Z32 caliper compatibility

HAM8URGER

Ok so I'm sure someone is going to burn me and mention "search" or something but I couldn't find exactly what im looking for.

I have donor z32 calipers front and rear so I'd like to see if I can use them.

Ill have the 280zx front strut setup and plan on running 15" wheels.

Any help would be appreciated. What would I need to make it work? And how about the rear?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

minimal clearance on z32 calipers/rotors are 16". maybe if you run a smaller rotor, you could get away with running a 15" wheel, but why do a 4 piston caliper with small rotors, ya know? i dont know about the conversion itself, just wanted to let you know that you wont be able to run your 15" wheels.

z32 brakes are a super common upgrade on just about every nissan.

next time consult google and do your research (ie z32 brakes 280zx 965k results)

pretty much all it takes to put these brakes on just about any car is:

brackets, rotors that fit your application AND calipers or maybe a hub change,

sometimes new lines, and of course z32 calipers.

z32s came with a 26 OR 30mm caliper, depending on year/engine, so youll have to match

up your rotors accordingly.

AND, it IS possible to fit fit the approx 11" rotor (plus 1.5 or so of caliper)

on smaller wheels, but it really depends on the the inner barrel design of the wheel.

MOST wheels wont clear it, so its easier to just run a 16" wheel than find a 15" thatll fit.

not thats just talking about height wise of course. the desing of the inner wheel face

will dictate if the wheels can clear the calipers. if they dont, you can just run spacers.

• Like 1

Z32 calipers will bolt up to 200sx V6, late Z31 Turbo, and M30 struts.  I have been able to fit both my 15" XXR's with a 5mm spacer to clear the "Nissan" letters and my S12 15" steelies with a 5/8" spacer due to the inside hub area of the wheel hitting the underside of the caliper. Outer clearance to the barrel was a non-issue with both wheels. I am running the 26mm's with a drilled Z32 280mm rotor.

click:

th_E344B5DA-8BB8-45B5-82DF-AB3943FE03C4-

click:

th_6E409D13-79A2-495B-BF06-165E12884ECD-

D30437C1-A4DC-41B5-BB15-C05150E084B8-736

7D53083B-9C04-4745-90FE-238FF5841FE4-354

• Like 2

damn bababoey, that 4th photo is ridiculous! in a good way of course. 

tristin, im sure you could fill&drill the rodeo rotors to fit. 

much like how beebani machines z32 rotors to fit 620s

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Z32 calipers will bolt up to 200sx V6, late Z31 Turbo, and M30 struts.  I have been able to fit both my 15" XXR's with a 5mm spacer to clear the "Nissan" letters and my S12 15" steelies with a 5/8" spacer due to the inside hub area of the wheel hitting the underside of the caliper. Outer clearance to the barrel was a non-issue with both wheels. I am running the 26mm's with a drilled Z32 280mm rotor.

click:

th_E344B5DA-8BB8-45B5-82DF-AB3943FE03C4-

click:

th_6E409D13-79A2-495B-BF06-165E12884ECD-

D30437C1-A4DC-41B5-BB15-C05150E084B8-736

7D53083B-9C04-4745-90FE-238FF5841FE4-354

Please more specific info about what Year are those Z32 Calipers coming from? is it coming out from a 300ZX  Turbo or Non Turbo car , are those made of Aluminum (light weight) or Cast Iron (heavy weight).

Correct me guys if I'm wrong, the comparison of some different z32 300zx brake calipers

The 26mm Aluminum  calipers were used ONLY on 1990 non-turbos. They used a 280mm x 26mm rotor.

The 30mm Aluminum calipers were used on 1990 Twin-turbos and All 1991-1992.5 300zx's (both turbo and non-turbo version). They used the 280mm x 30mm rotor.

The 30mm Iron Calipers were used on All 1992.5-1996 300ZX's (both turbo and non-turbo version). They also used the 280mm x 30mm rotors.

Plus the easiest way to tell from aluminum and Iron Cast is to use a magnet.

