DATQUICK DATFAST DATSUN!

yeah dont see a ground wire to the alt. Where is the ground wire from the harness??

why is there 2 wires on the + side alt. ? The red with the wht stripe? where this goes?

the wht with red strip thats on + side alt should alreadsy go to the batter via the post on the starter in the harness.

the plug with the jumper wires looks correct.

I assume this alternaot is OK. Otherwise I think the alt light should go out. Ck the fuse to make sure also as the alternator needs to supply 12volts to the field to make power.

also if his is a point coil and you done a Eltric ignition you should still use the ballast resisitor as the stock point coil will get hot and maybe melt down. Thats why the ballast. Its in the "HOW TO" section under elelctric ignition conversion with diagrams.

• Like 1
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20141025_133843_zpsc927b134.jpg

The two wires on the alternator.... where does the large Red/White stripe wire come from right? It joins the White/Red strip wire on the alternator terminal.

There should be a Black ground wire there somewhere. The alternator should still ground through the mounting bolts.

20141013_120121_zps2bd93565.jpg

Where is your negative battery cable grounded?????? I've look at al the pictures and don't see it. It should be bolted to the head just behind the fuel pump.

• Like 3

the alternator has a threaded hole or another threaded post that is to the alternator case. Thats where the ground wire in the harness hooks up to. llok at # post 33 where your fingers are at. the old volt reg plug. theres a blk wire with your fingers. most likely that should get hooked up to the alt near by the alt. Or this wire got cut by someone. There should be length of blk wire that would make it to the alt. There would be also a blk wire that would be bolted where the old volt reg can would be.

The alt is grounded to the other metal parts but the wire harness is NOT as you never hooked it up yet as we can see

How was this thing ever running?

where does this red white strip wire hook up to? I see you have it to the alt but where does the other end go to?

• Like 1

My negative cable is grounded to the passenger side bumper bolts under alternator under bottom hose, but its all brown and rusty so I'm gunna take ur advice and ground it to that hole with bolt behind fuel pump,

So basically the battery is grounded to the frame. Think about it.... the leaf spring, shocks, motor and transmission mounts rad hoses and all rubber and insulate the block from the frame making the ground return very difficult.  I would move it to the proper bolt on location in the picture I posted above. It's right behind the fuel inlet hose gear clamp.

should the red white striped where be hooked up to same spot as alternator as the pink with white striped wire ? Or do they need diff spots

Don't know. The White with Red stripe is correct. Where does the Red with White stripe wire go to???

Wow that was it.

Dont know why all the splicing on this esp with the red wire/ white stripe.

maybe the red/white is really ground and this will all work but I would make this a all blk wire not to confuse in the future. but its a risk you are taking. But if this was running before you should have rememeber what colors went where before you did this conversion.

as with a 510 a red wire white strip is a headlamp circut wire I believe.

20141028_105041_zpsedd7d0cb.jpg

THIS ONE! Just disconnect the other end from the terminal with the White/Red stripe wire on it.

TAKE IT OFF this end. Instead, it should be bolted to the alternator case on the lug just above where the twin wire plug is.

20141028_105041_zpsedd7d0cb.jpg

THIS ONE! Just disconnect the other end from the terminal with the White/Red stripe wire on it.

TAKE IT OFF this end.

Instead, it should be bolted to the alternator case on the lug just above where the twin wire plug is.

OK this was working before???????????Answer this first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont want to take Mikes gusto away but if this was me. I would hook the red wire with the white strip to the threaded post thats shorted to the case on the alt.ITS OBVIOUS!!!!!!!!where this is. The rest of it looks horribel but should work from what I see. As that end has the half cut lug on there and on Datsuns that always used for the ground connection .

then put key to ON and see if you get a alt light.

Then up to you if you want to hit the START button

if works then maybe do a clean up and see what is not really need as those ground wires might just be extra that is not needed as I dont see why the extra wire spliced be the volt reg connector as most external volt reg there is a ground wire that bolts to the body there.

now if this work then either wrap that red wire white stripe with black tape so you dont put it on the wrong end or change the wire to blk.. Be honest you should have taken photos of this before you took it apart if this was working before