Danfiveten's Preserved 510 (yes finally revealing)

I do want to say one lil thing, I know i post about this alot, but i have wanted this car for years, since the first time i saw it. So sorry ive been excited, and also wanting to re-assure some people that im taking care of it as Art would. I love this car, it means alot to me because one of the greatest people ive ever met owned it. Eventually ill be slowing down saying stuff about it and posting pics. But im still excited, im like a kid who just got the toy hes always wanted. Some of you may not like me, or be pissed i got it and think im not going to take care of her, and truthfully, could really give a rats ass. Shes more than a car to me, she is part of Art, and the only part of him i have left. I know theres 510's out there (a few) that are as stock, maybe more, thats not the reason why i love this car, she could be a normal run of the mill dime, and i would love her and be just as excited about her as i am now. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all good man. This is your thread.. post whatever you want about your car and post it daily. If you post shit about it in a bunch of threads, that's where it could get annoying.. for any user/car.

The car is sweet! You'll do er' right.

Really hating fucking life right now. Long story short for those that dont know, my insurance on workers comp is trying to fuck me over, and fuck me over hard. Due to this we have to move, we found a apartment we can afford 1 mile from wifes work, but problem is no garage. I know Art had.....Art lol sit under a car port its whole life under a car cover...but i just cant do that. So Art is luckily (and thanks to my dad for making room again) up to my dads house. Im just sad because i lvoe driving her on nice days, looking at her and all that, but now ill be lucky if every couple months i can get up there to pull her out.   I do feel bad for purple because she is becoming my daily driver again, because i have to sell my sentra for moving fees, and already have it pending sale to a guy in califorina (why is it no one local can ever buy my b series nissans? its always some guy from Minnesota, or now califorina that wants my cars)  So she wont be out nearly as much, and you wont see me out as much.    Just horridly depressed about all this, luckily we will save 1300 a month moving into this apartment, compared to -150 a month staying in our house with the loss of my income, so in a year we can save up, pay shit off, and hopefully if im back in school, or finally able to work a job, get a place with a garage again.  

• 1 month later...

Dont want to make a new thread for just wheels. These were technically for Art as a rolling around wheel (with the stockies going back on for shows that the car is registered at, and these to roll around on to preserve the tires on the stock wheels (since good luck finding rubber for them in a few years unless custom made)   But i think these are going on purple after a front end rebuild.  Should look sexy on it.

1170653_10153177504500331_384568651_n-1.

1208845_10153177504320331_1147954343_n.j

These were brand new in the box, my dad had them sitting for years with the new rikens, these were going to go on the 68 but he put the boyds on there instead.  The tires put on them together have less than 6 miles of road use.  I cant wait to put these on. 

Good to see you back.

Went to north west z show today since i couldnt make it down to eugene :(.  But won best other Datsun, and got a pretty trophy, thanks for a great show nw z.  

1st.jpg

Time for blue to go into hibernation and winter status after red door tomorrow night.  Got some work to do to her, and re detail up the engine bay. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just amazes me how much attention to detail art paid to the car, reading every single thing he wrote about the car, even going down to phillips screws. Figured id share these pics, ive been documenting all the info i have for the car for my records to know what i have, figured id share some of it. Current appraisal i had puts it at 25k, back in 2005 it was 16k. Shows how much prices have gone up on our cars in under 10 years.  Art never ceases to amaze me, even after he passed. Guy was just amazing.  I didnt realize but its even the original windshield in her still. 

null_zpsf6df0f29.jpg
null_zps253b4d8c.jpg

null_zps94d81d40.jpg

Win record.
null_zps63ca4f56.jpg
null_zpsb6c73472.jpg
null_zpse8abb670.jpg

null_zps212120d8.jpg

null_zps79ef8ed0.jpg

null_zps40113687.jpg
null_zps0e8b8e58.jpg
null_zps24ab0270.jpg
null_zps6771b6da.jpg
null_zpseb8083fe.jpg
null_zpsc8731d9a.jpg
null_zpsa561f800.jpg
null_zpsc3a0713a.jpg
null_zps51c8bd64.jpg
null_zps493bed96.jpgnull_zps88de72b5.jpg
null_zpsb554658a.jpg
null_zps0a714f09.jpg
null_zps47bc6846.jpg
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

My new stereo system for art. was only 100 bucks.  Works great, super loud, decent bass, need a car charger for it though since it doesnt use usb >.<   but it is perfect for in art, i just sit it in between the seats or on the console. 

null_zps9992d01d.jpg

So trip went great.  I think Art was to used to being driven under 60 by Arthur for years, because after topping tranny fluids, nice oil change from nissan with greasing front and rear end, i was pushing 75-80 with her 90% of the whole way down.  I only ran into 2 issues.  

