1200 autocross project Texas

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to see what would happen, I dumped the remaining MEK in the Sedan's rusty fuel tank to see what it would do. I let it percolate for a couple of days and this is what came out.

IMAG1122_zpsbfb164e3.jpg

It's not the same color as the rust in the tank, so I think this must be melted varnish and other nasty goo. I decided just as an experiment, I am going to try the multi-step cleaning process to see if it works on a tank this bad. The rear clip tank is going to the vat hopefully sometime this week. 

• Like 1

I finally got the Sedan up in the air high enough to slide my ass under the car and remove the hard fuel line.

IMAG1136_zpsp6lq9ahd-1.jpg

The hard brake line to flexible brake line doesn't want to give up without a fight.

IMAG1140_zpsqgryyand-1.jpg

It appears that the hard lines were installed on the production line before the drive-train was installed.

IMAG1138_zpswwbqt5xh-1.jpg

IMAG1139_zpsepirvehk-1.jpg

The hard brake/fuel lines are rather hard to remove unless the drive train is out.  That rear hard line to rubber line for the brakes put up quite a fight on mine too.

• Like 1

Brother, can you spare a dime? Somehow I suspected that this might happen. I originally wanted to make a race car out of the 1200 2 Dr. Sedan with an L-16. I found a 510 in a wrecking yard and bought it for the engine. I was convinced by the Ratsun community to restore the sedan and find another car to race. Datsunfreak wanted the 510 and I sold it to him, and acquired Dimlight65's white 1200 coupe rolling chassis for a race car with a CA18DET for Auto X. I then stumbled across the 24 Hours of LeMons racing series. Google it and laugh your ass off. Endurance racing for $500 cars. They hold an annual race at Eagle Canyon Raceway in Decatur TX about 30 minutes away. The 510 would be perfect for this. I contacted Datsunfreak about the Dime. It was just too far gone for a restoration and sold it to Justin. He has too many projects going on and agreed to sell it back to me. I took delivery and brought it back home to Sanger today. I now am the proud owner of 3 Datsuns that DON'T RUN and won't anytime soon. As Jeff Foxworthy's formula concludes, I just might be a Redneck! At least I can admit, I am as sick as most Ratsun members.

IMAG1142_zpsk4jt20fw-1.jpg[/url]

IMAG1143_zpsmu4elabn-1.jpg

• Like 4

Hey, I own 3 also......only 2 of mine don't run.  Does that make me only 2/3 redneck?

Nope, I am all the way there.....got me a pick up what don't run. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Got the rear connections of the hard lines removed and they are almost loose from the car.

IMAG1149_zpsatmksiio_1.jpg

The hard lines are loose on the firewall.

IMAG1151_zpscf1wxrft_1.jpg

The hard lines are not coming out without a lot of work.

IMAG1150_zps8umtzkej_1.jpg

The hard lines are trapped by the transmission cross member and some wiring to the transmission.

IMAG1148_zpskxtymkmc_1.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, after visiting your shop, what you said makes sense. I'll drop the trans cross-member and unplug the trans wiring and drop the gas and brake lines out whole. I just know that those bolts are going to put up a fight, but they are going to have to come out soon anyway. I already cut the line going to the smog tank in the rear of the car because it will not be needed with the A-14 with dual carbs. I just wanted to experiment with the aerospace unions. It needs to get it back on the road asap so we can have a multi-Datsun convoy through Ft. Worth for lunch.

IMAG1173_zpsr6eawogu.jpg

The cut line is a lot more manageable. It is filled with MEK to soak for a couple of days.

IMAG1175_zpsmcyzxzmq.jpg

No flare bite type hydraulic line union.

images_zpssaxgkyml.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is awesome!

Its really good to know there are some non z Datsuns here in the metroplex...

I would LOVE to see the 510 at the 24hrs of lemmons!

Welcome to the party! Datsunfreak and Dimlight65 also have 1200s in the metroplex. There is also a 1200 UTE with a SR20DET that puts out 400+ HP here.

Ready to remove the trans cross-member.

IMAG1190_zps7xgt6s5z.jpg

Cross-member out.

