Orange, and only a little rust: `76 710

So I'm a little crazy (the good kind of crazy I hope) and this is the new project. Its a 1976 Datsun 710 station wagon. It is in need of some work, but it is running and the frame appears to be in good shape. I've been told by the powers that be that I am under no circumstances allowed to change the color, but I see stripes in this car's future. 

IMG_20130425_190242_508.jpg

It came to me with a branded title and I'm told by the po that it was rescued from certain death in a junkyard. It looks like the orange is original to bits of the car, but the driver's side door was definitely metallic green in the before times. I'm hoping to turn this into the new hotness, but if I don't get it that far along I want to get put together well enough that my wife will ride in it without cringing.

The rust of course has set in

IMG_20130425_190255_912.jpg

Its mostly confined to a few small areas so it should be fixable, but that's a little further out on the todo list. First up is fixing a sticky choke and some tapping in the motor.

IMG_20130425_190402_404.jpg

The po was even kind enough to leave me the tape deck.

As I get time I'll keep posting updates.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Its been a little hectic, but I managed a few things over the last couple weeks. The valve adjustment was the big thing but I didn't manage to get any pictures.

IMG_20130512_165506_278.jpg

The front grill needed a fresh coat of paint, which was just fun

IMG_20130615_122256_463.jpg

The engine bay could be worse, but it needs a coat of paint. 

IMG_20130615_122349_317.jpg

The engine serial number on the body was L20B-879494, but the engine is L20B-346437. I haven't found a good reference for what the numbers mean (other than the order they left assembly). If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear more. 

IMG_20130617_175307_924.jpg

I'm planning on getting the interior re-upholstered and carpeted, and in preparation I've been scraping out the ^&*# tar. I found some rust, but mostly its under the tailgate (where I assume there is a leak in the weather stripping).

IMG_20130618_180009_954.jpg

You can see the rusty carnage along the bottom edge of the tailgate opening. That's waiting for me to get some time with a welder I think.

IMG_20130619_142048_185.jpg

The white primer is a temporary. I'm not happy with it yet, but I couldn't match the interior color easily.

IMG_20130622_173025_950.jpg

When I pulled everything apart I found this little thing. I have the wrench and the bag, but that's about it.

When I pulled everything apart I found this little thing. I have the wrench and the bag, but that's about it.

I have a jack, and tire stoppers. PM me id your interested!