMG_0189_zps47f79733.jpg

See those parallel welds in the pipe? Those are fins that he put inside the tube to spin the air, I am assuming which is to help pull the exhaust out faster...never seen that before.

Cut the water heater metal hose in half because we will be rerouting the heater hoses to help keep them hidden and the engine bay clean.

IMG_0271_zps9df83efe.jpg

Some other random bits that I have picked up

IMG_0286_zpsb01414a4.jpg

The rubber heater hoses that connect from the core to the plastic piping behind dash and the kick panels at your feet under dash. They are in poor condition so i will be using them as a stencil to make new ones.

Also picked up a steering column cover.

Finally got the rear quarter windows in

IMG_0282_zps096b57e3.jpg

The bracket on one was broken, luckily the car came with an extra set of windows, one of which had a good latch, so I took it off the extra and put it on the yellow window

Nice shot of the cage with the rear paneling that it came with, which is in great shape

IMG_0283_zps490e6e99.jpg

My friend moved shops, from his 600sq ft. hole in the wall to this giant 3000sq ft. beauty!

IMG_0300_zpsa9efba7a.jpg

The 510 looks small in this place!

He has plans to have another lift in soon and eventually get a Dyno so he can get more into the tuning and performance which he loves.

• Like 1

Here is what I have been doing the last few weeks

IMG_0306_zps9662e78f.jpg

Bondo!!

This is my first time using the stuff and it turns out I kinda like it and am decent at it

Week 2

IMG_0334_zps39de2442.jpg

Done!

IMG_0337_zpsf99a1b17.jpg

Bondo/body work takes so much longer than I anticipated! It was a lot of work but I cannot wait to see it all one color and how smooth (or not!) it turns out.

That now brings us up to how it currently sits now that all the time consuming tedious work is done. We plan on having it running by the first week of August so stay tuned.

Still to come:

spray engine with black primer

install engine, steering box, brake cylinders, brake lines

finish and install wiring harness

reroute heater hoses

put fenders, bumpers, headlights back on

figure out intercooler piping and install

weld metal plate covering trunk (it currently is a big hole looking at the ground from taking out the aluminum plate that the previous owner tac welded in)

install gas tank, fuel lines and fuel pump

set battery in trunk and run cables

fab metal for new dash and housing for tablet

....im sure there will be more that turns up but that's all I can think of right now

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the first coat of the black primer/filler that the engine bay will be for awhile until I get a good paint job. It looks amazing!

IMG_0348_zps23fcdf45.jpg

The firewall is more like what it all will look like since we ran out of primer. The firewall is the only one with a thick coat, the rest needs more primer.  

This turned out to be a learning curve with mixing the primer, first batch we tried there was too much hardener for the temperature we were in so it fouled up the gun. Had to throw out what hardened then clean the gun and retry. Got it right the second time. Now I need to go buy more primer on Monday. After all the bondo work and it looking all funky with different colors and spots, I am finally getting really excited. I can see the final result of all the hard work!

My buddy just got in a new batch of shiny shifter parts! So order them while their hot!

IMG_0352_zps59ccbbef.png

Bad picture but here is what it looks like installed. Ill try and get a better pic this week, it really is a short throw shifter, not just a "short" shifter like so many out there.

IMG_0176_zps11b2f415.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So I have not posted in awhile... and that is because not much has been done. The shop got busy so the Datsun did not get much progress and the engine bay has taken way to long. I have been primering and sanding like crazy, I am to much of a perfectionist. It finally got to the point of putting a top coat sealer on and I went with retailers suggestion rather than a person I knew because it was cheaper. I tried the POR15 black chassis top coat instead of an epoxy primer filler because it was cheaper and it turned out to be a disaster. I got it perfectly smoothed throughout the engine bay then had it sprayed with the POR15 topcoat. It was way to shiny and textured than I wanted. So then we started sanding it completely off which was a pain! Its super sticky and did not want to come off, plus the texture of it left bumps that resisted sanding with 180grit. We got it almost completely off, thinking that the epoxy primer would fill in the rest of the spots that were not wanting to sand off. My buddy sprayed the epoxy sealer this morning, all looked good, then disaster...the primer reacted with the POR15 and started crinkling!!!!

...so, super frustrated as now I have to sand everything off pretty much back to the bondo then start over with primer, sanding then primer sealer....I am so sick of this engine bay...

So here was the engine bay, completely done and ready for top coat...

IMG_0392_zps21c902ec.jpg

and here it is after top coat of POR15...

IMG_0396_zps8b325f82.jpg

what a nightmare.

I have now sanded it all off and am ready to start primer coating again. Once that is done it all should be coming together quickly so stay tuned.

Look what I just got! New parts!

IMG_0398_zpsb0110212.jpg

IMG_0400_zpsaeae275a.jpg

Fuel pump, pre and post filters, fuel regulator, AN fittings and a new aluminum 10gal fuel cell. Had to ditch the old tank because it did not have a sender unit to tell me how much gas I have, so the shiny new one with everything I need already on it. I am starting to get excited again.

Today I sanded the engine bay for the LAST TIME. We will be spraying it tomorrow evening if all goes well then the reassembly begins. Along with sanding today I took off all the excess parts on the block, cleaned it and prepped it for a nice new aluminum spray coat to make it look new again as well as sandblasting and painting some of the engine block parts just to make sure everything is up to par with the engine bay and engine.

• Like 1

Nice work bro! I remember I was really close in buying this car! I'm glad someone with true dime love got it keep up the good work!

Subscribed!!!!!!

Thanks. It was a great find, it just needed a genius in electrical and some love

Nice looking car. It's very frustrating and discouraging when things go wrong like that. Glad you are working through it. Car looks like it will be a beast when all said and done.

I am getting very excited now, seeing progress and parts coming in now really got me motivated again!

Here are a few more things I got done while we wait to paint the final coat of the engine bay

Cleaned up the engine block and sprayed a lite coat of aluminum spray paint....man what a difference it made! Looks like its brand new!

IMG_0401_zpse6232ef3.jpg

IMG_0402_zpsb31c5e26.jpg

Also cleaned up a lot of the parts on the block

IMG_0403_zps7b6dc0cb.jpg

And did a little grinding on the top hat of the coilovers

IMG_0404_zpsd15312f1.jpg

Here is a quick update:

Engine bay is finished, spray painted all parts and ordered a few seals and gaskets along the way. If all goes to plan it should be put back together tomorrow and into the car depending if the seals come in/are in stock. When taking apart the turbo we found that the seals are starting to go since their was some oil in the housing...now I need to decide if I should replace the turbo now or wait till it goes completely...seems like a good excuse to go bigger sooner to me =)

Ill have more pics hopefully by tomorrow!

definatley put a bit bigger turbo on it while its out ! over here in aus we call them disco potato's ( garrett GTX2860) are a great one for increasing power and keeping the lag at a sensible place.

Ive heard of those, not sure if I will go that big though, I am researching turbos for what can give me: more power, not to much lag and at a decent price.

I have been cleaning parts then cleaning some more. Once you start you have to do EVERYTHING! at least that is how its felt for me. When one thing is clean and other parts are not, you(I) notice the dirty parts even more.

Finally got the gaskets needed to start putting the pieces back together, probably tomorrow we will set it back in the car. My friend was considering running the brake lines first before we drop the engine in so we will see tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

• Like 1