Make yer very own Aux Input

vanmansam

If in doubt hook up your radio to a 12v source, and read  voltage with radio on at both ends of the pot.  The wire with lower voltage, and which voltage drops when you turn the volume knob down is the one you splice into.

Could I measure the resistance to determine the same thing? Rather than going out to the garage and hooking it up to 12v off a battery. I mean, I can, but I have the radio inside and its cold outside :rofl:

Side note, you said to splice into the wire of which the voltage drops when you turn the volume knob down, wouldn't that be the output side of the pot that goes to the speaker? which would mean no volume adjustment. And you'd want to tap into the other wire, that would be a constant voltage IE the input to the pot? Maybe I'm just thinking backwards tho, I'm no electrical genius

• Like 1
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could I measure the resistance to determine the same thing? Rather than going out to the garage and hooking it up to 12v off a battery. I mean, I can, but I have the radio inside and its cold outside 

Side note, you said to splice into the wire of which the voltage drops when you turn the volume knob down, wouldn't that be the output side of the pot that goes to the speaker? which would mean no volume adjustment. And you'd want to tap into the other wire, that would be a constant voltage IE the input to the pot? Maybe I'm just thinking backwards tho, I'm no electrical genius

For step one: No, because resistance will change for both potentiometers... how will you know which is which? Its been a long time since figured the wiring out so I dont know specifics but for me it was easiest to check with voltage hooked up. I am not sure exactly how the tone vs volume pots differ but you're right, there is probably a simpler way to check with a meter.

For the second comment you are right, and I thought I edited that portion out.  It has been a while since I did this write up and I have edited it a few times, and it still need some revisions for technical clarity.

Also for the record, I had to replace my radio two weeks ago, the old board wasn't salvageable after I broke it and that magic smoke rolled out. Installed my little aux back in the "new" radio and it didnt work quite right at first. I rewired where the resistor was on the RCA and it worked.  Maybe this weekend I will go back and revise the original post once again, cause I didnt exactly do it right the first time.

I am no electrical genius either, I just wanted to make this write up to try and help some guys out and maybe spark some ideas.  Just fuck with it until it works, or until you break your green board and have to buy a new radio. :rofl:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I read that this is for a single speaker or at least mono. is there a way to wire this up and send sound to two speakers in stereo?

i'd like to do this, and send sound to some kickpanel speakers.