Mckinney Motorsports Weld on Megan Coilover Kit

Joey J

*DISCLAIMER* I know this may not be your cup of tea, if it's not and you have nothing positive to say please move on. There is NO need for rude comments...

Hey guys, i just wanted to put out some info on this kit because when I was in the process of researching my options I couldn't find any info on this kit. If you want to slam your Z and do it the right way (Not Frankenstein-ing your struts with coilovers from another car) this is definitely the way to go!

271.jpg

http://mckinneymotorsports.com/prod_240+260+280Z+parts (scroll down to find the kit) 

^This is the kit.Comes with camber plates for all corners for maximum adjustability, adjustable dampening knob up top for easy access and obviously has height adjustment without affecting the spring. The shocks are pretty long so you can slam the car to the ground or raise it up to stock height. Honestly i did not think these were going to get me as low as i wanted to be but i wanted things done right. Boy was i wrong! 

This is how the car sits currently and I'm in love with the car now. Despite what you may think, the car rides pretty well, The dampening adjustment really helps keep things smooth. The front coilovers are maxed out. I can remove the 2 lower collars if i want to get an extra 1/3 of an inch but its already barely drivable (exactly how i like it). The rear i had initially maxed them out and when i took off the jack stands the frame was on the floor. Its about an inch and a half higher then max low. 

IMG_8072_zpsa891fa10.jpg

IMG_8070_zps9c640c4c.jpg

IMG_8067_zps4b23557b.jpg

I hope this helps others when making a decision on how to properly lower their Z. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or post here. I must admit I'm not too active on the forums though. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure Mckinney coilovers are Megan coils from an s13, so they are coils off of another car. They pretty much just manufacture the camber plates and coilover sleeves. It's a nice kit! Nice Z, I love that color. :thumbup:

Ratsun loves slammed stuff so keep posting! Hybridz might be a different story.haha

It looks good and its a nice kit

There seems to be a condescending tone though like if a person doesnt spend 1500 on a spoon fed kit its not "proper" or the "right" way. That using parts from others cars is some kind of unacceptable "Frankenstein-ing".  Cutting springs and what not is definitely the wrong way but a capable person who can cut and weld can fab their own set for less then half the cost and it is absolutely one of a few right ways.  

Inserts properly set up for our cars with diy coilovers (sectioned struts) have existed for a long time now. Accompanied by appropriate springs, camber plates etc... a person gets the same results. Track proven countless times long before off the shelf options were available. 

Like I said its a nice kit, for people not capable of doing their own work its excellent. The car looks good with them for sure. I apologize if I'm wrong about that tone but it was mentioned multiple times.

• Like 3

I have this kit on our Z.  Probably the best setup I've seen for the S30, because lowering springs and shocks are ALWAYS a compromise.

Everything about a car is a compromise. Be it this kit or another or diy or cut springs or stock suspension. Every single option is trading somethings for others. 

• Like 1

Looking good I love the stance sits really nice, would need to research to see if I can put these on the front of my 810 wagon.

Thanks! I have no idea if it'll work on an 810. Try and find out the strut diameter.

I like it. Seems like this would only cost a little bit more than 4 shocks + ground control sleeves all told. Did you do the install, or was it welded in by a shop?

I had read up on the ground control set up but its not actually fully adjustable, at least not the ones i saw. Fully adjustable means dampening and ride height adjustment without affecting the spring. 

I'm pretty sure Mckinney coilovers are Megan coils from an s13, so they are coils off of another car. They pretty much just manufacture the camber plates and coilover sleeves. It's a nice kit! Nice Z, I love that color. :thumbup:

Ratsun loves slammed stuff so keep posting! Hybridz might be a different story.haha

I knew Hybridz hates on slammed cars but posted the disclaimer just in case lol

they're valved for the 240z from megan. Mac told me when I had him instal them at mckinney that these are specific to our cars they use the same strut cartrige as all megan coilovers though.

I actually heard the same thing directly from Megan Racing.

It looks good and its a nice kit

There seems to be a condescending tone though like if a person doesnt spend 1500 on a spoon fed kit its not "proper" or the "right" way. That using parts from others cars is some kind of unacceptable "Frankenstein-ing".  Cutting springs and what not is definitely the wrong way but a capable person who can cut and weld can fab their own set for less then half the cost and it is absolutely one of a few right ways.  

Inserts properly set up for our cars with diy coilovers (sectioned struts) have existed for a long time now. Accompanied by appropriate springs, camber plates etc... a person gets the same results. Track proven countless times long before off the shelf options were available. 

Like I said its a nice kit, for people not capable of doing their own work its excellent. The car looks good with them for sure. I apologize if I'm wrong about that tone but it was mentioned multiple times.

Sorry if i came off like a jerk, i didn't mean it like that. On topic I definitely am NOT capable of fabricating a kit from scratch so this was perfect for me.

The only other option that i wouldn't consider frankenstein-ing would be the ground control set up. HOWEVER to my knowledge they are not adjustable (meaning adjusting height without affecting the spring) once welded on. That's what turned me away from them. Also I'm pretty sure they don't have dampening control. 

I have this kit on our Z.  Probably the best setup I've seen for the S30, because lowering springs and shocks are ALWAYS a compromise

Shocks and lowering springs are fine in my opinion. BUT there is no height adjust-ability, which is exactly what i wanted.

