1200 autocross project Texas

I'd be interested in the rear seat if it's a coupe.  Of course I'd like to see pics, but just about any rear seat would be better than the one I have now.  I have been thinking of doing some autocross with mine when I get further along.

Kelly2

Sorry, it is a 2 door sedan. Has a badge on it that says Deluxe.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Japanese Flag from WWII. My Dad was in the 1st Calvary Division during WWII. He was Command Sargent Major, Communication Chief for Headquarters Troop and had a half track command car full of communications equipment. When they weren't in battle against the Japanese, my Dad's unit would have fun by drag racing their half tracks against Jeeps and Sherman Tanks. " I am my father's son, race what you got."  Which type of vehicle won depended on how rough or muddy the drag strip was. My Dad was involved in the South Pacific island hopping, starting in Strathpine, Queensland Australia. He loved Australia, and being a Texan, the Australians loved him. The Australians thought everyone in Texas had an oil well, rode a horse and carried a gun. OK, not every Texan has an oil well and a horse. Dad only lacked the oil well. He went through New Guinea, to the Admiralty Islands Campaign, and the invasion of Leyte. Then they moved on to Luzon to launch the flying column assault on Manilla, Philippines. They were ordered to liberate the U.S. prisoners at Santa Tomas University in Manilla at the utmost speed. The entire 1st Calvary Division was barreling down the the highway to Manilla at full speed and would overtake Japanese Army trucks and personnel. The Japanese troops would pull over to the side of the road, watch the entire 1st Calvary Division go blowing past them at full speed, turn around and haul ass in the opposite direction when the 1st Team had disappeared down the highway. They assaulted the Santa Tomas interment camp liberating some 3,700 internees. This flag was taken from the Santa Tomas prison camp. My Dad was in the first wave of the occupation of Tokyo. He came back to the U S to raise his family and bought my 1972 Datsun 1200 brand new for $1971.00. My Dad took a lot of crap from his peers for buying a Japanese car in 1972. Less than 30 years after the war, a lot of people had a big problem with buying Japanese. I was 11 years old and remember this confrontation like it was yesterday. Dad bought the Datsun and his friend, also a WWII vet, was furious. My Dad's friend said, "HOW COULD YOU BUY THIS CAR???!! YOU SPENT THE ENTIRE WAR TRYING TO KILL THESE PEOPLE WHILE THEY WERE TRYING TO KILL YOU!!!!!"  My Dad's reply was,"You've got to stop living in the past. This car is the future. Get used to it." My Dad was a very wise man. So you now know how much this little car means to me, This flag will accompany me on every race in some way. I might even wrap it around my head!

DSCN1333_zps482d83e6.jpg

• Like 6

THAT is a cool story.

Edit: I was thinking about this story today whilst playing with Dattos in the garage and watching the little 4th of July parade that runs by my house every year.  It is because of your father and people like him that we are able to do things like work on Dattos in our garage, watch a parade go by, drink a little beer, play some loud music...get my drift.  So I lifted a beer in his honor and to all the others who have served this country.....cheers ya'll!

• Like 2

Thanks, Dad would have really appreciated this. I also appreciate this. It takes a lot of character to fight a mortal enemy that is trying to kill you, defeat them, forgive them, and then appreciate their contribution to the world after the fight is over. The greatest generation label is a fitting tribute to the WWII era Americans. I only hope that the following generations can live up to their sacrifices. I will try to do my part.

The greatest generation label is a fitting tribute to the WWII era Americans. I only hope that the following generations can live up to their sacrifices.

I thoroughly agree. I'm 18, I know for a fact my generation will never be as great as your fathers.

This is relevant to Canadians as well

• Like 1

OK, enough of the history lessons, y'all wanted pictures of the 1200 so here they are. An original condition, "except for the 13" wheels", un-restored 1972 Datsun 1200. It has been in storage for the last 7 years.Front view. Small dent on lower left side of front valance

DSCN1363_zpscfa08ab1.jpg

Rear view shows surface rust on the left side of the car.

DSCN1361_zps81a0a6de.jpg

Left side of the car showing minor rust out Just above and behind the rear wheel.