You are running with the 280zx Struts all around, the fronts are 280zx struts with the front wheel Hub too of the 280zx, 510 or 300zx? and the front brake caliper brackets are also 280zx,510 or the 300zx?

this week I'm getting pay and I'm buying the full set of struts from a 280zx fronts and backs, plus I already have from a 1993 300zx non turbo front set calipers 4 pistons are real heavy "Cast Iron" I got it for my old 95 240sx swap but I Sold it and I kept the 300zx non turbo front calipers, now if I use those calipers which are 30mm, I will need to get the rotors too as well from a 1993 300zx non turbo that are 30.0mm  rotors.

Are those drilled rotors 26mm or 30mm that you are running on your datsun510, must be 26mm rotors since your calipers looks like they are Aluminum, I can't use 26mm rotors for my 300zx non turbo front cast iron calipers. 

What type of Master Cylinder are you using with that set up ? the 280zx or 300zx master cylinder? thanks sorry guys for asking many questions.. I have a set of calipers in a box from a 93 300zx non turbo with brake pads, and stainless steel brake lines too and I want to see if I can put those to work or what things I need to get to make those work in my datsun 510.  Plus also if I do this front brake set up will it fit a 15x8 rims 0 offset , or what size spacer I need to get to clear up the calipers touching my rims or I will be alright or I might need to go 16inch x 8  0 offset. ?

Use the hub that comes with the strut.

Rotors will need to be redrilled to four lug pattern. Buy the rotors for the car you got your calipers from. If you want drilled, then drilled for that car. The 26/28mm and the aluminum/iron debate only matters when you are shopping for a brake setup. Since you have calipers, just buy matching parts, nothing else matters except as trivial information.

Are you updating the rear brakes as well? You need to list full brake plans before a useful recommendation can be made on matter cylinder sizing.

Offset doesn't matter very much on clearing the calipers. The shape of the face of the rim matters. You could try multiple rims all with the exact same specs and find only half of them fit because the backside of the face hits the caliper. You might also find some really lame rims fit just because they have a deep concave face. Look for z32 and s13/14 guys running the rims you want over z32 calipers for better info.

The thicker rotors will change offset by 1mm in each direction. Highly unlikely this will actually effect rim fitment. Doesn't matter exactly which z32 stuff 510t is using because the differences for fitment are negligible.

Oh and use the z32 caliper bracket.

• Like 2

Use the hub that comes with the strut.

Are you updating the rear brakes as well? You need to list full brake plans before a useful recommendation can be made on matter cylinder sizing.

Oh and use the z32 caliper bracket.

Yeah I'm buying the 280zx struts all around from the guy parting out his 280zx car, I was thinking to buy the front brakes too but then I was like, wait I have a pair of z32 front cast iron calipers so that's what I'm going to use.

I will get the rotors or drilled rotors that match for my z32 front calipers, all I have to do now it's to find me a set of front brake brackets to mount my front calipers, if I can't find any 300zx's in the junk yard idk if the S14 might be the same front brackets as the 300zx.

Now what would be recommended to upgrade the rear brakes as well, with those z32 front calipers, should I get the rear 200sx calipers, or grab the 280zx rear calipers since I'm grabbing the front and rear strut set from the 280zx, or use the maxima rear calipers, what option will be convenient since I already pull the stock engine out and I will go for sr20det swap, not crazy power but moderate 200hp for daily use. Should I grab the master cylinder from the 280zx or go for another masterm cylinder that works for my z32 front calipers and with the suggested rear brakes upgrade too.

• Like 1

You will have to do a little research to find the best answer. Here's what i would recommend looking into. 240sx guys using z32 front and factory s chassis rear brakes use a z31 master cylinder. It is halfway between the S and the Z32 master in size.

So, if the 280zx brakes are similar in size to 240sx rear brakes, use a z31 master cylinder, or one that is the same diameter. That will be plenty of braking power and an appropriately size master.

I don't know for sure which brackets will make those calipers fit. Best bet is to research z32 brake swaps on 280zxs. Then do what they did

• Like 1

Please more specific info about what Year are those Z32 Calipers coming from? is it coming out from a 300ZX  Turbo or Non Turbo car , are those made of Aluminum (light weight) or Cast Iron (heavy weight).

