New here - My 620

*fart*

Hey guys,  Been searching for a nice datsun for years.  Ive been into MkIII Toyota Supra Turbos for a long time... has a short spurt in Dodge Omni Glhs... and most recently have gotten deep into motorcycles...

Needed a truck to haul around bikes, so I started searching for a Datsun truck... Found one this past weekend that I couldnt pass up...

Selling my DD Honda Element, and plan on making the Datsun a Daily Driver...

Put a deposit on it but wont be able to pick it up until next weekend probably...

photo.JPG

• Like 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha.. .It looks showroom for sure.  Paint is a few years old...

Needs some work tho.  Carb is all wonky, so i have to sort that out.  Leaking oil pretty bad, and needs some attention to the cab floors...

But overall it is solid...

First up is lowering the truck.  Maybe getting some wheel spacers to stick the wheels out a little bit. 

Been reading up on these things... Front seems easy to lower by un cranking the torsion bars...

Back seems simple too.  Probably gonna try and lower the back 2-3" with blocks.  I was reading a write up on this and they say to use longer shocks to match the lowering blocks?  Anyone have info on this?

Also does anyone make wheel spacers for these?  Or am i going to have to machine my own?

Cheers!  Cant wait to drive this damn thing.. .

Really clean, like that paint color too.

I see it has commercial plates on it, any idea what it was used for?

Being how its gonna be a DD, why not fix the problems it has first and then do the lowering? Dont get me wrong, lower is cooler but it wont be cool when you cant make it to work one day ya know?

Good looking truck, cant wait to see more pics of it!

First up is lowering the truck.  Maybe getting some wheel spacers to stick the wheels out a little bit. 

Back seems simple too.  Probably gonna try and lower the back 2-3" with blocks.  I was reading a write up on this and they say to use longer shocks to match the lowering blocks?  Anyone have info on this?

No wheel spacers, it'll look wonky. Instead get wider tires. The 620 came with 6:00 14s which is today's 175/75R14. These would be about  6.98" wide and 23.65" tall. A 255/55R14 would be almost 9" wide or about an inch wider on each side of the rim you have. Best of all the 23.74" height won't throw your speedo out.

Another thing to consider is just changing the rears. The narrower fronts will make the wider rears appear even wider than they are.

Lowering blocks.... The shock length isn't changed. What you are doing with lowering blocks is raising the position of the rear axle on the spring.

• Like 1

I should be able to fix the issues pretty quickly... Someone put a really minimal air cleaner on it.  So i need to find a stock air cleaner assembly... seems to be running a bit lean...

Truck has only been driven a couple times a year for 20 years... the owner put 20k miles on it in 20 years... Not sure what it was used for ( the commercial plates )...

Im guessing it just needs a good carb cleaning, and possibly some engine gaskets up front... Oil seems to be leaking from the oil pan gasket and a few other places.  But nothing major. 

Other than that i want to get rid of the diamond plate rear bumper and put a stocker on it...

Thanks datzenmike - That kind of info helps... Havent had a car project in a while.  Have to re-learn a few things...

Been looking at like 15x8 wheels..  Prob run like a 55-60 sidewall.. 

What is the stock offset?  Any recommendation on offsets?

wow what a clean ass truck.

for wheel width and offset. 8" works pretty well, with 0 offset.

im running 16x8.5 -10 all around, lowered 4 or so up front and 3"

in the back. running 225/45 front, 245/45 rear.

if youre looking for a set of wheels i have some, check out the classifieds.

mostly 16x8s but if you want a set of 15s i can find you some in japan,

they go for pretty cheap.

Thanks guys,  Definately debating about wheels.  Would love some Panasports... but i will be broke really soon. 

Might just run something like this for a little while... Any opinions on 15 vs 16?  In my opinion i want to keep some rubber... Had 17s on my supra and 16s on an old crx I had back in the day... Want this to look stout rather than have alot of rim...

Would probably paint a flat/matte clear on top of these to take some of the gloss out.. nice and cheap for new wheels tho...

$(KGrHqR,!pIFEliIVIT3BRshpWmnL!~~60_1.JP

Here are a few photos of the old supra I had... Miss her...

3622610075_large.jpg

3622610073_large.jpg

^ was gonna say the exact same thing. 

and now im moving up to 17s for even more tire selection,

and because although i like a fat footprint, i dont prefer a tall

sidewall.

for example:

225/45/16 is 23,9"

225/40/17 is 24.1. so i could either go down or up to 35/45

if i wanna gain or lose sidewall/stance

Thanks for the replies.  I am opposite... I cant leave anything stock.  Always feel like I have to change something to make it my own...

Im def not going to defoul it... Keep everything reversible...

Motorcycles are the same way for me... into a lot of vintage stuff, and as soon as i get them i cut them down to nothing.. haha...

Didnt think about tire selection for rim size... maybe ill look into 16s... still not sold on what wheels I want, but my taste is def limited by my budget... heh

Just picked the truck up last night... Was cruisin around quite a bit with it...   loving it so far...

Its running way lean... PO had a super old square air filter on the carb.  Looks like an old kn or knock off.  Its shot - you can see through parts of it the mesh is so destroyed.  Because of that the carbs are dirty as hell looking into the throats. 

Gonna pull the carb tonight and clean it out... Drill out the fuel screws so that can be adjusted to a high flow air filter.  After that it should run mint...

Its leaking a decent amount of oil from a variety of places... have to start sorting some of that out too...

Ill get MOAR pics tonight...

cheers!

Here we go...  Got the carb sorted out... took those rails off the truck.  Looks better imo...

Have to go over the other maintenance... points, tranny, diff, plugs/wires...  then it will be running top!

Datsun+620+00001.jpg

Datsun+620+00002.jpg

Datsun+620+00003.jpg

Datsun+620+00004.jpg

• Like 3