1200 autocross project Texas

I thoroughly agree. I'm 18, I know for a fact my generation will never be as great as your fathers.

This is relevant to Canadians as well

Thanks, You have the mindset that will guarantee Liberty for all. We need more young people like you. Welcome to the party.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The competition in So Cal is probably a lot tougher than here at DFW. Everyone here is too busy texting. Or maybe I should get a couple of cases of bubble gum

I was handed that saying back when I did auto X, glad you picked up on it..

• Like 1

Under the car

Under the car, back of left rear quarter panel that has the rust through. lots of surface rust, but nothing major other than the two rust through spots.

DSCN1400_zpsdcf6fbe4.jpg

Spare tire well surface rust.

DSCN1401_zps30fac7eb.jpg

Right rear seat floor panel.

DSCN1402_zpsddc5c6c0.jpg

Right front floor panel.

DSCN1403_zps573f02f4.jpg

Right front rocker panels

DSCN1406_zps37ac1fac.jpg

Right rear rocker panels

DSCN1407_zps0b7ab6f5.jpg

Top of right rocker panel. Wow! No rust!

DSCN1408_zpsc696aaaf.jpg

Bottom of right door. Minimal surface rust

DSCN1409_zps94448c8d.jpg

Right door hinge. No rust and the interior door panel looks good too.

DSCN1410_zpsf37ba0a4.jpg

I have just hit a huge roadblock. In Texas you can register a car 25 years or older as a Classic and they are do not have to be subjected to safety and emission inspections if you drive them only occasionally, to special events, parades, etc... In my case the drive to Texas Motor Speedway. To get the registration, you must have insurance. To get the insurance, you must give a value for the car. I have no Idea how much the car is worth. I contacted an antique and classic car appraiser. We talked on the phone for for about half an hour and I came away with more questions than when I started. The gentleman was very knowledgeable about the value of antiques and classics but he had never done an evaluation of a 1200 and hasn't heard of anyone in his business doing one either. That makes it very rare. The fact that it is original, un-restored condition makes it even more rare. He asked if I knew anything about the history of the car and when I told him that my Dad bought it new he said that was almost unheard of. Apparently one owner family cars are a really big deal to collectors. It might be worth next to nothing. It might be worth a lot. I hate being stuck and not knowing which way to go. Get the 1200 back to Denton ASAP and get the appraisal done. Rebuilt clutch and brake hydraulics to make it go and stop is the only thing I am going to do to the 1200 before the appraisal. I might be racing the 510 after all. This project has more twists and turns than a soap opera.

It would be a 5-speed from a truck, like a 720 with the z series motor. Then swap the bell out with a l-series. I would say use a dog leg 5-speed out of a 200sx, but parts for those are scarce and they break easy.

How about a 5 speed from a 240Z? don't they bolt up to a L16?

i wouldnt say they break easily, for the fact that the dogleg was designed for racing. so that one could shift from 2nd to 3rd -3rd to 2nd  in a straight motion instead of a diagonal..

but i do agree that parts and rebuild are scarce and pricey  

How about the 5 speed from a 240Z? Don't they bolt up to the L16?

They bolt up, but they're longer.

You should look up datsunfreak on here. He's in fort worth and very knowledgeable about 1200s.

I'm sure he could answer most of the questions you have, and a few you haven't run into yet.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3594-got-some-work-done-on-the-1200-today/?fromsearch=1

Great car and story to go with it. I'd have a hard time turning that into a racecar given it's history and condition, it is your car though so make it more so. :)

I agree on contacting datsunfreak.

Under the hood.

The Mighty A12! Isn't it wild that the battery is nearly the same size as the engine. 38 mpg with a 4 speed and 2 bbl carb in 1972. No electronic or computer controlled anything! Just Kick Ass Old School Engineering! The family drove to Colorado Springs CO from Amarillo TX for vacation when the car was about 2 years old and I was 13. Going up Raton Pass in New Mexico we were doing 70mph at almost 8000ft., in the left lane, while new American Cars, Chevrolets, Fords, Cadillacs and Lincolns were huffing and puffing and maybe doing 30 mph. Did I mention I got the lead foot DNA from my Dad? I will never forget the look on the faces of the drivers we went blowing past in this little beast. And you thought I was being facetious when I called it the Mighty A12!

DSCN1385_zps1f931c7a.jpg

Minor surface rust on the firewall.

