Project: SR-71 (make an S30 drift like an S13)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this isn't one of those "I'm going to drift a 240Z" threads and then never follow through with it.  I've been at this for two years now, and I just do a little here and there when I have time...and at some point it will be complete.  I mean come on, I'm fairly certain I have done way more to a 240Z to make it drift than anyone else has.  Hell, all the difficult challenges are out of the way.

From my facebook build page:

The goal of this build is to drift a Datsun 240Z. I've had a Nissan S13 Silvia in Japan, as well as a Nissan S13 240SX here in the states. Being that I'm accustomed to that S13 chassis, feel, and suspension setup, I felt it only proper to incorporate as much of that as possible into the Datsun 240Z. After two years, I feel that I have done just that. While the build still has a long way to gobefore it's road worthy, the work I have put into it thus far was by far the most difficult. Prior to this build, I had no welding nor fabrication experience...I just taught myself as I went along. As far as what has been done to the 240Z, here is the list (hopefully I don't forget anything):

- S13 rear subframe with complete IRS setup.
- Custom rear strut towers to accommodate the S13 coilovers
- Custom rear strut tower along with supplemental bracing to the subframe
- Cut out front strut towers and moved them forward 7.5", this also effectively extended the wheelbase
- Custom front strut towers
- Custom front strut brace
- sr20det red top
- Custom solid motor mounts
- Custom transmission mount
- S13 front crossmember so I can use all of the S13 suspension and steering components
- Extended fenders and hood
- Made hood open normal as opposed to the Datsun way
- Gutted doors
- Custom aircraft door latches/openers 

I'm sure I forgot some things, so I will add them to the list later.

Nice cant wait to see another s30 drifting. Currently getting my LCA's extended, knuckles shortened and finally my T3 plates upfront. Seems you're not going to run into as much problems as I have using all the stock stuff upfront, can't wait to see the end result. Once you drive it you'll be able to dial that shit it like nobody's business.

• Like 1

Here is the deal with this build...

Virtually the entire build so far has been done with scrap metal, hardware that friends have given me, parts from my s13 that I almost died in, a cheap harbor freight flux core welder (until recently that is), and anything else that I could use, get, or otherwise obtain for cheap, trade, or barter. I have bought very few things to make this work; it's really just an extreme budget, 1 car garage, junk yard parts, limited tools, mad max, rat rod build. Hell, prior to this I had zero fabrication nor welding experience. I'm glad people like this build, and I'm glad people hate it--there will always be haters. The car may look, on the surface, rough in its current state; however, in the end, I guarantee that it will be awesome and extremely unique. This is far from a show car, but rather a track car (with a story) that will get beat on. No one will ever like 100% of anything on any car; it's just the nature of being human.

• Like 2

The hood pins I got for free quite a while a go, I ummm obtained the pins with push button from my old job, the aluminum circles were cut out of a piece of scrap aluminum I had. I traced around an old coupler I had to make the circle, then used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel to cut the 2 circles of aluminum out.

Building a bash bar...more to come once I get more time to construct the rest of it. You can see all of the material I have to use in order to attempt to make something work. Again, I obtained all this scrap metal for free :-)

DSC_0438-X3.jpg

DSC_0439-X3.jpg

DSC_0440-X3.jpg

DSC_0441-X3.jpg

DSC_0442-X3.jpg

DSC_0443-X3.jpg

DSC_0444-X3.jpg

DSC_0446-X3.jpg

DSC_0447-X3.jpg

DSC_0448-X3.jpg

DSC_0449-X3.jpg

DSC_0450-X3.jpg

DSC_0451-X3.jpg

DSC_0452-X3.jpg

DSC_0453-X3.jpg

DSC_0454-X3.jpg

DSC_0455-X3.jpg

DSC_0456-X3.jpg

DSC_0457-X3.jpg

DSC_0458-X3.jpg

I added gussets and supports to the bash bar and now it's a beast!  I also had a friend come over, so I adjusted the lighting and camera settings to what they should be so he could take photos of me showing off how strong the bash bar is.

DSC_0480-X3.jpg

DSC_0481-X3.jpg

DSC_0482-X3.jpg

DSC_0483-X3.jpg

DSC_0484-X3.jpg

DSC_0485-X3.jpg

DSC_0486-X3.jpg

DSC_0487-X3.jpg

DSC_0488-X3.jpg

DSC_0489-X3.jpg

DSC_0490-X3.jpg

DSC_0491-X3.jpg