4wd 1973 620 pickup

i am totally new to all this but i am starting with a huge project, converting a '73 620 to 4wd and to top it all of i will be building an exo cage and dropping in a jeep motor for added power. i am open to ideas and advice. i will post picts as soon as i figure out ho to. 

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beat you to it.

Well almost.

This one won't be running the Jeep 6 . It will be sporting a full exo / 8274 Warn winch /Dana 44's /   Scout rear / wag front / Dana 20 divorced twin stick with Terra low kit/

Shackle reverce front on Yota rear springs ETC> ETC> ETC......

p_001.jpg?1

• Like 1

That jeep 6 cylinder is pretty long. It's fairly simple to keep the Datsun motor if it runs. Pick up a transmission and transfer case from 720. Earlier ones had a divorced transfer case that is also an option.

What year is the Jeep? If it has a Dana 20 case, you could find an adapter although they are getting hard to find.

The 720 has a centered front output. Hardly desirable for a SAS truck.

The D-20 can be converted to divorced by fabing a front cover and input shaft.

The advantages of the 20 are:

correct offsets for you're running gear.

iron case.

Pass through high range.

Low cost due to availability.

Can be converted to a TRUE twin stick....

p_001.jpg?1

• Like 1

All true, I love my Dana 20's :D

I have a divorced one in the shed and a blown up one with the solid mount adapter in my storage unit. My truck has the solid mount style.

The one in my Jeep is twin stick and has Dana 18 gears in it for the lower range. I will probably build the one in the shed the same way to put in my truck eventually. :cool:

I notice that you got rid of the slip yoke for the intermediate shaft or is that just a flanged slip yoke?

The 258 / 4.0 is a long transplant for you're 620.

You will have to cut the fire wall substantially for the fit

If you are dead set on a 6 cyl. I'd look into the Novak adapter for any one of the V-6 conversions available for the Jeep running gear.

You won't have any problem finding a new home for the Jeep 6. It's a fairly sought after motor.

Remember though . You are adding another 350 lbs ( conservatively ) to the front of you're rig with the 6 cyl.

A well thought out 4 cyl. will do the job just fine.......

No slip yoke..

Tera low gears.

All fed by an early flanged drop pan 4 speed and a mild L-20B.

044_zps11b7483d.jpg

• Like 1

that is a sweet truck, i was going to do an exo cage to! mine is stripped of everything but the cab and motor at this point. i haven't gotten around to even making sure the guy i am buying the jeep stuff even has a transfer case. the jeep motor needs a new rear main and valve cover seal so i might fix that and sell it along with the transmission. i also have the stock rear axle that i would sell for cheep if any one is interested.

the jeep is a 1989 wrangler and the axles are dana 35 rear and dana 30 front. the current engine is an l16 that has a bad cam and needs new rockers. 

I would look for a better axle donor if I was me :)

hay boxcar what motor did you put in your truck. also why should i look for different axles, i don't have a lot of money and the guy is selling me the jeep motor, trans, transfer case and both axles for $500 so i'm just going to use those unless there is a really good reason not to. 

Well the 89 YJ actually was the last year of the carbed Jeeps.

A good thing.

The bad is that it ran a Dana 35 rear axle. One of the weakest ever used.

Up front it ran a Dana 30 driver side drop vac 30. The second worst axle idea Jeep ever had...

A 231 T case mated to a T-17 ( If my memory serves me correctly ) 5 speed. Can you say LONG ?... And fairly week.

If I were you. I'd be on the hunt for an early 70's Jeep Wagoneer. Preferably a non quadratic.  You will then get Good solid running gear , T-case, and if you're lucky a T-400 tranny mated to that D-20. One of the shortest and most bullet proof set up's available. AND SAME BOLT PATTERN AS ALL JEEP 6 cyl. and 72 and up V-8's

I'm running the same engine and tranny set up that I use in my Samurai conversions.

L-20 B ,  A-87 head ported to match an early 70's SSS iron manifold, L-20B cam , Holly 5150 progressive 2 bbl,  260Z 2+2 clutch, Drop pan 4 speed , divorced D-20 , D-44 front and rear , Most from Wagoneer donors.

p_001.jpg?1

s_001.jpg

p_001.jpg?1

p_016.jpg

• Like 2