DSCN1360_zps2c453b31.jpg

Right Side view. Clean, straight and except for a small place on the top of the front fender, rust free.

DSCN1362_zps62362329.jpg

Small rust out on top of front right fender.

DSCN1371_zps258746d6.jpg[/url]

Perfectly straight with no dents. The hood has only minor surface rust around the chrome trim. With a L16 going in the engine bay, the stock hood is too heavy. It must go and be replaced with a light weight fiberglass hood. Any body parts sold from this project will have the rust professionally neutralized, repaired with fiberglass cloth and resin by craftsmen who work at an aircraft repair station, repairing and restoring modern and antique aircraft on a daily basis. The body parts will be primed in a professional aircraft paint shop. The part will be ready to shoot color on it with only minor prep required due to shipping. This is not to try to make a fortune off of the parts. It's what we do every day, we have fun doing it, and we like the smell of resin and paint.  I want you to have an exceptional product for your rare Datsun.

DSCN1364_zpsf785d916.jpg

Trunk lid, or Bonnet, depending on your location. Straight with no dents. Surface rust on the bottom where the seal contacts the trunk lid.

DSCN1366_zps6b6c22c6.jpg[/url]

Welcome to Ratsun.

Cool story about you Dad and his car. I only have one question, Why on earth would you want to cut up a super original clean 1200.

I mean the 510 would be a WAY better auto X car than the 1200.

This is exactly why I am here. To get input from people who know more than me. As far as I can tell, an original 1200 has not much monetary value, but if I can race the car I took my drivers license test at 16 and at least be competitive, that would mean a lot to me.  The 1200 is not a museum piece. It has some substantial rust where the trunk lid seal used to be .

DSCN1389_zpsa33e7258.jpg

Even so with the rust, your car is straight and nice. I like it. They sell for a lot in California and in Florida. As far as the stock panels, it may be a good idea to hold on to those, set aside and run fiberglass products if you choose, the l16 will fit under the hood. It will clear. An l16 with a short 5-speed will put the shifter in the stock shifter location. It will rip.

• Like 1

This is exactly why I am here. To get input from people who know more than me. As far as I can tell, an original 1200 has not much monetary value, but if I can race the car I took my drivers license test at 16 and at least be competitive, that would mean a lot to me.  The 1200 is not a museum piece. It has some substantial rust where the trunk lid seal used to be .

DSCN1389_zpsa33e7258.jpg

The 510 I stumbled across a couple of weeks ago. The 1200 has been in the family since Dad bought it new in 1972. The 510 is a 4 dr. sedan which I have a hard time seeing it as a race car. I would like to use my driving skills to make up for any shortcoming in the car. I can guarantee that there won't be that much difference between my driving skill and the skill of the building team.

Even so with the rust, your car is straight and nice. I like it. They sell for a lot in California and in Florida. As far as the stock panels, it may be a good idea to hold on to those, set aside and run fiberglass products if you choose, the l16 will fit under the hood. It will clear. An l16 with a short 5-speed will put the shifter in the stock shifter location. It will rip.

Specifically, which short 5 speed? Any help is appreciated. I want to kick the clutch at 9K.

4dr. 510's do good on the autocross. I remember when there were the Shasta meets and one year a '68 yellow 4dr. Putting up fast times in autox. Either way both cars can be competitive. Either way both are cool.

I will remember this and do research before I do anything. Thanks for your input. Just a personal bias. 4 doors not sporty. If 4 doors rock then I am all for it. I want the Under Dog to win. I don't mind having 2 race cars.

You must be one hell of a driver if your plan is to go out and kick ass on the auto X track. I've run for many years here in So Cal. Your going to have to run in FP or some other high modified class. And to kick ass in that arena your going to have a ton of work to do. Good luck..

• Like 1

You must be one hell of a driver if your plan is to go out and kick ass on the auto X track. I've run for many years here in So Cal. Your going to have to run in FP or some other high modified class. And to kick ass in that arena your going to have a ton of work to do. Good luck..

