Honda Hate?

Being a fairly new guy, I've noticed lots of Honda hate. Yet, the recent Honda 600 thread seemed to draw lots of enthusiasm. So, is it more of a disdain for a certain set that seems to favor Hondas? Or is it Honda 600s are okay, everything else sucks? What about 1st and 2nd Gen Civics? There are some cool little Hondas out there. Not looking to start a shitstorm. Just wondering if it's more about a group that favors Hondas, or the brand itself.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's brand loyalty. This is a Datsun forum and we're naturally chauvinistic towards Nissans... all others are poop. If this were a Honda forum it would be the other way around. No big deal.... and there are some cars to like by every maker.

• Like 4

I'm not just a Nissan/datsun fan I'm an all round car fan. There are cars from all makes that I would love to own. That includes honda/acura. 

From an engineering stand point Honda is better then Nissan. In Japan Honda is held much higher then Nissan. What hurts them the most here among car folk is that 90% of honda tuners are idiot kids with no taste and big attitudes lol. 

• Like 5

I've had a 94 accord sedan and a 97 civic coupe. Loved em both, wish I still had them both. Both automatics, both got great gas-mileage, both never have me a single mechanical problem. I also didn't "mod" either. I don't think these two cars are the type that draw all the ire either though. I think the "Honda Hate" is more reserved for people who cruise the Wal-Mart clearance section looking for "upgrades" like simulated brake rotors and do sticker/badge swaps instead of engine swaps. Also, fart can muffler tips. Who doesn't hate those? Or the cars with sweet-ass dual-exhaust, but on cold days you can tell only one is hooked up? :rofl:

Outside the car communities Honda's get shitted on by a lot of people who dont know better.  My best friend in high school got a 90 civic in high with some late model engine swap that was actually a decent car, and he was completely ostracized by a large group of his friends just because of the car he got.  Everyone gave him shit for being a "ricer", even though his car had little to no cosmetic mods besides wheels, and low. No spoiler, no plastic chrome, only a mild exhaust,  The worst was everyone went on and on about how "slow" it must have been but whichever engine has been swapped in made really decent power and the car was far from slow.   I think it even had a set of sticky street tires!

The real "ricers" in my opinion are the 240sx guys who stance the hell out of their cars, build them drift spec, then never actually drift or even drive the cars. Race inspired cosmetic enhancements is whar RICE stands for, and thats basically what a lot of 240 drivers do. Yet those guys are "sick" and "ill" and not seen as losers like the honda guys.

If you wanna talk about a Honda that no one seems to hate, the Civic Wagon RT, aka Wagovan, aka 4wd Civic is a car everyone seems to talk about and want, even a lot of honda haters.  I for one personally dont understand blind honda hate, but I guess I can see why people can get annoyed with the ebay modded-fart can type douch bag cars.

I hate FWD.  EXCEPT, as in Honda 600s, original Mini Coopers, and even the B13 platform.  Honda builds great cars and great motors, no question.  But most of their cars cannot do a Dukes of Hazzard style slide around a dirt corner without the use of a handbrake.  That = lame.  Which means Datsun is superior! :)

I currently own four vehicles.  Guess which ones are FWD? :)  You're right!  None!

• Like 1

most hondas are boring fwd commuter cars. they dont get hate for that though.

because its not the cars people hate, its 99% of the massively incompetent douchebag kids that own them everyone hates.

your mums civic isnt a JDM TYYYIGHT racecar.... yo.

• Like 1

Hondas are great cars. "Honda Hate" are prolly towards more on their drivers/owners (mostly the kids). A lot of them are a bunch of ricers, burning out on meets, revving their engines, etc

K&N filters, fart cans, xxr wheels & Raceland coilovers & they think they're superiors.

I personally love hondas, and I love how the majority here is immediatly Hate hate hate FWD, only cuz they don't know about s2000 or NSX(Shhhhhhhh!!!!! Don't tell them about these rwd sportscars ) and btw in FWD is harder to control around turns than RWD in real track racing, you have to have more skills witch the majority here do not possess.+ the fact of honda motors aremore power And mpg from the factory, how can honda put out a 1.8liter that has 210hp and 30+mpg?? People here do not understand it, early sr20det have turbo and put out same power with worse mpgs...

I had a 77 cvcc and an 87 accord. No mods stock cars. They ran great, never gave me issues, normal maintenance. Great has mileage. Would own again. I'd rock a mid nineties or late nineties civic any day. Stock, or lowered. Tinted windows and a stereo. That's it mod wise. Comfy, creature comforts. Fuel injection. Yes please. But with that said, I'd get a sentra first :lol:

See the ricer thread and you'll understand the Honda hate.