DSCN1386_zps659c12fd.jpg

Right side engine bay.

DSCN1387_zps24b3376e.jpg

Left side engine bay.

DSCN1388_zps1b81daef.jpg

Finally, the interior.

Front seats need to be recovered and the carpet is shot.

DSCN1356_zpsaf9aceac.jpg

Right door panel looks good.

DSCN1357_zps62bbab5a.jpg

Left door panel looks good except for arm rest.

DSCN1358_zps89bc6335.jpg

Left front seat split & rocker panel has minimal surface rust.

DSCN1359_zps16423fd8.jpg

Rear seat and left rear interior panel after a quick wipe-down with a armor all wipe.

DSCN1377_zpsf1e7f3e2.jpg

Headliner has yellowed over the years, but it is intact. The top of the rear seat was covered with a towel all these years. When I removed the towel, it disintegrated. When I cleaned away the debris, I found a perfect condition rear seat top. I was amazed.

DSCN1378_zps5a472c51.jpg

Wider view of the rear seat. I spent a lot of time back here. Family vacation was driving from Amarillo TX to Port Isabel TX. 800 miles each way. I am a redhead and got a very bad sunburn on South Padre Island when I was about 15. I Traveled the 800 miles home to Amarillo laying on my stomach in this back seat because it was too painful to sit upright.

DSCN1379_zpsb87c7e4d.jpg

Opposite view of the rear seat and the right rear interior panel.

DSCN1380_zps4cc37d30.jpg

Close up, top of the rear seat. Dad made a high mounted brake light for the car even though it wasn't required.

DSCN1381_zps447d4805.jpg

Right side of the top of the rear seat.

DSCN1382_zps9f343866.jpg

OH NO!!! THE REAR SEAT HAS A BLEMISH!!! WHAT WILL I DO???!!!

DSCN1383_zpsada52c9a.jpg

I've been staying out of the racecar or not debate because I'm in the "it's your car" camp 99% of the time.

However, after seeing the interior, you're a fool if you chop up a car that clean with THAT story, for a racer.

The first rule of racing is, don't race what you cant afford to wreck.

If your lady really made you decide between her and that car, find a new lady. That car will help you.

That Shit is beautiful. I love your story behind it. As far as value goes, its priceless. My insurance asked the price it was new. You don't need classic car insurance to get classic plates. Atleast not in Newton county. Maybe the dfw area has stricter clerks.

Anyway, if that car clipped a wall on a bad stretch of track, it'd be ruined.

I say restore it As minimally as possible and drive the hell out of it.

I'd you want to race, then do it in the 510 with no story. Every time you get in that 1200, you're going to smile and think about your dad. Keep it alive so that you can do that ad many times as possible.

• Like 3

I've been staying out of the racecar or not debate because I'm in the "it's your car" camp 99% of the time.

However, after seeing the interior, you're a fool if you chop up a car that clean with THAT story, for a racer.

The first rule of racing is, don't race what you cant afford to wreck.

If your lady really made you decide between her and that car, find a new lady. That car will help you.

That Shit is beautiful. I love your story behind it. As far as value goes, its priceless. My insurance asked the price it was new. You don't need classic car insurance to get classic plates. Atleast not in Newton county. Maybe the dfw area has stricter clerks.

Anyway, if that car clipped a wall on a bad stretch of track, it'd be ruined.

I say restore it As minimally as possible and drive the hell out of it.

I'd you want to race, then do it in the 510 with no story. Every time you get in that 1200, you're going to smile and think about your dad. Keep it alive so that you can do that ad many times as possible.

The driving force of the 1200 being a race car is Dad said, " This car weighs next to nothing. It would kick ass as a race car with a strong engine." It is what he wanted to do with it but needed it as a family car. I don't need it as a family car. But I am conflicted on what to do with it now. As for the Lady, it was a combination of the car and fishing. "If you don't stop fishing and come home now, I'm going to leave you." "Oh wait, I have another bite!!!"

The headliner is completely intact.

DSCN1411_zpseb42ac60.jpg

Driver's side of the dash.

DSCN1414_zps5ab040f9.jpg

Right side of the dash.

DSCN1415_zps191dc78e.jpg

Heater/Vent console

DSCN1416_zpsb91eec56.jpg

Top of dash. No wipe down. That's 9 years of dust.

