4wd 1973 620 pickup

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty I will stick to my previous recommendation that 35's are as far as I'd push the frame.

After all we are talking about a 30 - 40 year old unit here. 

A common problem I se in this industry is tire greed. Bigger is not always better. But it's always more expensive, In many ways.

A nother consideration is the strength of the running gear. While Dana 44's are legendary axles and can handle the loads a 35" tire will apply to them .Going beyond 35" requires some re thinking . Chromo axles aren't cheap.  Nor is properly trussing the axle .  

I'm using several different sizes of DOM tubing , rec tube and square tube.

Bumpers will be built up using 3/16" plate.

Most of the exo will be a combination of 1.5 and 2" tube..

I buy my supplies at Columbia steel . As to you. I'm not sure.

You might want to keep that tidbit under you're hat. $475 is pretty cheap for a matched set of 44s that come attached to the rest of that running gear........

Hope it works out in you're favor.

PS: Make sure and ID that front axle. Most if not all 74 Wag's had a 30 up front.

getting the jeep on sunday. will my stock datsun 6 lug wheels fit on the jeep, because the guy sold the tires already. 

They would be the same 6 lug pattern, but they will need to be at least a 15" wheel.

i was thinking i might just strip the jeep of its frame and put the datsun body and bed on it. is the stock engine transmission combo of the jeep strong enough to handle 38inch super swamper iroks?

Yes the stock engine and transmission in the Jeep will be able to handle 38"s but the axles will be pushing their limits.

Well . The Jeep will be SPUA in front  and SPOA in the rear.

You can do an axle flip in the front and a shackle flip in the rear to gain a 5-7" lift .

This will throw you're caster off. You will need to correct that.

Add a TON of body lift , cut the hell out of the Datsun body, truss the axles, add chrome shafts, some 5.88 gears , then a Terra low kit to the T-case, massive traction control devices

And some rather exotic steering , ETC. ETC. ETC.

Big , Big job. Tire greed. A common problem.

It may hold together , but my  experience sez it won't.

If you want to run 38" tires you will need Dana 60 rear and 50 front .

Why the need for huge tires?

Trust me, a set of 35" tires will look huge on a Datsun 620.....

Look you need to do a bit of research . I'd recomend a dedicated off road sight.

Notice the tire Clarence at the LOWER fenders with 33" tires.

s_001.jpg

I took off the valance and lower fenders where they are welded on. Have a bumper in work, shocks are still being dialed in. Right now there are Rancho 9012's but I need a shorter shock with a different range of travel to get some more up travel. 

Project thread

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/35996-1978-620-king-cab-4x4/

Edit: and it's redeye :lol: 

Not building a Bogger.

It will be a trail rig.

I'm going to run Procomp 9000's . The length will depend on you're lift , shock mount set up , and flex .

The green beast is looking good man .

You need to start thinking ARMOR...

The 33's pictured will be on road  tires.

Will run 33 - 35"  TSL's off road. Haven't decided yet.

I don't intend to do any tin cutting.  But I may have to.

The green beast is looking good man .

You need to start thinking ARMOR...

Armor is currently in the thinking stages, although I have gotten a decent start on the front bumper.

IMG_5612_zps3d2394d1.jpg

The bed will get bobbed before I start on the rear bumper.

Mine is 110"

I'm also cutting 14" out of the bed. Will be ruining a swing away on the rear so the bob is really just to maintain it's current length over all.

That looks like a fairly substantial bumper. Auta be able to bruise a few trees with that.

Here is the start of my front end. It has to carry an 8274. Call it penis envy . I had to build it for the big boy.

It will be a Bull bar set up tied into the shock towers through the front turn signal ports.

p_010.jpg

Bobbed the tail  when I was building the frame.

p_014.jpg

Ended up with 2" of free lift by doubling the frame in the rear....And it will be the mounting point for my rear winch.

ok i am going to run the same pro comp es9000 shocks. and i might do a complete jeep drive train swap into the datsun frame, do you know about the best wheel base for a truck is, i'm thinking 100 to 115 inches would be ideal.

I would stick with close to the original wheelbase. Makes for less body mods.

That looks like a fairly substantial bumper. Auta be able to bruise a few trees with that.

Here is the start of my front end. It has to carry an 8274. Call it penis envy

That's the general idea. :lol:

I stuffed my winch as far back as possible. I cut the radiator mounts a pushed the bottom of the radiator as far back as I could and still have decent clearance.

IMG_5620_zpsca936704.jpg

IMG_5623_zps503cc0eb.jpg

I ended up having to run a pusher fan on the front of the rad after installing the power steering pump.