IMAG1191_zpsqynzbyul.jpg

There are 2 electrical connections on a 1200 4 speed transmission. This is the forward one and both connections are broke off. I cannot find what the wires go to or what it's function is. My factory service manual does not address this wiring. Any help is appreciated.

IMAG1193%201_zps8mchflwe.jpg

IMAG1196%201_zpsmkcdtcdh.jpg

This is the rear wiring on the transmission, the grease wiped off with a rag soaked in MEK. It stayed intact and I marked the bottom wire with tie wraps to know which wires go back together during re-assembly. 

IMAG1197_zps3wgulxkq.jpg

The hard fuel line and brake line are finally out. It was a really hard fight. The lines were jammed between the transmission chassis mount and the rearmost transmission electrical connection. I finally figured out if you drop the transmission, which is now supported by the floor jack, by about 4" the lines will drop out in one piece.

IMAG1198_zpsorj5tlpj.jpg

The fuel line has been filled with MEK to soak for a couple of days to melt off any varnish or goo left in the line.

As far as the switches go, the catalog only shows 1 (reverse lamp switch) and the part # starts "32005". Neutral switches start with part # "32006"  but I have no neutral safety switch on my pedal to prevent starting without the clutch pedal depressed.   But I am pretty sure my 4 speed has 2 switches also....the trans that is on my back porch has 2 switches but it is too dark and too cold to go out and look at the actual car.  I know none of this probably helps but I am up and have had too much coffee so........

• Like 1

It was a beautiful, calm 70 degree North Texas Sunday so I decided to take advantage, open the roll up doors on each end of the shop and play with the A-14. Because the storage unit has no electricity, opening both doors floods it with light, and I don't have to burn up batteries to see. I easily removed the transmission support.

IMAG1199_zpsnh0q5j3s.jpg

The bolts easily came out of the oil pan. This is great, fast progress. However, the oil pan has other ideas. It won't budge. I soaked everything with penetrating oil but it really likes where it has been for the past 40 years. Never tried to pull an oil pan off an engine this old. I got a propane torch but haven't tried that yet. Just don't want to screw anything up.

IMAG1200_zps2vdxiow9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I sealed up the hard fuel line by clamping a short piece of fuel hose to each end and shoving a bolt into the open end of the hose. On the first application I sealed up one end and filled up the line with MEK then sealed up the other end. I let it percolate for 3 days. This is what came out of the line. I didn't think that this amount of fluid was sufficient to come out of a nearly 8' line. Some either leaked out or there were air pockets that didn't get contact. 

IMAG1182_zpspy58f1dk.jpg

I left the plug out of the both ends of the line while I filled it for the 2nd time so there wouldn't be any air pockets. I had one end slightly higher than the other and didn't plug the lower end until MEK came out of the low side hose. I plugged the lower hose and finished filling it before sealing it up. I let it sit for another 3 days and this is what came out. Looks better but needs one more round.

IMAG1221_zpsulofces5.jpg

3rd times a charm. Used the same procedures for filling the line and let it sit for 3 more days looks a lot better.

IMAG1236_zpsoibt7nfy.jpg

I took the hard line to Mat's shop to blow it out under pressure. This is what came out. I think the line is clean enough to use now.

IMAG1249_zpsgnufzraw.jpg

Decided to finish pulling the A-14 apart. The pistons and connecting rods look really good.

IMAG1231_zpsl2ly9tpz.jpg

IMAG1230_zpsizl8ok79.jpg

Got the crank bolt out and the crank pulley off. It required a lot of penetrating oil and an application of MAP GAS heat.

]IMAG1238_zpstxb0jm87.jpg

Got the timing chain cover off. Took more penetrating oil, a putty knife, and more MAP GAS heat to make it let go.

IMAG1240_zpsg7fyxipj.jpg

Flipped the engine upside down on the stand and removed the crankshaft washer.

IMAG1241_zpseowt7shb.jpg

Removed the camshaft sprocket and timing chain. At this point I am taking pictures to remember how it all goes back together.

IMAG1244_zpsemllfizp.jpg

• Like 1