1.  I need a new alt, charge light is coming on (when i came back through eugene) either it got splashed with water bad, or the diode is going out, but no biggy, rock auto has them for 40 bucks the small one i need.

2. The radiator. I either need to have her converted to a 3 core but using the same tanks so it remains stock looking (plus nissan DID offer 3 core radiators in some markets for the 510 as a option)  but first take the rad in and see if it had ever been cleaned otu inside, it may be clogged, because i was running on the p most of the journey, (about 190) and just had to take the grape vine at 35mph up.  

Other than that, i made the trip down and back in 15 hours each way, she averaged 75-80 mph 90% of the way except some hills, i was passing people with them looking at me like WTF!!!  I am very proud of my preserved 510 after this trip, i feel like i know her better, and have fallen even more in love with my car, even if i didnt win anything. I am so proud of this car, and want to thank Arthur up there for leaving me one of the best 510's i have ever owned.  

Oh forgot to add. SO those that knew art and his 510, knew there was a rattle in the dash that had pissed him off for the last 40 years, since the car was new, it has rattled, he had the dash apart, nissan had it apart, and could not find the rattle.  Me and my dad have found it, not in the dash, but in the heater area LOL.  Going to tear it apart when i have the front end apart and find the rattle, and finally fix it.  Its been there since new, but i know art will be happy up there that i finally found it.  

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

So ive had no internet due to switching from comcast to dish, and frontier cant get out till the 24th...boo.  But anyway. Art broke down on me. seems to be the carb. Will make a long story short.

SUnday morning i switch out the alt, put the new one on, and notice a bolt loose on the bracket, its almost completly backed out, so tighten it, and then find a few other loose bolts, my dad said when he got the car the front end looked like monkeys had put it together, seems he may of been right.  Drove great, then took family to costco, left costco with her and she stalls, keeps stalling, i check fuel filter and stuff still stalls, finally find out the carb is completly loose, from the inside :(.  so have my dad tow me home with his hardbody, we take the carb off, few stripped bolts, but we get it tight and put back on, at least she started that time but still dies if you let her idle.  So i buy new plugs as well as others were black showing way to rich, she will now rev, but still will NOT idle hwne warm. SO the carb is shot, i think the extra one art gave with the car is good, it looks almost new in the float as well as the rest of it, but its hard to trust if someone rebuilt it or if a shop rebuilt it, no idea.  So it goes on this weekend, and hopefully she will live again.

With so many loose bolts, shows i need to check and re torque everything down, seems whoever did the motor refresh to it didnt re-torque stuff down after some time, just trusted their work, not their fault but you always re orque after  5 hundred.  Im just glad it happend here, and not down in LA.   

• 2 weeks later...

Yep i got that...actually i got 2 copies, one art had in his files, and another with all my issues in my binder, i got every issue including the last few issues a few people dont seem to have put up lol.   Its always cool to read through that stuff. 

• 4 weeks later...

I got Art Running again!!!! Last night i couldnt sleep, i took the carb, sprayed the jets with carb cleaner and every hole the straw would fit, i sprayed. Then i took my air tank, and sprayed the jets as well to clear any blockages. She ran rough, but the more i drive her the better shes running, i was evena ble to take her on the on and off ramp between allen and hilsdale hwy on 217. Shes running roughish though, i may of knocked the carb out of adjustment? But shes driving, and she would not move under her own power before. So progress, i either had something stuck int he carb, or bad fuel. I put a full tank of chevron in (different station this time) so tomorrow ill take her out for the day and see if going through a tank or 2 makes a difference.  May need to go see nelson to adjust the carb, i may of fucked that up.  

If spraying down the carb made enough difference to get it running I would say its long over due for a real rebuild AND tune. It make be running rough for any number of reasons.