It says for 240z- early 260z though? Does that mean some modification is required for the 280z?  :confused:

No extra modification needed. Just let Mckinney know that you need a kit for a 280z. They have a different strut diameter.

Everything about a car is a compromise. Be it this kit or another or diy or cut springs or stock suspension. Every single option is trading somethings for others. 

^^^^+1, I completely agree with this! :thumbup:

No you didnt come off like a jerk I guess I just read too far into it :-). 

The ground control set up far as I know is height adjustable. Same as the rest by moving the collar. They would be kind of pointless if not. The dampening is done by the strut so if a person used a adjustable strut inserts then that aspect will be too. 

Cool though, Z looks good, low but not impractical. Its good to live in FL wit those nice roads. I have family down there and driving is my favorite thing to do while there haha. My s30 is lowered but I cant be that low living in great nyc. The roads here are some of the worst in the country sadly. 

• Like 2

It says for 240z- early 260z though? Does that mean some modification is required for the 280z?  :confused:

I make the bottom part of this set up for Mac(.The threaded tube that you weld to your strut housing). And yes they do have a set for the 280.

I don't have a set on my car YET!! That's just because I'm lazy. But I will soon.

• Like 1

No you didnt come off like a jerk I guess I just read too far into it :-).

The ground control set up far as I know is height adjustable. Same as the rest by moving the collar. They would be kind of pointless if not. The dampening is done by the strut so if a person used a adjustable strut inserts then that aspect will be too.

Cool though, Z looks good, low but not impractical. Its good to live in FL wit those nice roads. I have family down there and driving is my favorite thing to do while there haha. My s30 is lowered but I cant be that low living in great nyc. The roads here are some of the worst in the country sadly.

Im pretty sure if u adjust the height on the GC set up it affects the springs. I dont remember there being a sleeve in their kits. Ive heard of the roads in NYC, not low car friendly at all lol.

I make the bottom part of this set up for Mac(.The threaded tube that you weld to your strut housing). And yes they do have a set for the 280.

I don't have a set on my car YET!! That's just because I'm lazy. But I will soon.

Cant wait to see it!

I Will be going with this set up soon. it seems pretty legit my buddy has the DC2 coil over setup but his car is extremely low

Idk how much lower you can get.... Some times the frame rails hit the lane markers. This is as low as it can be for a daily driver lol. Any lower and its permenantly hard parked hahahah

That's a pretty cool kit......you got any pics of the work when it was in progress...

.....or the finished product??

Love the stance!! :wub:

I guess what I'm trying to get at is................................................................

................more oics??!!

cool! A friend was telling me about these. I don't trust a Chinese company like Megan to say yes they are valved for a z. 72240z made some corrections . He is right. What is your suspension set up besides these struts. 

That's a pretty cool kit......you got any pics of the work when it was in progress...

.....or the finished product??

Love the stance!! :wub:

I guess what I'm trying to get at is................................................................

................more oics??!!

I didn't plan on posting install pics but this is everything i took when i was sending pics to my buddies. All iPhone pics sorry :/

Of coarse i had to do an instagram picture

null_zps16b0ab2d.jpg

null_zps6fdd02ba.jpg

null_zps6b0b132e.jpg

null_zps184c5744.jpg

The R6 sleeping in the background :)

null_zps478a142c.jpg

null_zpsef5a737c.jpg

^that's not me^

null_zps18e66ec2.jpg

null_zps08185411.jpg

cool! A friend was telling me about these. I don't trust a Chinese company like Megan to say yes they are valved for a z. 72240z made some corrections . He is right. What is your suspension set up besides these struts. 

Other then the struts nothig has been done to the suspension.

Its possible i guess that they're not valved for a z  (since it is a chineese company), but It rides awesome for being so slammed and that's what matters to me. I don't track the car or plan to.

very nice. I don't know how much cheaper it could be if you were to machine your own camber plates. What else could you do to reduce cost? (Assuming you have a machine shop at hand).

You dont need a machine shop, group buys for camber plates come up here and there for much cheaper then retail. 

Mean reducing the cost of these coil overs or coil overs in general? In general a person can just section their struts, weld on perches and off the shelf threaded collars, use good inserts valved for the cars weight and w/e springs they like with modified high hats. It makes for a very affordable (half the cost of this kit), customizable and track proven set up. Thats why people have been doing it that was for a long time now. 

This is a nice looking, complete kit and thats what people are paying for but if you still have to cut and weld then its not really saving anyone the know how is it? 

• 4 weeks later...

My understanding of the McKinney's is that you can pre-load independently of ride height.  Just like the Ariz Z set up.  Is that correct?  

You are correct sir.

Just wanted to give you guys a bit of an update.. I've been daily-ing the car with the new suspension for over a month on these and still loving the ride

• Like 1

Given one of the photos you posted earlier, it appears as if the rear coils do not have adjustable camber plates.  Am I seeing things correctly?

And if this is the case - how does one go about adjusting their rear camber when they ultimately slam their car as you have?

Thanks!

Given one of the photos you posted earlier, it appears as if the rear coils do not have adjustable camber plates. Am I seeing things correctly?

And if this is the case - how does one go about adjusting their rear camber when they ultimately slam their car as you have?

Thanks!

It definitely has camber plates in the rear. If not I'd be eating through tires weekly haha. The kit comes with adjustable camber plates on all 4 corners.