Correct me guys if I'm wrong, the comparison of some different z32 300zx brake calipers

The 26mm Aluminum  calipers were used ONLY on 1990 non-turbos. They used a 280mm x 26mm rotor.

The 30mm Aluminum calipers were used on 1990 Twin-turbos and All 1991-1992.5 300zx's (both turbo and non-turbo version). They used the 280mm x 30mm rotor.

The 30mm Iron Calipers were used on All 1992.5-1996 300ZX's (both turbo and non-turbo version). They also used the 280mm x 30mm rotors.

Plus the easiest way to tell from aluminum and Iron Cast is to use a magnet.

You are running with the 280zx Struts all around, the fronts are 280zx struts with the front wheel Hub too of the 280zx, 510 or 300zx? and the front brake caliper brackets are also 280zx,510 or the 300zx?

this week I'm getting pay and I'm buying the full set of struts from a 280zx fronts and backs, plus I already have from a 1993 300zx non turbo front set calipers 4 pistons are real heavy "Cast Iron" I got it for my old 95 240sx swap but I Sold it and I kept the 300zx non turbo front calipers, now if I use those calipers which are 30mm, I will need to get the rotors too as well from a 1993 300zx non turbo that are 30.0mm  rotors.

Are those drilled rotors 26mm or 30mm that you are running on your datsun510, must be 26mm rotors since your calipers looks like they are Aluminum, I can't use 26mm rotors for my 300zx non turbo front cast iron calipers. 

What type of Master Cylinder are you using with that set up ? the 280zx or 300zx master cylinder? thanks sorry guys for asking many questions.. I have a set of calipers in a box from a 93 300zx non turbo with brake pads, and stainless steel brake lines too and I want to see if I can put those to work or what things I need to get to make those work in my datsun 510.  Plus also if I do this front brake set up will it fit a 15x8 rims 0 offset , or what size spacer I need to get to clear up the calipers touching my rims or I will be alright or I might need to go 16inch x 8  0 offset. ?

Z32 calipers will bolt up to 200sx V6, late Z31 Turbo, and M30 struts.  I am running the 26mm's with a drilled Z32 280mm rotor.

I used M30 struts.  Z32 calipers (any of them) do not bolt up to ZX struts.  I chose aluminum 26mm brakes to avoid the extra weight that the 30mm aluminum or cast iron versions would add.

Master cylinder selection depends on the rear brakes, the presence or lack of a booster, and personal preference.  I like my 7/8 master with no booster and 200sx/ Maxima rear discs.  I believe most people run 3/4, 7/8 or 15/16.  I don't remember what application my 7/8 master came from, maybe a 280z?

I used M30 struts.  Z32 calipers (any of them) do not bolt up to ZX struts.  I chose aluminum 26mm brakes to avoid the extra weight that the 30mm aluminum or cast iron versions would add.

Master cylinder selection depends on the rear brakes, the presence or lack of a booster, and personal preference.  I like my 7/8 master with no booster and 200sx/ Maxima rear discs.  I believe most people run 3/4, 7/8 or 15/16.  I don't remember what application my 7/8 master came from, maybe a 280z?

Good morning. I'm trying to work on my 510, as I'm searching things to upgrade my stock brake set up. I saw your brake set up I want to ask you if you don't mind? For how long are you using it and stops pretty good on a swap motor at highway 80mph for unpredictable strong stops (sorry for the silly question) but it's nice to know your testimonial driving experience with your brake set up. I will appreciate.

I have a set of 2 front calipers 300zx from a 93 cast iron ( with no mount brackets) , What year are you using from the infiniti M30 struts? I'm going to hit the junk yard in Miami this weekend first thing in the morning cus later will be a b1tch to work at 105 degrees lol sunny as hell and blood suckers mosquitoes.  Let me know what years will work since I will keep my eye on the Junkyard for parts? too bad the 280zx struts wont work, there's no point buying those 280zx struts unless I get it all around for $25 lol.. but either way I want my Z32 front calipers to work for my 510. Oh yes before I forgot those M30 struts comes with the 4 bolts wheel hub or are you using other hub matching for your M30 struts.  