The competition in So Cal is probably a lot tougher than here at DFW. Everyone here is too busy texting. Or maybe I should get a couple of cases of bubble gum

The ugly stuff, still not all that bad.

Left rear fender upper spot.

DSCN1372_zps3e43741c.jpg

Left rear spot lower

DSCN1373_zps9224161f.jpg

Worst on the whole car. Where the trunk weather striping used to be.

DSCN1391_zps6e398e04.jpg

More of the trunk.

DSCN1392_zps55c7cfeb.jpg

Upper part of the trunk.

DSCN1393_zpsc5a97eca.jpg

Left side of trunk channel.

DSCN1394_zpsae4d7736.jpg

Bottom of trunk lid.

DSCN1395_zps1a343db4.jpg

Right side bottom of trunk.

DSCN1396_zps966de650.jpg

Left side bottom of trunk.

DSCN1397_zps8e4e414c.jpg

Surface rust around the left taillight.

DSCN1399_zps7ea068b3.jpg

Surface rust left side below bumper.

DSCN1398_zpsa1545cf4.jpg

Chip in the middle of the windshield.

DSCN1413_zps1f4489b7.jpg

It would be a 5-speed from a truck, like a 720 with the z series motor. Then swap the bell out with a l-series. I would say use a dog leg 5-speed out of a 200sx, but parts for those are scarce and they break easy.

i wouldnt say they break easily, for the fact that the dogleg was designed for racing. so that one could shift from 2nd to 3rd -3rd to 2nd  in a straight motion instead of a diagonal..

but i do agree that parts and rebuild are scarce and pricey  

• Like 1

I say race the ratty 510, and keep the 1200 as a daily driver, but that's just me. To me, that 1200 just looks too nice to tear down and strip. I've been daily driving 2 ratty Datsuns for a couple years now, and the only thing they have going for them is that they run, and can be driven. Not to mention, without doing any modifications, the 510 4-door you have will be a better autoX car, both in handling and power.

Now the good stuff! Perfectly straight roof with minor surface rust around the trim.

DSCN1375_zps8e254bcd.jpg

The left side is straight.

DSCN1365_zpsd50f4922.jpg

The dent on the left side, Worst on the whole car. The dent on the front valance will be covered by the air dam.

DSCN1384_zps0e3af308.jpg

Right side dent. Just ahead of the fuel door and in line with the reflection color break.

DSCN1369_zps41584156.jpg

Better view of how straight the right side is.

DSCN1370_zpsd81ce641.jpg

The 1st Calvary Division license plate frame will stay.

DSCN1368_zps2bc906d0.jpg

It's a DEEELUXE!!!

DSCN1376_zps45e05e00.jpg

Jasper, on 07 Jul 2013 - 3:58 PM, said:

I say race the ratty 510, and keep the 1200 as a daily driver, but that's just me. To me, that 1200 just looks too nice to tear down and strip. I've been daily driving 2 ratty Datsuns for a couple years now, and the only thing they have going for them is that they run, and can be driven. Not to mention, without doing any modifications, the 510 4-door you have will be a better autoX car, both in handling and power.

Jasper, on 07 Jul 2013 - 3:58 PM, said:

Alright, someone else in the metroplex! Daily driver 1200? Not in DFW!!! I don't want to die when a texting college girl driving a Tahoe slams in to the back of my car doing 50 mph and sandwich me with another car when we were stopped at a traffic light. Already happened to me once. Thankfully I was in a large modern car. Besides, being stuck in Dallas traffic in August with no A/C is something I am too old to do. The key to the 1200 is weight. It weighs 1600 lbs. stock. A new Corvette has a power to weight ratio of 7.3 lbs. per hp. If I can get 180hp out of the L16 and get the weight down to 1300 lbs, the power to weight ratio is 7.2 lbs. per hp. A package that handles like a go cart and has the thrust of a new Corvette is the direction I want to go. 1300 lbs is a lot easier to slow down and accelerate than 3300 lbs. Same power to weight ratio dragging around a ton less weight. Even if it is a little funky handling, 2000 lbs less weight at the same power to weight ratio is a huge advantage. I'll let you know how it works out.