Finally got a 521! *work underway 8/14*

Steve521

Oh, I wish I had a lot of time to reply because I'm really wanting to but I'm in the middle of a bunch of home renovation projects and one of them is to clear out my garage of past storage stuff to make room for the truck and to part out or fix to sell my Civic.

THANK YOU so much guys for the info.  I'm so excited to talk with you guys more.

Thanks Wayno and DanielC for the tips.  I value any input you guys offer.

I will take a little bit more time tonight to reply specifically but I want to answer Daniel's questions about me.  I've never been a very good diagnostician when it comes to cars so electrical and driveability diag. I'm not very skilled at but I've been a professional automotive mechanic in the field for over 20 years and can R&R just about anything professioinally. I used to go by the "Car Surgeon" because of how miticulous I repaired/performed maintenance to vehicles.  I still own all of my tools that I've accumulated over those 20 years and have them at home including air tools and a compressor.  I also am NOT a fabricator and have never been able to weld very good even though it was one of my auto tech classes in college...lol!  So, since a couple of my plans for the truck are going to take fabrication, I'll probably be contacting someone here to pay to do it when I can afford it and when that step comes in the project process.

Thanks again guys, I'm very excited to be involved in this community!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome, another 240 guy! I was a nico/freshalloy/240sx.org guy for years... same story but 4 kids not 3, and s14 not s13, and seattle not portland... anyway can't wait to see your 521 cleaned up and dropped... Im still a new guy here too but welcome all the same.   

Well, kind of a bummer but I don't have much time to reply directly to posts but I wanted to post this pic because it's hillarious.  A good friend of mine that lives in St. Louis did a little funny photoshop job and posted it on Facebook (no, not a Facebook fan at all).  Anyway it was so funny, I just had to provide a link here. 

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/947201_616963341655290_2113222460_n.jpg

I already told him too that I may be calling on him to do some more photoshop work. xD

Anyway, I really want to get to know everyone here and respectfully respond to most posts so I'll do that this weekend when I have some time. 

thats a awesome truck and one of the best colors out there.

I would get it running, ck the king pins,

polish the paint and lower it call it good.

get all new hoses for this as most are rotted or close to going bad believe me.

most proplem are in or around the fuse box for electrrical proplems.

alwasy ask first. these are very simple cars.

ps 521s use alot of SAE sizes so dont assume everything is metric.

People love my 521 and it dont break the bank to own a classic.

save these 2

olddatsuns.com

http://vimeo.com/19077890

• Like 1

welcome, another 240 guy! I was a nico/freshalloy/240sx.org guy for years... same story but 4 kids not 3, and s14 not s13, and seattle not portland... anyway can't wait to see your 521 cleaned up and dropped... Im still a new guy here too but welcome all the same.   

I don't even remember my nico forum name back then but I sure loved my car.  I will search for pics and post them.  I only was able to keep it for about a year or so because of family expenses but what's funny is I sold it to someone from Seattle and I bought it in Kent while living in Portland, well Gresham at the time.  It was kind of a rare platinum blue color '89 hatch S13 with front lip and deck spoiler and best of all a 5 speed.  I had to put valve seals on it (original KA motor stock) because it smoked but it sure was a fun car.  I had big plans for it but it just didn't work out. :'-(  As far as seeing my 521 dropped, that might take a while because I'll probably barely be able to afford to get it running and cleaned up...lol!  I love this truck though and can't wait to start on it and unlike my other cars, I'm not giving  up on this one!  

thats a awesome truck and one of the best colors out there.

I would get it running, ck the king pins,

polish the paint and lower it call it good.

get all new hoses for this as most are rotted or close to going bad believe me.

most proplem are in or around the fuse box for electrrical proplems.

alwasy ask first. these are very simple cars.

ps 521s use alot of SAE sizes so dont assume everything is metric.

People love my 521 and it dont break the bank to own a classic.

save these 2

olddatsuns.com

http://vimeo.com/19077890

Thanks and after reading so many threads on here, those goals are already on my to do list.  I have a vision of special "sporty" plans for the truck in the future (hopefully near future :-P) so I will definitely be lowering it and buffing it out after I get it running of course. ;-)

welcome to ratsun i'm new to here myself I just bought a 521 last week I own a goon, the 521 came with extra dizzy if you need one PM your address and i'll give u 1.

Thank you so much for the welcome and the offer.  I think I read your thread the other day.  As far as the distributor is concerned, I'd love to have that just in case it helps get it running if you don't need it yourself but I've been advised to get a late 620 or early 720 coil and dizzy by the pros here.  I will send you my address though PM but please let me pay you back at least for the shipping.  I'm so new to the classic Datsun scene though that I should probably ask someone if I need yours so I'll do that then get back to you.  I just don't want to take yours if you could have an extra one laying around for your own use.

