1200 autocross project Texas

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rear package tray finally surrendered. 76 spot welds. What a pain in the ass. At least when I get finished I will have a very good knowledge of how these things are put together.

IMAG0738_zps00385332.jpg

A couple more pieces of supporting structure an I will have a clear view of the back of the seam.

IMAG0739_zps5b63f6e9.jpg

• Like 2

A new yellow Camero provides the background for the powder coated badge. Been wanting to see what the badges look like with a yellow background. A little brighter yellow than what I want. This one was on the hood and in the shade. Looks really good.

IMAG0740_zps12bc6ed6.jpg

This one was on the trunk and got a lot more sunlight, but not direct sunlight. It looks kick ass. It looks as close to black chrome as I think I am going to get. This car is going to rock.

IMAG0741_zps44628637.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a couple more cheap batteries for my cheap Harbor Freight cordless drill. Now I can get some work done. Drilled out the left support bracket for the rear package tray.

20 spot welds cut out.

IMAG0748_zpsfc02cf39.jpg

IMAG0749_zps90b6f2a0.jpg

IMAG0750_zps61d25295.jpg

2nd support bracket located at the lower left rear corner of the rear windshield. 2 more spot welds.

IMAG0751_zps0702f9e2.jpg

IMAG0754_zpsa8245a16.jpg

Rear seat back cross braces. Another 14 spot welds.

IMAG0764_zps1897cc06.jpg

Rear seat back cross braces out. 24 spot welds.

IMAG0765_zps05cb7745.jpg

Cut out 5 spot welds and got the left trunk hinge support to let go,

IMAG0752_zpsddd840b7.jpg

15 spot welds later, the left C pillar support bracket comes out.

IMAG0755_zps35aa7420.jpg

It appears that the top row of spot welds on the right package tray support missed some welds and is pulled away from the side panel about 1/16".

It is the only place I have found on the whole rear clip that wasn't attached properly.

IMAG0756_zpsa085f119.jpg

Right trunk hinge bracket, 5 spot welds.

IMAG0753_zps6963cad3.jpg

Finally pulled out the wiring harness and fuel tank for more working room. The fuel tank appears to be in really good shape with minor surface rust. Going to pull the fuel gauge sending unit plate and see what it looks like inside.

IMAG0768_zps360765e1.jpg

I got lost somewhere along the way and have no idea what you are doing, but I like it :thumbup:

Looks like a how to for disassembling a 1200 :P

His car is a bit rusty in the trunk area. I found him a rear clip that wasn't rusty, so he's removing all the pieces from that clip to patch his car.   :thumbup:

• Like 1

Oh very nice. Maybe you can find and send me peices to patch the B210 :ninja:

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to body work, but I'm loving the attention to detail here. Will you end up using most of the supports that you have been or just the actual shell of the rear clip?

• Like 1

I don't know that much about bodywork either, so I decided to disassemble the rear clip and learn on it so I wouldn't screw up my car when I repair it. There is a body and restoration shop about 100 yards away from my shop, and the owner showed me how to disassemble the clip. It's all spot welds and a little bit of brazing at some of the body exterior seam lines and a lot of caulking of the seam lines inside. I am really documenting it here in case I forget how it goes back together. I have labeled all the parts with a magic marker and I plan on keeping all the parts "just in case". The clip will also take up much less space disassembled.

If it comes out looking like a giraffe, you better share pics :poke:

But seriously though, the documentation so far looks great. Even without knowing exactly why you were taking it apart I could tell what was going on, just thought you might have went all izzo and turned a 1200 into yard art.

But that would mean finding a non-rusty B210. I'm good, but not that good.   :rofl:

Tell me about it. I have rot on all 4 doors and can't find replacements for the life of me. Let alone the passenger dog leg.

• Like 1

I finally got things taken apart enough to get a good look at the back side of the rear window valance.

IMAG0774_zpscaedc123.jpg

I removed all the paint off the seams where the valance attaches to the rear quarter panels and there is absolutely no sign of a spot weld on the top of the seam. This is what had me puzzled.

IMAG0771_zps9fc33a10.jpg

Sure enough, there are 3 spot welds on the bottom of the seam. I am going to have to try only cut through the bottom layer of metal so I don't have 3 big-ass holes in the top of the valance. Think I will talk to the body guy before I try it.

IMAG0770_zpsfbc2a677.jpg

A hah, after a brief search on you tube I discovered you don't go all the way through and you need a panel separator. Off to the hardware store for a small chisel. Thanks for allowing me to fix my own ignorance. This makes me feel much better. I still have a lot of welds to practice on before I get to the money panels.

• Like 1

There are at least a few different types as well.  But you should be able to get one like a mini hole saw that won't cut all the way through both panels, eg the kind with a spring loaded centering point where you just center punch a small divot for it to register on.  :thumbup:

First try with the correct method of cutting out spot welds. This is the row of welds on the C pillar at the rear windscreen. Used a center punch to dent the center of the weld then used a 7/64" drill bit to make a shallow recess for the spot weld cutter's center rod.

IMAG0775_zpseccd6a2a.jpg

Cut through one panel and only blew through one weld. I'm calling this a success.

IMAG0776_zpsdd39d074.jpg

• Like 1

Right rear upper seat back support.

IMAG0772_zpsb0c38d4a.jpg

All the welds cut out of the bracket but still held in place by the caulking. A little removal and cutting of the caulking and it broke free.

IMAG0778_zps0eeda3d1.jpg

Rt rear seat support bracket removed.

IMAG0779_zps7361a3d2.jpg

Rt. rear seat support bracket attachment point.

IMAG0780_zps9f382c6d.jpg

This is a very revealing photo. It shows a bracket that ties the C pillar, the right rear quarter panel, and the rear windscreen valance all together. The Nissan engineers placed a large open oval in the middle of the bracket that exposed 3 spot welds that connected the rear window valance to the rear quarter panel. This enabled a technician to replace the rear windscreen valance without blowing the entire back half of the car apart.

IMAG0777_zpsfb854d83.jpg

Rt. C pillar bracket removed. 14 spot welds.

IMAG0781_zps20ca2cd0.jpg

• Like 1

Here are the welds I was most worried about. I had no idea what I was doing when I started and thisismatt made me figure out what I was doing wrong. Thanks Matt. I took things slow and easy this time. Took about 3 to 4 minutes per weld and only cut through 1 panel and did so little damage to the outer panel that you can't tell anything from the outside. This is not easy because 1200 sheet metal is VERY thin.

IMAG0783_zps9e0c7d52.jpg

• Like 1