Just bought a 1971 521 for 5 large ($500)

pwrcat4000

4 speed with 97k on the odo. No rust shows except the rockers. It was originally orange, but is a burgundy/ primer color now. It needs some mech work but it is such a simple machine compared to my other cars, it is an antique (take that Tags/taxes man) this is why it think it is cool.

Here is what it needs

Master cylinder (Done) $38

Rad repair (Done) $40.

Change oil (Done) $30

Pressure wash 40 some years of neglect off the drive train (Done) $ 3rd degree burn from steam cleaner I will heal

LH window Regulator (LOOKING FOR THIS)

Fix tears in bench seat (Has Mexican blanket on it right now green and orange may end up using that)

Floor covering of some kind (Orange Shag?)

Get head lights to work (Need help with this)

Rear view mirror

Paint the American  racing wheels on it 6 bolts definitely not a GM (some color or back white)

Adjust brakes (That is why I am here well one reason suspect has to do with the master cylinder I just replaced)

Fuel filler hose (right now I can only fill to 3/4 a tank)

Hood adjustment and prop rod (using a boat ore now It came with the truck AWESOME)

Paint it ?

AC?  (I know I am a huge wimp)

Cruise control?

Bluetooth hand free radio.

Hit 160 mph in it (This is probably unrealistic)

I will post some pics later I just joined today I have been luking the forum for a week or two.

My other vehicles are

2008 Sym 200HD

2007 Mitsu Outlander

2003 MZ Moskito

1999 30th anniversary trans am

1978 SE Gold Trans Am

1923 T Bucket Roadster

1967 Deeztofeet size 12

:thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard. The headlight issue might be as simple as checking the fuse. The contacts on the fusebox get corroded and have a poor contact. Clean the whole fusebox in vinegar, like dip it in the vinegar and let it work its magic for 10-15 minutes and then scrub the contacts with a small wire brush. Slap new fuses, and you're good.

• Like 1

Skyblue I will try that on the head lights parking lights were working the other day but don't today

Just popped a rear brake cyclinder after I fixed all the bleeders,and bled all the brakes, now wating on parts from oriley LHR cylinder pads and rear drums got the front pads in drums looked ok.

Wipers dont work I expect to be working on electrical before I can really road it.

Replaced the plugwires today seems to run smoother cant get the idle down it is idle-ing really fast, only see two adjustment screws on the carb one looks like something to do with vacume advance and the other (i Ithink) is idle played around with them then took them both out and cleaned them with carb cleaner seemed to help a little but I am not relly sure.

All the vacume lines are capped (by some one) sans the vacume advance.

Firing order seems weird to me a v8 guy 1-2-4-3 looked on line on my phone said 1600 1-3-2-4 it will not run that way at least not smoothly

It is smoking alittle but not enough for me to freak out #4 spark plug was only hand tight may be reason for smoking

Broke the temp sensor wire out of the thermosat neck yeasterday guess I will need to replace that too.

But I am having fun getting dirty cant wait to get her on the road and do some work with it.

But alas I am going on the Bandit Run next week so may not get to it until the end of the month. gotta go... Yup I hear a bud light calling... Hello Beautiful!

• Like 1

Ah I was going clock wise so it is right clocwise 1243 is 1342 counter clocwise thanks CFTC

OK how hard is it to lower this truck the suspension is nominal at best now. (Rubber parts are split or just missing on the front) I am going to use it to service my rental properties so I am going to use it for "work" may have to eow a smalltrailer like to the dump or move a refigerator My tennants will think I have gone broke or crazy or both.

• Like 1

Complete wires.

521wires.jpg

FSM light wiring

LightWires.jpg

Edited complete diagram, headlights only.

HeadlightWires.jpg

You probably still need to get out the old school test light.   521 fuse boxes usually need cleaning. dipping then in Vinegar will clean them, rinse with clean water, and dry them after.

Do not trust a glass fuse that looks good.  The end caps on glass fuses are just soldered tot the fuse element, and when the fuse gets hot, it unsolders the fuse element, and the fuse still looks good.

Make sure the grounds are good on the truck.  The engine to the cab.  The engine to the frame.  The cab to the frame.  The bed to the frame.

The engine to the cab is critical.  If this ground goes bad, the cab grounds through the throttle cable, and destroys it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome.  I tell you what, I'm not missing the temperatures your getting back in Kansas this year.  You might need to put AC in that 521!!

Don't forget to post some pics here too:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54128-post-your-521/

[Click on the link below]  I'm not sure what happened with this guy, but you might be able to track him and get a hold of the guy that was selling the truck and parts and pick up some parts off him:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/50561-1972-521-budget-build/

Definitely buff the paint.  I buffed my 510 yesterday with Meguires Medium cut cleaner and some Fine cut cleaner, using my polisher DA.  It now has some shine back.