LED bulbs for tail light housing

That sounds similar to the style I used for the reverse lights. Those were substantially brighter. The tail and turn, I find to be marginally brighter.

But here's the other thing, the 510s have plastic housings that are notorious for deteriorating from the heat of the standard bulbs. So the other benefit of the LED is to reduce the heat in the housing.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the single filament were not brighter. The dual filament had a brighter brake/turn light. So I just changed those two dual filament ones. They are also much longer and wouldn't fit the front amber lenses only the back ones. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best thing that is often overlooked about putting LED units in for the turn signals is if you should be stuck you don't have to choose between using your hazard flashers and starting your car later.  Also gives you a chance if you leave your parking lights on.

Especially true if you have a small battery (saving 30+lbs in a 1500# car, such a win)!

Yeah, electronic flasher units (x2) and a half dozen bulbs still comes to over $100 but I do feel better.  I tried to come up with units that were brighter but not too much brighter.

Yes! The flasher units must be replaced with electronic ones. I just pull them from newer cars.

Ah, why didn't I think of that?  Better quality for a fraction of the price.  Great advice for the next car.

thanks,