I like Honda's in general, when done properly. Hell, I like anything if it's done right. I'd be the first guy to rock the fuck out of an old Nash Airflyte too. 

The 600 is old school, and are kinda the 'Datsun' of the Honda market. Every owner I've met has shunned all other Honda's because of the cheap-o, loud, annoying losers that seem to follow them. 

for me it is the people who tend to own them, not the cars. i would love to own a Honda as a commuter or somethin to just play around with. but most of these ricer assholes that think "My Honda can beat ANYTHING!" is what turns me off. Same goes for Chevy's in my eyes.

All said thats just my personal opinion.

I've just had limited but good experiences with Hondas. I owned a 1st Gen Civic, a '78 I believe. Honestly, I wish I still had it. It was a fun car. My girlfriend in High School had a 1st Gen CRX. That car was fun as hell to drive. And while I love having a Datsun project car, I'd like to have something like an older Accord as a daily driver. Or even another 1st Gen Civic.

I've just had limited but good experiences with Hondas. I owned a 1st Gen Civic, a '78 I believe. Honestly, I wish I still had it. It was a fun car. My girlfriend in High School had a 1st Gen CRX. That car was fun as hell to drive. And while I love having a Datsun project car, I'd like to have something like an older Accord as a daily driver. Or even another 1st Gen Civic.

I had a '76 CVCC wagon as a first car... wish I had it as well. I hated it at the time, but looking back it was awesome. Id kill to get it back. After that I had a '91 CRX Si which was a big POS, but was a fun driver until I crashed it being an idiot. 

Theres a 1st Gen Accord hatchback in a yard up here that Im sure I could get back on the road if it didnt come with a junk title. More effort than its worth. 

I don't dislike hondas so much... it's more some of the people that drive them. I'd take a honda over an american car any day of the week. old cars are a whole different story tho, there's not a ton of classics out there I'd turn my nose up to. The 70's hondas are cool little cars and american muscle from the right years are just awesome. I chose to get into datsuns because i love little trucks and in my opinion datsun made some of the best looking trucks of the 60's and 70's. Plus the fact that there's such a strong community based around them makes owning my datsun a blast.

My wife drives my old 92 Accord.  It has almost 247k miles on it now and besides cosmetic issues (minor collision damage, clearcoat gone, etc) it has never had any major problems (AC compressor died last year, front door electric window regulators replaced with salvaged ones in the last 2 years).  Unfortunately interior quality has gone down IMO since the 3rd & 4th generation Accords.  When our 92 interior is cleaned up it's like brand new and the fit & finish is great.  When we start looking for a new (used) car, I'm not really sure what we're going to go for.  Everything these days is so blah and lacks quality IMO.

well, I must be in the minority from the looks of things. I hate Hondas as cars, I've had nothing but trouble with them. the only one I've owned nickel and dimed me more than my datsuns do, but was 20 years newer. had a couple of friends that have had civics and accords, they can never manage to keep them on the road, constantly breaking down on them. at this point, i'd rather take the bus or walk than drive a Honda, and i'd almost rather walk or take the bus than ride in someone elses. i'm not a fan of the stereotypical idiots that are drawn to Hondas either, but it truly is the maker and cars themselves that I hate.

well, I must be in the minority from the looks of things. I hate Hondas as cars, I've had nothing but trouble with them. the only one I've owned nickel and dimed me more than my datsuns do, but was 20 years newer. had a couple of friends that have had civics and accords, they can never manage to keep them on the road, constantly breaking down on them. at this point, i'd rather take the bus or walk than drive a Honda, and i'd almost rather walk or take the bus than ride in someone elses. i'm not a fan of the stereotypical idiots that are drawn to Hondas either, but it truly is the maker and cars themselves that I hate.

My family has had: 83 accord (t-boned, totalled), 84 accord (sold with ~224k, starting to burn oil), 86 civic (sold with >180k, running great), 87 prelude (t-boned, totalled), 90 accord (240k+ still driving), 92 accord (246k+ still driving), 94 accord (sold with ~190k, running great), 95 civic (sold, had to swap in a salvaged automatic for $400), 98 accord (~180k still driving), 2003 accord (~120k still driving), 97 integra (stolen, scrapped).  Perhaps you have irresponsible, poorly maintaining friends?  That $400 replacement trans was the most any of our Hondas have ever needed.

• Like 2