New here - My 620

*fart*

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The paint is only a few years old, and the body is nearly perfect!  The front bumper is pushed up a bit on the passenger side... may have been in a fender bender at some point...

They painted it but didnt restore the underside... thats on my to do list... take care of a few rust spots on the floor and get a good undercoating...

Spent some more time on the truck this weekend.  Found out that one of the previous owners welded that bumper to the frame rail... I get the angle grinder out and cut the rear bumper off...

Car actually rides a bit better not having that 50lb anchor bouncing off the rear shocks...

Just have to make a new license plate mount and that will be all done...

Are there any good links for some replacement stock parts?  I cant seem to find a set of shocks anywhere? 

The PO told me that they put heavy duty shocks on the back because they had hauled some shit with the truck years ago... Need to replace them with something a little bit smoother...

Truck tries to throw me out of the seat when i hit some big bumps...

Are there any good links for some replacement stock parts?  I cant seem to find a set of shocks anywhere? 

The PO told me that they put heavy duty shocks on the back because they had hauled some shit with the truck years ago... Need to replace them with something a little bit smoother...

Truck tries to throw me out of the seat when i hit some big bumps...

Check out Rock Auto.

www.rockauto.com

Thanks for the link.  I dont think something is 'wrong' with the suspension...   It just has 40 year old bushings im guessing, and old ass rusty shocks...   It just needs a good going through to tighten everything up again...

• 3 months later...

haha... just seeing this now... been busy working on this thing lately... I think the bars are still kicking around somewhere in my shop... Shipping to left coast might not be worth the bars tho... hahah...

Truck has been going great... sorted out a bunch of problems lately and its running and driving better than ever! 

Just got some 2" lowering blocks the other day... gonna drop it this week so ill have to get some pics up...  I hope 2" is low enough for me... im planning on some 205/65/15s for wheels/tires...

Anyone interested in these 4 stockers and a spare?

So i got the 2" lowering  blocks installed last night.  Truck sits just about how i want it now... Might lower the front another .5" or so...   Then i have to get some new wheels and tires and see how it looks...

Not sure what im gonna do next... i want to do some minor painting and cosmetic work... make a license plate mount etc...

But the biggest thing i am starting to plan for the winter is swapping in a 5 speed... I know this has been covered a ton on this forum... but what years/models/or tranny codes should i be looking for? 

I just need some more top speed on the highway...  I will probably keep the L series motors in the truck... possible upgrade to a L20 when this motor dies... or just beef up this motor with a cam and some other simple work...

My setup currently is 74 -620  L18 Weber 32/36 Progressive two barrel w/4speed tranny....

haha... nice!  I should get some lil hustler stripes.  Too bad I got rid of that bull bar..

This is the truck with a little lowering in the front and 2" blocks in back.  Its hard to tell what it looks like because its in the dark...

I still plan on dropping the front another inch or so... Then I want to get some new wheels on it to see what it looks like before i lower any more... I still want the truck to be nicely drivable...

Datsun+side+01.jpg

Datsun+side+02.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys... ive been searching for tranny help but cant seem to find much usable info...

I have a 74 620 with an L18 4 speed.  As far as i know everything is original. 

I would like to have a 5th gear as im doing a decent amount of highway miles.  Also my clutch is chattering like crazy... i dont think the PO was a very good manual driver... heh...

Ive looked at a couple build threads and cant seem to find the info I need... I would like to keep the stock motor for a while (I would possibly swap over to an L20 if I have too many problems/blow up the L18).  Im just looking for a good solution to getting a better cruising speed. 

Since i think my flywheel is either warped or cracked it makes sense to swap a tranny and get a new clutch/pressure plate/flywheel etc. at the same time.

Are there any rear end swaps that keep the stock 4 speed but give you a better final drive?