So I went and found pics of my previous S13 Hatch ... GOD I miss it!  I had just sold my '71 350 4spd. Camaro to my Dad for financial reasons and wanted an S13 vert but it just seemed too expensive to buy one in nice enough shape so I looked for a 5 speed hatch and drove to Kent, WA to buy it with about a 1/3 of the money I got from the Camaro because a guys gotta drive something right??  lol.  Hopefully it's OK to post these here (figured it would be OK since I've seen others do it).  The only thing I even got to do with the car was replace the valve seals and clean it up nice.  Had plans to drop it (OF COURSE) and see where the future went for it.  Well, financial issues struck again and I had to sell it within about a year.  The guy I sold it too seemed like he wasn't gonna butcher it at all and just wanted to do cosmetic things mainly to it.  Haven't seen it since mainly because it went back to Seattle area.  There's a BIG difference between the S13 and my new 521 project though.  We're not as bad off now and I've gone sooo long without a nice car or project that if I keep the costs down and we use it to haul things when needed, there aint no way I'm gonna sell it.

82a69777-de31-4667-90cd-7f6f28ed4346_zps

220db647-6748-4308-a6ec-5fb91798be22_zps

662fa136-ed98-4e78-a52b-417662acf356_zps

Yes, I will start a build thread but technically haven't started building it...lol!

Update:  Pretty excited because the Matchbox distributor and coil I purchased should be here today and the truck itself will finally make it home on Monday!  :w00t:   Now if only I knew what the rear brakes are gonna need.  All I know is that it has blown wheel cylinders like they typically do.  When I looked up the parts it shows two different sizes so I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to find out what I need.  :geek:

I think the size of the rear wheel cylinders is really not that critical.  The 13/16 ones will apply a little more stopping power on the rear wheels.  If you haul heavier loads, or are contemplating a disk brake swap on the front wheels, I would go with 13/16.  If you are not going to put disk brakes on the front of the truck, 3/4 would be fine.

I think the rear wheel cylinders are still available from Nissan.  They do cost more than other sources, but you also get ones made in Japan, and they include the bleeder/ banjo fitting.

I think the size of the rear wheel cylinders is really not that critical.  The 13/16 ones will apply a little more stopping power on the rear wheels.  If you haul heavier loads, or are contemplating a disk brake swap on the front wheels, I would go with 13/16.  If you are not going to put disk brakes on the front of the truck, 3/4 would be fine.

I think the rear wheel cylinders are still available from Nissan.  They do cost more than other sources, but you also get ones made in Japan, and they include the bleeder/ banjo fitting.

This sounds good but if he had to stop quick or hard braking would it not lock up the rear wheels.

so what does that have to do with your 521,cmon get er done.lol

Oh I plan on it, as soon as it gets here. xD

Cool, thanks Daniel, I'll check with Nissan then on Monday morning.

OK, so I got the truck home and I'm very happy but a tad bit disappointed too.  The bad things that I didn't notice before I bought it:

- The dash pad is just mangled (noticed some of it but not all of it till now)

- When I was pulling the truck off of the flatbed the tailgate popped open on me on the left side so I looked and there's quite a gap difference between left and right 

- There is a rust hole on the lower part of the right front fender which means I'll be replacing that fender now since it has a dent up by the headlights anyway

- The roof is actually dented and *don't have a clue how I didn't see it since it looks like it's what caused the windshield to crack*

- There's a lot more dings/minor dents in the right rear bed side than I could see before.  

Well enough with the bad news, the good is that the paint is buffing out fairly nicely as you can see in this pic.  I'm also including a slideshow for the rest of the pics of the truck with no work other than the buffing of the fender.  There were some extra things that came with the truck so they are in the slideshow too.  I haven't really looked through the stuff yet but I will tomorrow.

IMG_20130715_203351_781_zpsf635f5b2.jpg

This is my last post about the truck here because it's time to "BUILD"  lol  and I'll be documenting it in the build section.

Click here >  Slideshow link to all pics of the truck

OK, so I got the truck home and I'm very happy but a tad bit disappointed too.  The bad things that I didn't notice before I bought it:

- The dash pad is just mangled (noticed some of it but not all of it till now)

- When I was pulling the truck off of the flatbed the tailgate popped open on me on the left side so I looked and there's quite a gap difference between left and right 

- There is a rust hole on the lower part of the right front fender which means I'll be replacing that fender now since it has a dent up by the headlights anyway

- The roof is actually dented and *don't have a clue how I didn't see it since it looks like it's what caused the windshield to crack*

- There's a lot more dings/minor dents in the right rear bed side than I could see before.  

Well enough with the bad news, the good is that the paint is buffing out fairly nicely as you can see in this pic.  I'm also including a slideshow for the rest of the pics of the truck with no work other than the buffing of the fender.  There were some extra things that came with the truck so they are in the slideshow too.  I haven't really looked through the stuff yet but I will tomorrow.

IMG_20130715_203351_781_zpsf635f5b2.jpg

This is my last post about the truck here because it's time to "BUILD"  lol  and I'll be documenting it in the build section.

Click here >  Slideshow link to all pics of the truck

That link is no good, it says the album is private, you need to change your settings.