Finally got a 521! *work underway 8/14*

Steve521

Sorry about that.  Forgot it was set like that.  Try it again because I unlocked it.  Now I gotta go edit the ones where you can see license plates if it's gonna be open to the public.  :sleep:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the link working now?  I will just post all the pics if it's not.  B)

Yes it works now, as a slide show.

If you ever want to sell your gas door with the lock, let me know.

Looks like you have some work ahead of you, get it running, movable, and most importantly, it should stop by stepping on the brakes, then start the cosmetic part of it, they(fenders) get greasy working on the engine.

I like 521s, but they need more legroom.

Oh I have no intention of doing any cosmetic work before mechanical other than making it look like it's not abandoned (hence the buffing out...lol)  Wayno, I really don't have an interest in that locking fuel door and if you're willing to help me if needed (within reason of course ) on figuring out what will make this truck go and be safe and if you could give me some fuel door to put in it's place you could have it.  It does appear to be broken though but looks like all the pieces are there.

This weekend, I'm gonna tear down the brakes for inspection and put the battery in and check all the electrical.  Then I'll probably stab the dizzy and try to wire it (not great at wiring).  I do plan on buffing it out though because for some reason my house was reported for my Father in laws abandoned car (a Mazda 323) so I don't want to take any chances with the truck and if it looks like it's taken care of, it will be less suspicious.

wow get that truck all buffed out,it is starting to look good.cleaning the truck up nice and getting some small stuff fixed can more then be done at the same time.just do the normal tune up flush all liquids check all the rubbers and drive it,that truck looks better then some of the junk on this site,you will be just fine. :thumbup:

I have a clear title that's going to be transferred tomorrow so that shouldn't be an issue and thanks for the reminder that it's simple wiring.  I always under rate myself as a mechanic.  I'm sure it won't be that hard to do.  B)

Is it wired up yet.lol

Nope, I had very little time because of family issues going on (this unfortunately is the way it will be sometimes) but I did get out to try to put the battery in and found the positive battery cable is missing.  I thought, well I can use my jumper box and just hook it to the negative cable and the accessory wires at the starter.  Well I did and nothing came on at all.  I'll have to get a positive cable and put the battery in and retest it.  

Nope, I had very little time because of family issues going on (this unfortunately is the way it will be sometimes) but I did get out to try to put the battery in and found the positive battery cable is missing.  I thought, well I can use my jumper box and just hook it to the negative cable and the accessory wires at the starter.  Well I did and nothing came on at all.  I'll have to get a positive cable and put the battery in and retest it.  

Remember that the positive cable has 2 wires coming off it from the battery post, the big cable goes to the starter solenoid, and the big wire goes to the fuse block.

Thanks and I haven't even been able to touch the truck after that day.  It's been a frustrating family issues week and I've had all 3 of my kids all day everyday but there's light at the end of the tunnel because my Mom and Step Dad are coming down from Spokane to take my 2 older kids away for a week which will free me up to work on it along with my other obligations (there's a lot unfortunately) ... should have some time to tinker hopefully. ;-)  I should hopefully also have some time early Saturday morning as well to at least get the positive cable in and maybe stab the dizzy.  We'll see

Man, the suspense is just killing me and I want to get it running so bad so I know what else I'm up against ... going crazy :-/

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Had a question ... since I'm back to working on my 'lil blue gem should I post here of the progress or in my build thread in the Project Datto section?  Should I just post over there and then post here that it was updated each time, should I just move it here or just post over there?  Just wondering what the admins here want. ;-)  Progress won't be that great but I'm gonna commit to doing as much as I POSSIBLY can.

Alright, this makes sense Dan so what I'll do is move the discussion over here but I'll post something over there stating that I'm going to move it.  Does feel like updates belong in this section so done deal. :-)

OK, so I decided to just post my progress on my 'lil blue gem I call it.  Obviously everything started out here on this thread but some discussion and pics took place over in the "project datto" area.  Here's the link to that for anyone who wants to look at it.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/57463-steves-521-project-bre/

So, I'm finally happy to announce that the non running L16 is out and mostly stripped down (bottom side anyway at this point).  I have to open another photobucket account to get you guys the pics but I've got quite a few.  I've fought to hold on to this truck and I want to see it through to at least get it driveable and nice looking but time and money is NOT on my side unfortunately.  I am however much more dedicated to at least do WHAT I CAN WHEN I CAN.  Special thanks to Wayno for trusting me with his engine hoist/cherry picker for the engine pull.  I'll try to get the pics uploaded tonight.  B)

Very good ,do the engine bay since your in there.

And what's the plans for the motor.

I'll see what I can do with the engine bay but since the ultimate goal is to just get it running, driving and looking decent with the intention of seriously customizing it later when I have more money and time, I doubt too much will be done before the other engine goes into it.

I have an L20 that I bought used but in good condition and resealed according to Eagle Adam around last year that will be going in.  I just need to find the right flywheel before I can drop it in, then according to what I've read here, a larger carb, extended exhaust, etc.  I will put a much more powerful engine in it later on in it's life if time and money permit. ;-)  After I get it runnin' I need to put a windshield in, try to fix a little damage to the roof where the windshield broke and fix the brakes for temporary local driving.

You should use the L16 exhaust, it's the best thing your going to find, and you already have it, and it will work without a mod, as I have done it, that 520 you seen in my driveway had an L16 exhaust manifold with an unmodified head pipe on it, and as I recall it has an L16 intake manifold also with a weber carb.

As for the intake, I would likely use the L16 intake with the L20b on it for now if it is good, that is unless you can find/or have  the separate intake on the L20b you have now.

I have a few flywheels over here, but I suspect that none of them would be what you want to use, I am fairly sure there is a 200mm 200SX flywheel around here somewhere, once I got away from that one I never looked back, but it never actually gave me any issues, it was the perceived issues I was worried about.

Whatever flywheel you find, make sure you grab the throw out bearing collar that goes with it, you will need it.

So the L20b did not come with a flywheel?

You should use the L16 exhaust, it's the best thing your going to find, and you already have it, and it will work without a mod, as I have done it, that 520 you seen in my driveway had an L16 exhaust manifold with an unmodified head pipe on it, and as I recall it has an L16 intake manifold also with a weber carb.

As for the intake, I would likely use the L16 intake with the L20b on it for now if it is good, that is unless you can find/or have  the separate intake on the L20b you have now.

I have a few flywheels over here, but I suspect that none of them would be what you want to use, I am fairly sure there is a 200mm 200SX flywheel around here somewhere, once I got away from that one I never looked back, but it never actually gave me any issues, it was the perceived issues I was worried about.

Whatever flywheel you find, make sure you grab the throw out bearing collar that goes with it, you will need it.

So the L20b did not come with a flywheel?

No it did not come with a flywheel and that's good to know with the exhaust.  I pulled off the clutch and the flywheel today but I literally forgot to check how many bolts it was ... lol!  That's how fried my brain was today.  I'll go look.  No bolts or studs broke but I left the manifold in the truck which was kind of a bitch because of that long tube on the left side of the engine.  I did notice that the clutch disc itself looked almost new so someone's been in there.  I'll go check now on what the flywheel is that came off of the L16.  The exhaust ports as seen in one of the pics are squared so hopefully like you said, my existing exhaust will work for now at least.

I guess it depends on what year L20b you have, does it have a W58 head?

It's highly unlikely that you would have a flywheel on that L16(5 bolt) that would fit an L20b(6 bolt).

I don't know and the L20 is slightly buried right now.  I've got some pics of the L20 when I got it so I'll get those reposted if I can find them.  xD