Throwback Lil'Hustler

Today I bought some frame paint and other goodies from summit racing.  Had a $20 off coupon I couldn't let go to waste :P   Going with SEM rust shield.  Wanted the gloss but it is on back order or went with the flat.  Frame is almost all the way prepped... AGAIN.  Just been at a stand still with this 100+ degree weather we have been having here.  It sucks!  

Also got the V6 hardbody rotors ordered and the pathfinder caliper rebuild kit so I can get the front all done.  

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought myself a OE tachometer.  Been debating on getting one for a while as most are pricey but with the LZ motor coming soon figured it would be good to know that my RPMs are during the break in.  In pretty good condition and came out of a '73 too.

$(KGrHqNHJE4FHOnhnBdWBR7(E35r,!~~60_57.J$(KGrHqZ,!qIFHGMM)ybqBR7(FE)uz!~~60_57.J$T2eC16J,!)0E9s37FbCyBR7(F((u2!~~60_57.J

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

This morning I decided to open up the diff from the '79.  Was going to use the whole axle but after popping open both brake drums and seeing oil in them decided to just swap the diffs.  Not sure how to tell if it is a 4.11.. these were the marking on it.  H37:9

IMG_0715.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welp, just spent 300 dollars at rockauto.  GIANT list of parts will be on its way soon.  Good thing I am planing on keeping this truck forever... putting way more money into it than it is worth...

Already have a stockpile of boxes full of goodies.  Can't wait to get everything together.  

PS.  When ordering from rockauto try and get parts to ship from the same location.  I saved $60 in shipping by just checking all the parts to see what ones shipped from the same locations.  

• Like 1

Been a little busy getting everything together, lists made of what is needed/needed to do, ect.  Packages have been arriving so work has been started.  Didn't document really so far but will try to more as stuff goes on the frame.  Today got the hubs and front brakes all together.  I thought I would be able to use the original knuckle arm on the D21 hub.  The original has the bolt holes space too much out so guess I will be going back to PnP to get the right ones.  

IMG_0759.jpg

All new bearings/races.  Also a new seal in the back.  Using Pathfinder calipers with V6 hardbody rotors and hubs.

IMG_0758.jpg

Waiting for the bottom ball joints.  Should be here today.

Also been working on my spare bumper.  Covered the front plate holes so it will be smooth.  Going to be painting it black.

IMG_0760.jpg

BTW used JB weld  :D

Yesterday morning before work I got the arms on.  Then was going to get the hubs on but got called in early.  So that is on the list today, and having to go to PnP to get the right knuckle arm since the original 620 one is just a 1/4in too long.  Another note my head bolts came yesterday while at work so now I can complete the engine!  :w00t:

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

Like how the blue color came out on the calipers.

• Like 1

Just got the front all finished up except for the knuckle arms... totally forgot I need to get those at PnP still.  Good thing because I was about to tear my truck apart.  

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

Pinto shocks up front.  They are barley shorter than the original shocks but still hope they make a difference.  Also cut the bumper stops.  Tension rods installed also.

pinto shocks are noticeably different provided you keep your ride height within their dampening range. I saw a night and day difference over the stock shocks. Rides like a cadillac....welll....rode. Until I blew em out. 

How long did they last you?  I got cheap ones just to see how they do.  

Started to paint the underside of the bed to keep it from rusting any more on me.

IMG_0806.jpg

Frame is starting to look like a truck.  Today I am going to finish painting the bed, install the sway bar and all the steering linkages.  Then probably focus my attention back to the cap and get the steering wheel column out and what not.

IMG_0809.jpg

More progress to come!

Stripped the inside of the cab down minus the dash.  The floors are in amazing shape!

IMG_0810.jpg

There was only a little bit of rust behind the passenger seat in the corner.  Don't have to worry about rust anymore.

IMG_0819.jpg

The underside of the bed is all painted too.  Let me just say I am glad to be done.  I still have paint all over me.

IMG_0815.jpg

Just about everything suspension wise is on the frame.

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

Anyone have a ball joint sway bar hooked up?  I am using the one from my kingpin but it doesn't seem to look right.

IMG_0817.jpg

• Like 1

your bolt is in upside down flip it over & trim off the excesss thread sticking thru also try flipping the sway bar over or it may also look that way because the suspension isn't weighted down with the body & engine..... I'll try & remember to take a few pics of the red trucks sway bar to referance.

Are you using dropped spindles or stock D21's?  

yup the threads are on the bottom

"I am using stock D21 spindles" ..... cool, I was just goint to say .... IMO you'll want some kind of bump stop on those a-arms. I know you cut/removed them for clearance but without a bumper when your suspension bottoms out it will do it suddenly & HARD. The stock rubber ones are HARD to begin with & if you cut them flat they are completely useless other than keeping metal to metal contact. Bullet shaped bumpers are great because it dampens "progressively" so with minimal travel it squashes & slows the arm to a stop. You'd be suprised at how much smoother your suspension will feel even if you're "riding" close to or on bumpers. 

I'd suggest these Energy Suspension 9-9103, they're only 9/16" tall, fairly soft & cheap...

355-9-9103r.jpg