Project: SR-71 (make an S30 drift like an S13)

Over the weekend:
Both fenders were cut a while back to make room. Now I have rolled both fenders and put a nice lip on them. This is to prevent the tire getting cut (the car will have fender flares). I had to tack the inner and out fender skins together, and then used a hammer to hammer roll a lip around the entire fender. 

Also, I got both rocker panels fixed for the most part. Now there just a few more areas I need to repair under the car.
The other thing I did was cut out the recessed tray (or whatever it is) on the top of the transmission/driveshaft tunnel. It was in the way of my transmission and future driveshaft, so it had to go. I welded in a plate in its place.

The next thing to do is to finish repairing some areas under the car, then degrease and rough up the entire underside of the car so I can spray some undercoat on it. Once all that's done and dry, I can mount everything back in and set it on the ground.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done a few things....
From the build page on facebook over the last month or so:

Well, I made a little more progress on some rust areas and fixing the rocker panels last night before it decided to rain...again.

Well, both rusted out rocker panels are now repaired. Good thing this thing won't be a show car  Hey, it's going to be slung around a track sideways!

Tried some spray can rubber undercoating, and also bolted the subframe back in. I uploaded some quick cell phone pics of the progress.

All suspension components are bolted back in and the car is back on the ground  Now to clean the garage and push it back in there.

Cleaned out the garage as best I could, and pushed the Datsun back inside. Now it won't get rained on  Also, if it does rain, I can still work on the car!

DSC_0065-XL.jpg

DSC_0066-XL.jpg

DSC_0069-XL.jpg

DSC_0070-XL.jpg

DSC_0072-XL.jpg

DSC_0073-XL.jpg

• Like 2

great project - awesome that you are learning as you go too!!

please make it a tilt front!!  you're almost there ;)

Thanks, I appreciate that people like the project.  Definitely learning as I go.

What exactly do you mean by a "tilt front" ? 

As far as the fenders go, I haven't made any definitive commitment to cutting them or whatever, but it seems best to keep the existing wheel opening as well as the rear contour of the fender.  To do this, I was thinking of cutting off the rear contour of the fender, sliding that back to mate up with the body/door line and then sliding the existing wheel opening forward to sit over the wheel/tire, and then adding sheet metal in for the gap in the fender?

• Like 1

Seems like theres two ways to go with the front end, as far as making it look finished again. Either way, seems like you'll be needing another set of fenders (at least it seems like that's the easiest way to go).

1. cut your fenders half way between the wheel well and the rear of fender, and add in the 7 inches from the same area of another set of fenders - Lengthening your fenders, for a stock but stretched look.

2. cut the last 10 inches of another set of fenders and attach them in the stock location, but angle them in a little, so your stock fenders "overlap" them. - If done right, this would resemble a 99ish viper

http://www.google.com/search?q=1999+viper&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=G23vUanaD-OaiALaqoCICw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1455&bih=889#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=HG0vk_a2WBycVM%3A%3B2p-Z_TsZbckUsM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimg2.netcarshow.com%252FDodge-Viper_RT_1999_1280x960_wallpaper_03.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.netcarshow.com%252Fdodge%252F1999-viper_rt%252F1280x960%252Fwallpaper_03.htm%3B1280%3B960

Sorry, no real updates since the last post.  I did take the valve cover off to find the cams rusted lol.  It appears to be just surface rust though.

Also, I need to remove 2 broke cam bolts stuck in the head.  This motor has been sitting since mid 2008 from my wreck I had.  So the motor needs to be gone through to make sure it's all good.  I did however replace all the seals etc when I built it back in 2007, so it only had a few months of use before the wreck.

I still need to build a cradle for the fuel cell

Build a custom exhaust

Run all new brake lines

Make a custom harness

Buy a seat, make custom brackets

Hydro e-brake

etc, etc

and whatever other BS comes up along the way.

Remember, you can follow my build progress here at any time
https://www.facebook.com/ProjectSR71

• 1 month later...

Things that I've done lately:

There were 2 broke cam bolts, and I attempted to remove them, but ran into some issues. The bolts will have to wait a while now I guess.
Since I extended the wheelbase by about 7.5", I obviously have to alter the fenders to compensate for the extension. I decided to cut the back end of the fender off and slide it down to match up with the contour of the door. To fill in the gap, I'm using some sheet metal as well as some black steel mesh to create a vent of sorts. I have the right fender done, I just need to add the small piece of sheet metal and the steel mesh. Once I finish both of the fenders, then I can start working on the hood. Some people may hate me for doing this, but the hood will open like a normal hood as opposed to the normal Datsun 240Z way.

Some photos:

DSC_0047-X3.jpg

DSC_0049-X3.jpg

DSC_0051-X3.jpg

DSC_0052-X3.jpg

DSC_0053-X3.jpg

DSC_0054-X3.jpg

DSC_0055-X3.jpg

DSC_0056-X3.jpg

DSC_0057-X3.jpg

DSC_0058-X3.jpg

DSC_0059-X3.jpg

DSC_0060-X3.jpg

DSC_0061-X3.jpg

DSC_0063-X3.jpg

DSC_0064-X3.jpg

DSC_0066-X3.jpg

I've only had a chance to get the right fender mounted and cut.  I'll have to wait for more free-time to get the left fender done.  After that, it's onto the hood!

• 3 weeks later...

^ I love the aviation style push locks. The rest of it looks great too. I just feel like you could have come up with a better solution for those hinges. I like the rat look, I just don't feel like the hinges are up to par with all of the other great fab work. Was there anyway you could even just put them on the bottom of the hood?