Cleaning up column

XXL

That "loose" wiring harness that runs down the steering column has been bothering my overly-active-brain for a while, and so I finally decided to do something about it.

See here, the wiring harness for the steering wheel controls (horn, signals), run through a black jacket down the left side of the column, which gets captured loosely by a clip on the steering column mount just below the dash.  

columnmod_01.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to reroute the harness to the INSIDE of the column mount, so I could then sheath the harness up against the column so it wouldn't be hanging "loose" like it does now.  So, I got a piece of scrap 1/2" steel tube and cut it in half to create a hard "shell" to protect the wires once they were inside the steering mount.  If you don't protect them like this, I'm afraid the slight movement of the column would abrade through the wires over time.  That shouldn't happen now.

columnmod_02.jpg

columnmod_03.jpg

Then, I removed the column saddle mount from under the dash and fished the wiring harness through it, then slipped the half-tube piece over the wires, trimmed the rubber grommet that wraps around the column, then put it all back together.

columnmod_04.jpg

columnmod_05.jpg

And finally... as soon as I can find it in my box-o-crap, I will sheath over the wiring harness with some of that black plastic wire cover material that you often see running down the wall under flat screen TV installations...

Sort of like this stuff...

cable-cover1.jpg

• 5 months later...