DSCN1417_zpsdc2e4347.jpg

The only thing wrong with the dash is some scratches on the glove box door. 9.925 out of 10

DSCN1418_zpse3e45ee8.jpg

Last safety inspection in '04. Last registered in '07. Dad passed on in '95 and Mom drove the car for another 5 years then I put it in long term storage, when I got her a '93 Honda Civic. Mom now has dementia and I had to take her car away. I now drive it the Civic and sold my '10 Hyundai Elantra Touring to a friend. WHY WOULD I MAKE CAR PAYMENTS WHEN I HAVE A DATSUN TO RACE???

DSCN1412_zps176b1577.jpg

Trying to do research to find out what the market value of my car is. The appraiser I talked to mentioned Hagerty Classic Collector Auto Insurance. Hagerty doesn't even list the 1200 to find the value for the car. This means either one of two things. 1200's aren't worth listing, or they are so rare, there is no reason to list them. I have spent many hours on the internet trying to answer this question. The lack of information I find on the value of 1200's leads me to believe that they are very rare. It will take me a couple of weeks to get the car appraised, but while I am waiting, any information about this subject would be greatly appreciated.  

Just for what it is worth....The motor vehicle division here will assign a value to your vehicle if you do not have any information on what was paid for said vehicle (if anything).  I am not sure what the law in TX is, but I just titled a vehicle and did not have a bill of sale stating the sale price so they estimated the value of it through KBB classic (oddly enough, the vehicle was purchased from Datsunfreak).

Don't know if any of that helps but I am up early and wanted to ramble a bit.

I too would suggest contacting Datsunfreak.

Edit: I re-read a little bit but don't remember if you have actually talked to an appraiser. Yes, 1200s are rare but I would not think that would put them in a high dollar category.  I think there are less than 10 in NM and I have 2 of them, know where 2 others are (non running), I also think it is a certain mindset that appreciates a 1200 :thumbup:

• Like 1

A buddy of mine had his fiat insured through Hagerty. They insured it for 'stated' value, can't remember how much but I can find out it you like.

He got to enjoy it for about 6 months before some uninsured drunk non citizen cut across traffic and obliterated the front end. :(

Hagerty paid out full stated value minus his buy back, so that he could keep the car to rebuild with another one later. As I said, I can find out more info if you like. 

It was a beautiful car when he finished it.

IMG_8452.jpg

• Like 1

A buddy of mine had his fiat insured through Hagerty. They insured it for 'stated' value, can't remember how much but I can find out it you like.

He got to enjoy it for about 6 months before some uninsured drunk non citizen cut across traffic and obliterated the front end. :(

Hagerty paid out full stated value minus his buy back, so that he could keep the car to rebuild with another one later. As I said, I can find out more info if you like. 

It was a beautiful car when he finished it.

IMG_8452.jpg

Wow, that is a really beautiful car. I am afraid that some texting college girl or soccer mom in a SUV will take out my car if driven on the street here in DFW land. I feel more comfortable taking my chances on the race track than driving on the street with 3.5 million drivers, with at least 80% of them suffering from Cranial Rectumitis. That info would be very helpful, thanks.

Ok, so I'm sober now and back in the "it's your car" club.

I wouldn't cut up that interior to save my life though.

Autox isn't that bad as far as risk of wrecking goes. That'd be the only racing safe for this car.

I'd still say find a shell to race and save this one for posterity. It's a beautiful car.

Did you ever hit up datsunfreak? He may even still have a shell you could get.

Regardless, he knows his Shit, and is local to you. Buy him some sushi and pick his brain.

• Like 1

Ok, so I'm sober now and back in the "it's your car" club.

I wouldn't cut up that interior to save my life though.

Autox isn't that bad as far as risk of wrecking goes. That'd be the only racing safe for this car.

I'd still say find a shell to race and save this one for posterity. It's a beautiful car.

Did you ever hit up datsunfreak? He may even still have a shell you could get.

Regardless, he knows his Shit, and is local to you. Buy him some sushi and pick his brain.

I PM'd him but no response yet. After a lot of thought, this 1200 needs to go the Resto route. Drivability improvements and some performance improvements and take it to car shows. Recover the front seats, replace the carpet, clean the headliner and the interior is done! Anyone know how to clean a 40 yr. old headliner without messing it up? It has yellowed and I want to clean or dye/color it back to it's original color without ruining it. I'll try to find a shell to race.

• Like 2