The Infiniti M30 struts you got from are those similar the same as for the stock struts from a S14 240sx or S13 240sx?
what type of springs do you have on your M30 struts, is it the springs from stock 510 springs and top hats, or same stock springs and hats from the M30 struts? any cutting to the springs as well >?Reason I ask I want my 510 to be low, not crazy low like a thug, but just low like a good civilian :) .

You said you chose the aluminum 26mm brakes(calipers) so those calipers are coming out from a 1990 non turbo 300zx I believe ? just asking.

Either way I want to use my Z32 (cast iron) 30mm calipers, and make it work. Now for the Rear brakes any year from the 200sx/Maxima Rear discs will work for my baby goon?

I'm going to see my cost for all this set up since I have the z32 calipers already with brake pads and stainless steel, I got it all for $50 few years ago.. that's why I got something to work on already my z32 cast iron calipers, if I didn't have it with me I will choose the 280zx struts and brake set up, either way at the end it's all about cost, searching parts, level of installation easy/medium/difficult., and what's less headache to drop the car Lower with no problems or hard modifications or finding buying a good size 15 inch. that will fit the z32 and hoping that fits. I can go 16 inch rims on my 510 but nah.. don't like it too big already, plus I already have 15x8 wheels with stretch tires. ready for my 510.
  • Like 1

Good morning. I'm trying to work on my 510, as I'm searching things to upgrade my stock brake set up. I saw your brake set up I want to ask you if you don't mind? For how long are you using it and stops pretty good on a swap motor at highway 80mph for unpredictable strong stops (sorry for the silly question) but it's nice to know your testimonial driving experience with your brake set up. I will appreciate.

Z32 brakes are really good on a 510.

I have a set of 2 front calipers 300zx from a 93 cast iron ( with no mount brackets) , What year are you using from the infiniti M30 struts? I'm going to hit the junk yard in Miami this weekend first thing in the morning cus later will be a b1tch to work at 105 degrees lol sunny as hell and blood suckers mosquitoes.  Let me know what years will work since I will keep my eye on the Junkyard for parts? too bad the 280zx struts wont work, there's no point buying those 280zx struts unless I get it all around for $25 lol.. but either way I want my Z32 front calipers to work for my 510. Oh yes before I forgot those M30 struts comes with the 4 bolts wheel hub or are you using other hub matching for your M30 struts.  

All M30 struts are the same.  90-92 or 93 or 94 I don't know...

The Infiniti M30 struts you got from are those similar the same as for the stock struts from a S14 240sx or S13 240sx?
what type of springs do you have on your M30 struts, is it the springs from stock 510 springs and top hats, or same stock springs and hats from the M30 struts? any cutting to the springs as well >?Reason I ask I want my 510 to be low, not crazy low like a thug, but just low like a good civilian :) .

M30 struts are not similar to S13/14.  I made mine into coilovers.  You could use 510 perches and springs.

You said you chose the aluminum 26mm brakes(calipers) so those calipers are coming out from a 1990 non turbo 300zx I believe ? just asking.

I think 90-91 N/A?

Either way I want to use my Z32 (cast iron) 30mm calipers, and make it work. Now for the Rear brakes any year from the 200sx/Maxima Rear discs will work for my baby goon?

Search here and Google I no wagon.

I'm going to see my cost for all this set up since I have the z32 calipers already with brake pads and stainless steel, I got it all for $50 few years ago.. that's why I got something to work on already my z32 cast iron calipers, if I didn't have it with me I will choose the 280zx struts and brake set up, either way at the end it's all about cost, searching parts, level of installation easy/medium/difficult., and what's less headache to drop the car Lower with no problems or hard modifications or finding buying a good size 15 inch. that will fit the z32 and hoping that fits. I can go 16 inch rims on my 510 but nah.. don't like it too big already, plus I already have 15x8 wheels with stretch tires. ready for my 510.

IMO sell the cast iron 30's and go ZX... Or get aluminum Z32's...

I hope that helps ;)