Project Shady Boots build.

Keiffer671

New guy here i would like to track my build and see what others think. This is my second 720. I previously had an 81. This build thread is for a 1984 Nissan 720 Kc. I got what i would consider a steal. Options the truck came with include

• Power Window
  • Power Steering
  • A/C 
  • Auto-Trans
  • Cruise control
  • Sunroof
  • lumbar supported seat (not sure how common)

Initial Mods if i may call it that include:

• Removed Camper
  • swapped sliding rear glass for flat glass
  • converted outer lights from sealed beam to halogens, New wires and 4 pin relay (Disco'd the stock wiring)
  • 16" Fj Cruiser TRD alloy wheels (got em free so don't hate..and i love the look)
  • dropped the rear 2 inches and the front about the same

Plans:

• KA24de then DET
  • 4 link rear with coilovers (something like that)
  • Coilover front suspension
  • All black interior (hate other colors)
  • Race seats and Harness

Now for the Pics

20130407_085542.jpg

20130407_085549.jpg

20130407_085554.jpg

20130517_195504.jpg
New grille, Valence and Bumper (ebay shit as this will be a Race truck Next year)
20130608_085914.jpg
New Shoes, Tint, and a few rounds of hand polishing 
20130608_092708.jpg
wrapped up the door panel...need to paint the plastic pieces but i'm not sure if i really like the look 
20130608_092626.jpg
Driver side mirror was stolen while i was pulling parts at a junk yard (theivin bastards)
720.jpg
Latest Pic with the wifey being my Model

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Update...

installed auto door locks into the truck. i had found during the instillation that the truck came with pwr door locks as a factory option (didn't know it was ever there)

i partially wanted to figure out if they still worked but decided to just unmount them and use my new equipment in the existing location and run all new wires. seemed like a better decision in the end and was alot easier than trying to run down the ole wires. 

Converted the automatic trans to manual. Removal of the manual trans was easy and straight forward. The auto proved to be a hell of a lot tighter of a fit which made removing it in the parking lot of my apartment crappy. overall i was happy i had a complete donor truck with all the parts available. 

i picked up a donor truck that was running but had a blown head gasket and a PO who didn't take much care of up. The donor truck will be used as a mock up for getting the new KA test fitted and wired up right. The truck has a fairly straight body with exception to the driver fender and door. It may eventually be a 4x4 with a SAS if funds are available.

The KA block is built. I still need a few bolts that didn't come with the motor and an alternator. i will be building my own harness as i will be using MSII for the fuel control and i do not want to spend the crazy amount of money on a new harness or risk buying a burnt up 20 yo one from the jy. The wiring seems to be pretty straight forward and i should have little problem wiring it into the truck. I have also found that MSII has tuning software available for android devices. i have a spare tablet that gets little use and may be integrated into the dash of the truck for real time data logging and tuning. the touch screen would be a nice little addition i think. it would also double as a media ctr as the tablet has expandable memory which means i can shove my music or vids on it and have a complete multimedia set up. 

will update later with pics. 

You should def document your wiring harnest build for future reference. That's the one thing i still dont know about. But you should send me the head off your old motor. I still need to send you the clutch pedal assembly. Im bout to do a head gasket change as well on one of the motors i have. Its fairly simple. Just got to keep the timing belts tension. But keep me posted on the build bro. I'll try and get the pedals to you as soon as i can. I've just been really busy. so you gonna go with the 4 link suspension? S13 subframes man. But if ya go with the 4 link. Get the mustang ll cobra rear end. A guy who did a ka-t build use the mustang rear end. With 5 lug conversion and lsd. He documented his build good. Here's the link to his build. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/28173/1986-nissan-720-pick-up/page-5/ check it out. Very informational. He did everything well done

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

it's been a while since i posted anything but heres a quick update;

Truck is still down, 

rewired the entire truck. 

built custom engine harness for MS2 ECU, had problems getting it started (likely suspect was the ECU i had is bad)

rewiring the engine harness to run stock ECU for now.

motor was mounted by hacking up the old ka mounts and modding them to fit

oil pan was notched  in the front for clearance for the center link.

sway bar was deleted. i won't need it to get the truck running and there are plans for a front coil over conversion (funds/time permitting)

motor itself is full stock internal/injectors

cheap ebay intake manifold and exhaust (all will be swapped out if i can get around to making it a ka-t)

walboro 255 external fuel pump. 

a set of analog gauges from oriellys (oil pressure, fuel load, volt, speed, temp, tach)

battery relocated to the back seat

should get the stock set up running this weekend pics to follow

sorry about the crappy updating