r160 to r180 510

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the 240z has the 4 bolt flanges and should be a direct fit.

the Later R180s from the IRS 200sx ectg use a clip type stub axle and one has to use the 510 spider gear cap with the threaded plate to use the 51o half shafts. and the dust should needs to be cut.

ck the R180 as most are the crappy gear ratios. So I dont know why you want one unless you got the right gear ratio

Find a early R180 720 4x4 front diff with 4.38s....not sure what gears you are looking for though

Direct bolt in .....just swap the 720 dust shields onto the R160 stubs

P2120012_zps557f11a1.jpg

The later (83+) 720 4x4 diff has the 4.11s....but has a larger bolt pattern on the companion flange

4.11 R180 with R160 stubs/720 dust shields

P2120013_zps687f2ddc.jpg

• Like 1

you could get a EARLY SUBI OPEN DIFF r160 THOSE SHOULD BE CHEAP AND HAVE A 3.7 GEAR RATIO

OLDDATSUNS.COM HAS THE KURT HAFNER ARTICLE I BELIEVE

well i want to go r180 because its will be alot stronger than my r160. im doing a pretty badass LZ22 and i dont want my stock diff(that is already starting to give me signs of failure) to go out on me. i would just like to throw in a damn near same gear ratio in the 510. i dont want a super short final drive, i want top end(dont ask why)

the 200sx turbo 4 cyl or auto I believe had a 3.90 R180. Its a C clip type and use the thresded plate off the old 510 diff off the spider gears , to use the 510 half shfts.

I persoanlly like the 3.7 gear lsd I have in my 510, gets good gas milage on freeway(perfect freeway diff)

i wouldnt mind that one, IF I COULD FIND IT! haha and i dont mind my 3.7 either, but like i said before, its starting to give me problems.

stock 510s are 3.9 or should be.

its just another option on the subu diffs. if your doing a LZ its have more torq than my l16. slound be erer to turn than mine

one you go with the longer stroke motor they just as not a high rever as say the other motors. heres a certain point where they just dont work right when it come to airflow.Throwing those rods around. but Im not a LZ expert so wont add anymore on that.

stock 510s are 3.9 or should be.

its just another option on the subu diffs. if your doing a LZ its have more torq than my l16. slound be erer to turn than mine

one you go with the longer stroke motor they just as not a high rever as say the other motors. heres a certain point where they just dont work right when it come to airflow.Throwing those rods around. but Im not a LZ expert so wont add anymore on that.

i meant 3.9 >.< haha and i understand the difference between a longer stroke motor VS a shorter stroke, but i am also doing a KA 5speed(with L series bell housing) and im already going to be happy with my gearing, but i wouldnt mind having a nice upgraded diff either. thats what im getting at. im not even worried about gear ratios at this moment, im worried about what problems i am going to be running into.

The s12 200sx r180 diffs are usually available at picknpull when I go.  Clip in stubs but I did a little how-to on changing them out to bolt in stubs.  Dust shields need to go from the r160 stubs like Sealik mentioned.  Or just use early Z halfshafts.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/42794-how-to-convert-a-clip-in-r180-to-bolt-in-for-a-510/

love it! thank you!

sorry for thread jacking, but now I have a question and it pertains to a S30 Z diff and another diff that I am being offered.

A 1971 240Z R180 diff is a bolt in/plug in job?

And a 2001 Subaru Forester R160 LSD 4.11 diff isn't?

Note: I live in the Northeast. So I'm never going to find a pre-90's Subaru or Nissan/Datsun at a junkyard. These are my options at the moment.

A 1971 240Z R180 diff is a bolt in/plug in job?

Yes, the ratios will not work well though unless you have 6 cyl or forced induction or are an extreme hyper-miler.  Stub axle dust shield issue also applies.

If the spline counts are the same and each stub is of equal length maybe it will?  I have heard some Subi LSD's use asymmetric stubs.

A 1971 240Z R180 diff is a bolt in/plug in job?

Yes, the ratios will not work well though unless you have 6 cyl or forced induction or are an extreme hyper-miler. Stub axle dust shield issue also applies.

If the spline counts are the same and each stub is of equal length maybe it will? I have heard some Subi LSD's use asymmetric stubs.

Good. I fall into one of those catagories for the 240z diff, but I'm as confused as you're about Subaru diff's.