the 33 years in a garage build

RTB

I introduced myself last week, I have a 1970 2 door dime. Just starting my build but I thought this would be a good way to document everything I do. I was very fortunate with all the incredible parts that have come with the car, with more still to come. The guy that I bought the 510 from used to race and has amassed many rare NOS parts. I just have to do the assembly. My powerplant is a l20b with z20e NAPZ pistons and my choice between a Solex and Weber carb. Going to be running a 5 speed from a Z car and a LSD. There are more suspension parts to come but currently have a bunch of KYB struts and shocks. The interior is so nice its a shame I have to take it out to strip the metal for new paint. I have a for sale thread with a whole bunch of parts that I currently have many extras. I'll post pictures once i start work. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also can anyone shed more light on these 2 lights for me?

KtOp83y.jpg

wISwOai.jpg

Top is somewhat like the 710 front combination lamp but likely from an SSS grill'''

grill_sss.jpg

'72 SSS

grill_73_japanonly_2.jpg

'73 SSS

grill_73_japanonly.jpg

Bottom is a rear 620 marker light, or would pass for one.

Ok second question is why are the 2 horn buttons different for the SSS wheels. This gives me hope that my Po has a SSS grille stashed away as well. I know I should be getting some more SSS trim like side vents soon

If you ever want to sell one of those wood wheels let me know, since the old man is pulling the one in the blue 510 out when i take it next week >.>  was so hoping id get that wheel with it LOL.  Nice car man, will be a good one. 

When I decide which one I'm going to keep I'll put the other one up for sale. Only if justplainjoe doesn't want the one I don't want. He's local to me

Had some good progress on teardown today. Hopefully will be done by the end of tomorrow. I don't have keys for it so I'm wondering how to get into the trunk... Also if anyone has some good tips for washing the headliner that would be much appreciated because its white and has some pretty bad discoloration.

Cq8cMLo.jpg

vrh5dPW.jpg

• Like 1

Quote from another post here on the forum.

Take the passenger door lock out. There should be a code on the lock, then take ... the lock with the code stamped on it to a locksmith.

Should solve the problem of getting into the trunk (and ignition, and....)

• 3 weeks later...

Got some more work done. Itll be going into a shop for body work this week. Working on undercoating everything. Put in new front suspension parts

PG2crwF.jpg

zSXnkaO.jpg

Going with a goldish orange color. Trying to figure out what wheels I can run with the new suspension

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

It's been awhile but finally have the Datsun in paint. Starting to get the l20 put together so that it's ready in time to just drop it in the car. I was wondering if the sr20 rads fit into a 510 and can be routed to work with the l20? Also dropping a 5.13 LSD into the rear end so it should really take off.

• 1 month later...

Not the best option but 280zx rear control arms bolt it, but the shock mount is higher on the arm so you would need a shorter shock

In the front you can get 280zx strut assemblies and brakes, that is what most of us do. Check out the suspension thread I'm sure there is more there

• 2 weeks later...