Ka24DE head on a Ka24E Block?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone successfully put a Ka24DE (DOHC) head onto a single cam block (ka24E). I've googled it, and supposedly it bumps up compression and such, but everyone only has their "theories" and not real world experience. I know you can swap pistons, but I'm just curious about swapping the heads. Thanks guys.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it would definitely not be a bolt on affair. apart from raising compression, the water jackets would need to be welded and moved, timing cover needs to be a DE and trimmed, timing needs to be spot on or valves will hit, I think you need to use the DE crank (not positive), and the DE uses a dual row chain as opposed to the E single row chain. on top of manifolds, wire harness and ECM I think it would be a better option to just go dual cam.

it would definitely not be a bolt on affair. apart from raising compression, the water jackets would need to be welded and moved, timing cover needs to be a DE and trimmed, timing needs to be spot on or valves will hit, I think you need to use the DE crank (not positive), and the DE uses a dual row chain as opposed to the E single row chain. on top of manifolds, wire harness and ECM I think it would be a better option to just go dual cam.

There is a dual row chain on the top for the cams but the primary chain is still single.

This is a huge investment in time effort for what???

I was curious since I have a ka24E block and DE head. I checked it out today and all the water jackets and bolt hole line up perfectly. I used the dohc timing chains with the E lower tensioner and tensioner arm, DE upper tensioner and DE lower chain guide. The lower cover is from the E and the upper cover from the DE. The only thing I had to fabricate was a small filler piece between the upper and lower cover, as there was a small gap. 

Upon visual inspection, the blocks are essentially identical on the outside. Bolt holes are in the same places. So this was basically a bolt on affair. 

There is a dual row chain on the top for the cams but the primary chain is still single.

For something to do... something different. I already had the parts and wanted to see if it could be done.

Also, thanks for your calculations. When I posted this, I was hoping you'd be someone to reply. You seem to be the resident "guru" around here. I've learned a lot from reading your posts in the past.

yeah finding a dual cam wouldn't be hard and they're relatively inexpensive, 240sx guys have them in abundance on zilvia.net for sale

No offence, but I wasn't posting this to ask what engine I should run. I was merely asking if anyone has seen this done. I don't need opinions on engines. I have a 620 which had a KA24E, and now has a KA24DE, so I've run both. I have an abundance of both parts, and just wanted to see if it can be done. Again, I don't mean any offense in this post, hope you don't take it that way.

Didn't mean you shouldn't. This is how things are discovered. I would imagine this should go at least as good as a DE. The DE block does have oil squirters to cool the pistons... something that would be very handy on an 11:1 compression motor.

found this on the internet by people who have done it

The parts you need to build a hybrid is a truck ka24de head, truck ka24de upper cover, truck ka24de upper chain, truck ka24de upper tensioner truck ka24de cam gears, and center gear, You also need a lower chain fabricated to fit the crank gear to the center gear.For the ecu you would need the truck de distributor. Slight modifying of the sohc timing chain cover and your done. Secondly you would have to us the DE crank shaft for the de lower timing chain cover because there is a gear on the snout of the de crank that spins the oil pump that is built into the de lower cover.