1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief WT

This is the 79 Jeep that had the jammed rod bolt seen here: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55991-rod-cap-stud-stuck-in-crankshaft/

I've got the engine pulled. I've been practicing my waterpump/timing cover removal spiel. Getting things down pat on this junk motor before I move onto my runnable 360.

IMG_20130627_111325_zps7c2b3bf4.jpg

IMG_20130627_111338_zps6dc05d25.jpg

IMG_20130627_111411_zpsb4a8f126.jpg

IMG_20130627_111421_zpsdf9fa35b.jpg

IMG_20130627_111429_zps1234fc7a.jpg

IMG_20130627_111446_zps4545a896.jpg

Plans for the engine going in:

Double Roller timing chain

Re-use Waterpump from junk engine (looks new)

New Rear Main Seal

Gaskets (timing cover, water pump, oil pan, front seal, etc)

Examine oil pump/rebuild if necessary

New exhaust bolts (purchased from BoltDepot)

New Ignition stuffs (Rockauto: distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs)

Paint engine red

Get rid of all the mud

The 360 I'll be using is from an older J10 truck, so I'll do my best to adapt to the older emission-less intake manifold. There's not a lot of difference between them.

Alongside all that, I'm going to salvage the heads from my junk 360 and put them on my 304 engine (bought two motors from a fellard for $200).

• Like 10
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right. I was doing some reading on that yesterday and came away disappointed. I can't use my 360 heads on the 304 :-(

I tore the 360 motor apart that I am going to use in the Chief. While replacing the two piece rear main seal, I noticed that I had some deep scores in the rear main bearing. I'm going to check the rest of them and get the crank turned at a machine shop (or buy a crank kit).

• 2 weeks later...

I tore down the 304 I have mainly to figure out why I was encountering resistance when trying to rotate it by the crank bolt. A few of the lifters had seized in their bore. The heads need a valve job too. Good news is that the crankshaft looks pretty decent. I'll swap it into the old 360 that I pulled from the Jeep along with the rods (if they are the same length).

Got my new crankshaft in the mail today too. Rockauto had the best deal on them. This one has 030 mains and 020 rods and was done by Standard Crankshaft Co:

IMG_20130711_121539_zpse5fd6d85.jpg

IMG_20130711_121600_zps1b8a84df.jpg

The core charge is only $35, so I doubt I'll be shipping one back. Paid $219 total, shipped.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I think the loudness is at an acceptable level b/c I've driven by at least 3 cops. None have pulled me over.

Was at the post office today dropping of a box of VW pistons/cylinders. When I went to crank the Jeep, it took couple tries and a pat on the gas. It fired up on one cylinder at a time it seemed like. Had to pat the gas some more to break into a true idle. Sounded like a hot rod, but at the same time I felt kinda silly.

• 3 months later...

I measured the end gap on my timing cover and oil pump gears. Put in bulltear's midplate and .007 gasket. My hot oil pressure is better now (20 psi). The tailgate window rattles like a sob though. I need to find me some window wipes, perhaps something universal because the one's sold at specialty shops are too pricey (bj'soffroad).

• 1 month later...

I've got this plastic see-thru fuel filter just prior to the mechanical fuel pump in the engine bay. Thing is, it always shows about half-full (even with the motor running). I think that's a little odd.

I don't know how much gas is in it. I haven't dropped the tank to address my gas gauge and everything yet.

• 4 weeks later...