Trav's thread, 720 King cab Build. too low so far...

WooHooMobile

Ok, so I'm coming back Oregon This June.  I land on the 14th of June. i might miss out on Canby 2 years in a row. 

Or i could change flights to Portland instead of Redmond and check it out at least on the sunday. 

Worth my effort?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you came you might get an award for being the person to come to Canby from the farthest away, but that award usually goes to whoever drove the farthest as I recall.

Depending on when your flight comes in, I might be able to pick you up at the airport and take you to Canby.

It's one of the biggest meets around here, we have 2 big ones, Canby and Blue Lake.

Thanks for the offer wayno, 

Turns out my brother in law in Redmond is out of town anyway that weekend. so the wife is happy if we head to Portland - Canby instead. 

Might be a pussy and hotel it nearby, take a bunch of photos and sneak in a few beers.

I saw on the DatsunsNW site a mention of historic racing, when / where are these meets. their calender needs some work. 

WHat is the Blue lake meet? 

I'm keen to hit up as much as i can, as last year i missed most events around the USA by a week usually. 

Blue lake thread/link, it is a half day meet.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/58801-blue-lake-2014-30th-year/

Canby thread/link, it's a whole weekend meet, lot of shenanigans at the meet, and the thread for that matter. :lol:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55743-canby-2014-no-fucks-given/

I don't know about historic races, except there is something like that up near Seattle, seemed to be an invitation thing if one wanted to get there Datsun on the grounds.

Yeah ill definitely miss Blue lake.

Ill be coming to Canby to check it out. not sure what time on the saturday ill get in, but if there is still daylight ill come by for a look. then more pics on sunday.

I better resist the urge to by any cars this trip.

Ill try and sus out the historic racing. the 510's were never really circuit racers over here, but were successful at rally. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, thanks for all the feedback thus far.  :blush:

Got my box of Stuff from summit the other week and only in the last few days had the opportunity to fit them.

Beltech 2005 drop spindles and a 4inch lowering block kit for the rear. 

The Spindles were fitted with relative ease, the wheels came millimeters away from fouling on the lower control arms.

I may still look at getting the thinnest bolt on spacers i can for the fronts, there isn't much spare thread on the studs, the center of the rim is quite thick.

The rear blocks went in quite well too. having a hoist and a spare set of hands is great.

Now the PROBLEM

The installed front spindles are now causing all kinds of toe out problems. I'm no geometry enthusiast but maybe 5deg toe out on each side...

Is there D21 parts i should fit? tie rods?

two tire shops i called said they wouldn't touch the truck to fix some thing that out, lazy SeaHunts...

There appears to be a threaded tube between the tie rod and tie rod end, chopping this rod down and replacing should allow enough adjustment to bring the front true. 

I'm off to the wreaking yard today to see what i can find... 

In the pic you can just see the toe out. the other side must be way worse...

IMAG1809_zps1b6217c2.jpg

If you are still in need of spacers I have a pair of Mike Klotz 1/8" steel spacers you can have if you pay shipping.  Probably cheaper to source in Auz.  Great Nissans!

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the replies, sorry i haven't been back here in a little while. 

I leave for the states in about 20Hours, and should get to Canby Saturday afternoon. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing all the cars.

My 720... 

Lowering it has caused all kinds of driveline vibrations. and the turning circle is pretty poor now too. 

SO sadly im going to raise it 2inches, so that the thing can be useable again. 

720s are not pretty enough to be stanceworks Efame hero cars...

I just noticed this thread,,, sorry :blush:   ..But the historics usually take place right around the forth of July in Seattle (pacific raceways)  and a week after that in Portland international raceway.  Lots of old handbuilt racers as well  import sedans,, and the V8 Trans-Am type cars. Cars are required to be 73 or older i believe,, an have a documented racing heritage  . Not sure if they are all racing,, as some of those things are obviously irreplaceable,,   but they are roaring past at breakneck speeds for sure,,, going through the gears , if you can catch one it is well worth it... Since they are there for fun the pits are always completely open so getting up close is easy..  

I'm rambling.

:D

Seattle (Kent)

http://northwesthistorics.com/sovrenguild/racing/pacific-northwest-historics/

Portland

http://www.portlandhistorics.com/

Thanks for the replies, sorry i haven't been back here in a little while. 

I leave for the states in about 20Hours, and should get to Canby Saturday afternoon. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing all the cars.

My 720... 

Lowering it has caused all kinds of driveline vibrations. and the turning circle is pretty poor now too. 

SO sadly im going to raise it 2inches, so that the thing can be useable again. 

720s are not pretty enough to be stanceworks Efame hero cars...

Your carrier bearing might need to be raised to get rid of the vibrations.

Nice truck man :)

What are specs of your tires/rims? I was going to drop the front as low or lower than yours and I have really wide slot mags (like 8 1/2 inches)

I have been loving the last week being in OR, seeing 720's everywhere, Parked in driveways, on the Highway, Being used as they should. 

Saw a blue 620 today in Bend, bunch of stickers behind the driver on the glass. 

No 510's or Z cars in the wild since i left Canby...

Im all set to go to the Portland Historics. Cant make the Seattle meet im afraid. 

Hey mate, I'm a bit far away from the truck to check the wheels specs. 

they are pretty soft offset from memory maybe +30ish? . 15x6.5 

thats cool, thanks :)

• 10 months later...

Ok so a long time between updates. 

I ended up Raising the truck 2in, it still looks ok, but more importantly it has some suspension travel.

I had been thinking of engines to re power it ( in the dreaming stage), Was thinking a Nissan 4cyl Turbo diesel etc

Then my Sister recently Crashed  her M35 Nissan Stagea, ( Pretty much a G35 turbo wagon) 

Example of a good one : http://www.speedhunters.com/2010/11/car_spotlight_gt_gt_autech_stagea_axis/

It contains the VQ25DET engine... 

I read a few threads here and there with people swapping VG engines into D21 hardbodies etc, And in the 90's it was common in Australia to fit the Holden / Buick V6 to 720's

So why not the VQ25... Should move the truck along nicely.

Probably leave the auto trans from the Stagea attached, run a suitable sized intercooler, and a slight exhaust upgrade. Try to leave all the rest OEM, the 720 is a shitload lighter than the Stagea so it

should haul ass with the new stock motor.

There will be problems to overcome I'm sure...