Sensor light

Kegomatix

My buddy (well rather a buddy of a buddy) took the 720 mudding in my back field. It sounded like he had it pinned down at redline the entire time.... 

Anyhow, the sensor light kicked on but it doesn't seem to be running any different. I can't imagine there would be too many possibilities on an 86, and the 02 sensor was replaced pretty recently. Could it be anything else or is it pretty much only tied in to the 02 sensor?

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know the 720 even had a sensor light in the dash. Could it be the charge light? What does it say?

Most EFI  models have a 'check engine' type light to warn that the computer has picked up some kind of sensor/emission type problem. If this was just a brief 'spike' that set it, disconnecting the battery briefly will reset it. If the problem is permanent it will come back.

• Like 1

Yeah I have an '84 FSM and I don't see it.  Correction I found it to the left of the bat and above the 4x4 on indicator. Can't find anything on how it is turned on.  Disconnect battery and see if it comes back on later.

• Like 1

Well you can unplug the larger 20 pin connector to the ECU under the driver's seat and check the continuity from it to the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold. Disconnect the O2 sensor and ground the wire to the exhaust manifold. On your ohm meter place the + lead on the #2 wire in the ECU plug and the - lead to ground. If the wire is good you should read o (zero) ohms.

• Like 1

My sensor light is also coming on but after a few revs of engine it goes away and after light goes off immediately I hear a buzzing/whining noise coming from engine bay cant pin point it I thought it was water pump but I replaced that today and still no luck

FML alt belt came off pulley on way home tonight , luckily it was still there somehow just missing some teeth I was able to get it back on pullies and as I was tightening the top alt bolt I snapped off the head F#@K!  Luckily I was only a few miles from home and was able to drive home and somehow belt stayed on :thumbup:

• Like 1

I think the Sensor light has to do with the temperature of the catalytic converter.  I've had a couple of old European cars in my day, and their Sensor light was tied to a thermal switch in the floorboard above the cat.  Driving too hard would overheat the catalyst and cause damage-- ignoring it could cause a fire.  Seems like I read somewhere that the Sensor light in the 720s are supposed to stop reading after 100,000 miles, which is the service life of the cat.

• Like 1

OK

Here is what the sensor light means, how it operates and how to 'service' it.

by Mike Cieply:

The sensor light is a maintenance reminder. It is programmed to come on at 50k and 90k, at 60 k you are supposed to check  the 02 sensor and replace if needed, after that, there is a one wire connector (believe the wire is brown) under the cluster (below clock under the dash) you take it apart and swap it to the other one wire connector, it will go off until 90 k, check o2s again and replace if needed, then disconnect the connector entirely and the light will never return ( this is per the Nissan FSM) 

My 76 710 a counter like an hour meter (so do similar year cars and trucks) on the pass side that sets off a warning lamp to remind you to clean and service your EGR valve.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Huh, this is all new info to me. 

I have the sensor light in my '84. A week or two ago i was swapping out some of the dim cluster lights and noticed the SENSOR bulb was missing. Installed one and it lit right up. Stayed on, too. 

So I just took it right back out....

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

i was going to work this morning and for the first time my sensor light came on. i just came home and the light is off. what would cause that to happen? because ive been reading on this now, it says it comes on at 50k and 90k. it doesnt make sense since i have just over 124xxx on mine

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

My 85 has a sensor light and a couple inches down the wire there is a tag saying i think something about seat sensor and it turns on after 90k and then you reset your battery and then it turns on after another 60k and then your supposed to unplug it which i did when the light came on and havnt had an issue with it since.

• Like 2