610 180b sr20det Alleycatgarage daily driver project

Hi  all-- the names have been changed to protect the un-innocent .........

Hi out there ! this project is to make a driver and user serviceable project 610 2dr coupe .

Background on this car is I painted six years ago ,and body is in excellent shape (no rust and floors and trunk  still shine as new almost)and we have up graded suspension  ,brakes etc.

Cust. request generic black engine bay for ease of touch up .here are start oics for tease.DSCF3053.jpgDSCF3083.jpgDSCF3086.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The paint is gloss black XO2 rust brand ,anti rust and some uv. FOR PAINT VAMPIRE) ,anyway the pic is big hole in firewall for harness,and cast top mount exhaust manifold with T25/T28 gasket on T3 mount we are going to weld up and re-mill three of these ,with slight angle as needed at a machine shop near by in Whittier here. Photobucket will not work , only highlighted link . Post later maybe

The paint is gloss black XO2 rust brand ,anti rust and some uv. FOR PAINT VAMPIRE) ,anyway the pic is big hole in firewall for harness,and cast top mount exhaust manifold with T25/T28 gasket on T3 mount we are going to weld up and re-mill three of these ,with slight angle as needed at a machine shop near by in Whittier here. Photobucket will not work , only highlighted link . Post later maybe

If you say so. I would not paint with out proper primer any engine bay. Specially when you had an empty engine bay. Do  not let your customer see this, chances are he would not like it. Body prep and conditioning is one of the most overlooked areas in classic cars. Most of the rust issues originate in bad work ,cuts in metal  that do not get proper protection. Glass that is not properly installed , dents filled with bondo instead of working metal. 

What about here: Should had been painted before gear box went in...if any paint was used.

DSCF3109.jpg

The problem is most Customers do not want to pay for actual time it took to totally degrease and prep and strip out stuff (maybe like 8 hrs at least), this was a bit of work to get this clean before paint was to be applied , also always wipe with wax and grease remover ,but this one got thinner ,anyway paint was applied as directions ,OX2 rust- no primer needed on painted surface ,the car was screaming for orange but got black instead and for your information ,you can brush black POR 15 on edges you seem so concerned with , Hey Bob what part of the country are you in ? so concerned bout rust ?maybe your in Transalvania humid !!!!

1st pic of start of wiring ECU and position under pass. seat ,I ran harness on left side of heater then under it to right passenger side ,the length is right and also igniter inside car near heater and under console of 610 ,hid stuff very nice ,and will mount boost and mech. oil pressure gauge ,this swap decided to use complete S13 gas pedal and as much cable hardware as possible !Had to move cable mount on freddy intake was wrong for throttle pull to butterfly,will post my stainless brake hose/throttle cable test ok needs mounted to firewall.

Phot-bucket jacked up at this time will not allow oics till later .

Ok need to explain a couple items ,

1. throttle cable is brake hose with a center support crimped on motor side (I tried a little marble paint job on ) and firewall side ,has a bent metal tube under heat proof sleeve attached to stock hardware to try and fight heat of down pipe , probably will be a 2.5 thick wall pipe at turbo to under car with abit of welding and bending.

2. Console had to go back an inch for trans clearance at shifter.

3. Trying to run Honda battery in engine bay !

Photo bucket jacked up will not show oics till later.

Hope this 610 is a keeper. Tired of threads where cars get only half way done and then enthusiasm dissipates. Or cars getting fixed up only to see them sold. No time for that BS.

I know the owner of this car...its going to be a keeper.

• Like 1

As the Godfather of 610's I'd like to chime in at this point...from my perspective I think that this fine-tuned stock DET will make a jolly driver. As we all know the porkly 2-door hardtops are about the  sweetest looking cars when in Cruse Position #1 (all four windows down headin to the beach in SoCal). This rust-free specimen will turn a few heads when it comes blowing past ya (if you don't gag looking at the hokey reverse black rims). But I ramble... 

Vicdat

• Like 1

^^ Vicdat - good to see you on ratsun! That L20B is still running real strong. I need to bring Ol' Betsy by the shop for you to see her in all of her glory.

104_1672.jpg104_1673.jpg104_1671.jpg104_1670.jpg104_1706.jpg104_1707.jpg104_1708.jpg

Wanted to use stock s13 gas pedal -more modern -no hinge conection to floor.

First pics of factory s13 gas pedal mod. had to cut and re-weld upper gas pedal1/2 " for alignment ,on fire wall side, bent tube then install cable inside and heat proof stuff ,also have stock wire harness rubber grommet for hole above gas pedal where I cut 2" hole for harness ,also check space along heater I am running harness as said ,fits better and length is right for under seat mount.

Radiator is one from near by (for a 240sx with sr swap) where all parts get domesticated here in El Monte Ca. was only 150 with two thin 12" fans .

Cut and welded stock radiator upper rubber mounts ,weld 6mm nuts to them also,making them 90deg. and slip behind core support so drilled  two holes and allen bolts will hold rad. clean.

Again trying to make user friendly or stock so I cut down factory fan shroud and will mount fans to it so it will remove as factory in one piece with top holes and pegs at bottom same as factory 240sx or s13 and radiator also,.

MAF ect.and such ,trying to keep piping near factory lengths for tune purpose for a nice throttle response on DAIsEY driver ,we will see !

So a 240sx will fit a 610 with a little fab and slide over towards L side to clear cold intercooler pipe near my battery on R. side of bay .,next stop Napa for upper hose lower should still use stock 240sx.

(I am doing a paint job on a 1970 Triumph Mc at this time and a couple other things but will keep on project and make run, so I can move out and start rb25 240z soon)