DATSUN 411 Goon

ABEATRON

Hey all

I just picked up a 411 wagon and would like to know

1.Aftermarket lowering springs availble?(STIFF)

2.Brakes any stock brakes off a datsun drop right in caliper and rotor

3.Need new tail lights

will post pics soon

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Year?  WPL4111 or WRL411?  I assume WRL411 since you mention rotors later, but being specific eliminates useless responses.

Lowering springs?  Front or rear?  Some use roadster front springs, some cut coils from the original.  If you have  WRL411 you might have a problem with rubbing the exhaust downpipe in left hand turns if you lower too much.  Remember, the exhaust pipe is routed through the left front inner fender liner.

Disc brakes?  Pads are still available, you should ask for 1968 510 brake pads, most in store guides don't even know the RL and WRL 411s even exist.  There is a discussion in the Brakes section quite recently about caliper replacements or rebuilds.

Tail lights?  Early 411 wagons had "Keyhole" shaped lights, late ones had "rectangular" shaped ones.  Reflectors were separate from the tail lights, not an integral part like the sedan version.

• Like 1

im thinking hes got wpl411 and looking for a bolt on disk brake solution. if so i have a set of the mklotz brakes on spindles for sale. $400 as a full bolt on setup. tail lights can be had on ebay. i dont think you will find true wagon ones like mike said, wagons had a separate reflector and the wagons had it integrated....dont ask me why they would do that. front spring as said, roadster ones are the best option, its what greg over at nico club usd on his beautiful restoration. i used to run cut spring on mine with liek 3 coils missing, but i wanted it slammed, didnt ride horible either. its now on stock coils with 1.5 rounds cut out. anything else you need just ask!!!!!!

• Like 1

Mine have the older style so I'm not 100%, but as long as these are amber around the reflectors, these look right.

Actually amber turn signals are on the non US versions only? So these may be red and still be correct for you guys? 

Plenty there, 10+ pairs. May not be NOS? But will do the trick.

View item:
DATSUN NISSAN 411 410 BLUEBIRD 63 64 65 66 67 TAILLIGHT REAR TAIL LIGHT LENS NEW

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

OK. From the pictures it's a WPL411.  A slight adjustment on hood alignment will even up the gap on the passenger side, otherwise very good, no excellent, condition.

Historically station wagons have remained with the solid Hotckiss rear axle, even Mercedes, it's a load bearing and deflection issue.  IRS are sometimes a real problem with the rear floor clearance.  Hopefully some of the members who have tried or actually done this conversion will chip in!

Measure twice before cutting on the engine swap.  411s have a notoriously short engine compartment.  Firewall or radiator [or both] may be a clearance problem.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know who makes aftermarket springs r if 311 springs will work?

See response #4, Roadster springs seem to be the route to go.

www.suspension.com or www.datsunparts.com may be a good starting point for new or modified roadster springs. Good luck, wish you were coming to the Queen Mary in September. I'd like to see that wagon.

THANKS TO EVERYONE PLANS ARE TO DROP IT AND SWAP A SR20DET RED TOP WITH a subie rear end and dust fuck boys

im pretty sure no one here suggested that... please dont cut this car up if you dont already know how to fabricate , weld, do wiring, or know anything about suspension setups... far too many projects here say "im gonna swap to struts, body drop it, bags all around, rb26 awd, full cage, ifs swap it and run 18s" months later after money skill and patience have run out there is a for sale thread for rust free rockers and all the sheetmetal and stock parts that wont go back on to the cut up car destined for the crusher.... just make sure you arent choosing this as your first car build. 

and if you think im just flaming you im not, i already bought and ended up cuttin up a 67 sss wagon that a now non active member had similar plans to modify the car, i got it in peices and so far from being able to be reassembled and fixed that i just cut it up and used the parts from it on my car..... dont be that guy

• Like 4

Abeatron, I agree with the above posts.... Wagons are hard to come by. if you want one to hack up, trade this gem for a less complete car and hack that one, so we can keep this one in the world as pure as possible. The wagon I just picked up, the new owner that bought it had to go through a sniff test to make sure he wasn't going to hack it before I sold it to him. We have a responsibility to all of the world to maintain the art form.

• Like 2

yeah i was pretty upset to cut up the sss goon, i took every bolt out of it... literaly. it was a bare shell minus the tank, rear hatch a n a few things aft the rear doors. i traded that complete section for a motor, that the guy said ran and i got there it was in peices... thats another story but lets just say i got screwed. i still have a ton of parts from it abd ive helped quite few ppl with parts for theres. si it wasnt just scraped but repurposed lol.

All imput is aways welcomed and after looking at different engine setups(rotary,L series,sr,ka,rb,F20 off a S2000) I ve decided to keep it stock to much cutting I am not of fan of cutting up old gems like this its like whe they swap LS1 into AE86's or 240sx makes me cringe.I am going rebuild the motor once I trace all the parts needed, as for  the transmission its a 4 speed with 3rd gear shot looking to see what 5 speed will work? I will be posting pics up soon got the chrome redone

All imput is aways welcomed and after looking at different engine setups(rotary,L series,sr,ka,rb,F20 off a S2000) I ve decided to keep it stock to much cutting I am not of fan of cutting up old gems like this its like whe they swap LS1 into AE86's or 240sx makes me cringe.I am going rebuild the motor once I trace all the parts needed, as for  the transmission its a 4 speed with 3rd gear shot looking to see what 5 speed will work? I will be posting pics up soon got the chrome redone

There's a J13 motor and transmission for sale today in the classified section.  Claimed to be running.  You might want to contact the seller! 

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah that tranny and motor are for sale but hes 8 hours away from where I am located at :sleep: .Is their any other tranny that would bolt right up maybe off a roadster ? or L series all help is welcomed really want to have my baby ready for JCC in Long Beach.

they dont fit. the cam gear is too big and the valve cover will stick out the hood, same issue with putting on in a 520, they have the same droop to the front of the hood. a short trans would technically fit, but youll never close the hood. plus i think the wiper motor will hit the back of the valve cover too. your daily driver will be wiperless.

Search in 410 and L series and a guy has a lt. blue on done and all fits its on here found after I posted , anyway L18 and L16 are a little shorter and I can drop to where needs to be maybe modify oil pan if needed , I think it will fit as other one that's done already ,we can do some measuring . .