Throwback Lil'Hustler

On a side not I went to start it up and dead battery....  Great, I do not want to try and find something that is drawing current when ignition is off.  Once charged I'll see if my alternator is working.. but my dummy light inside hasn't come on while driving before.  Just going to have to wait to see what the problem is.

EDIT:  Alternator is charging.   Maybe battery is going but its not that old, 2011.  I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been thinking about going a modern engine.  Nothing in the near future, just poking at the idea.  I would really like to put a CA18det in but prices for them are quite high, been looking nothing cheap yet.  Also have been looking at the KA swap too.  Lot more cheaper plus they are everywhere.  

A question that I am having.. "Is a turbo engine a good DD engine?"  I am currently running 91/3 so gas is not too much an issue, MPG is on the other hand.

Yes

Perfect.  I just don't like how there is about no information on a CA18det swapped into a 620.  So the custom mods is what concerns me a little as this would have to be done in a summer, two months, for school reasons and it being my only vehicle.  

Looks like I'll look into it some more.  The more I do the more the KA just sounds like a better option.

• 2 weeks later...

I took off my bumper today as I wanted to repaint it.  I forgot how heavy it is, my guess is in the 50lbs range.  So I started to think of ways to lighten it up a bit.  What would you guys think about drilling holes in the back side of it?

Here is what I am working with.  I am going to remove the ghetto tow piece on it since I will never be able to tow with this bumper due to how it connects to the frame.

IMG_0394.jpg

Here you can see how it does.

IMG_0818.jpg

• 1 month later...

Did a little tuning to the truck today, adjusted carbs, torsions (raised it up some, rides so much better) and steering.

photo1.jpg

Been trying to decide what to do with the bed.  So far I am thinking about just painting it black but with just paint not the bed liner stuff.  The fade from the UV is the deal breaker for me and I don't want to spend a lot of money on it.  Plus I don't haul much.  I took my aluminum guard off the back and its pretty clean under there.  I think I am just going to clean up the aluminum and not paint it when it goes back on.  Now just got to get some paint remover pads and get to work!

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

• Like 2

Jeff has invested a lot of time, money & energy into getting his truck to this point and he's done a damn fine job. It's a great looking truck. Unless he wants the capital to build another Datsun or unless he wants "out" altogether, then why sell at all.?

BUT either way I too hope it goes to a good home & he gets every penny.

Maybe it's like me. If I get my asking price, why not sell it? If it sells I hope it goes to a good home.

Yes I have invested too much time and money into this truck  :D

I am more feeling my options out there.  I just really I mean really want an AC.  I can't stand this heat.  Yes I am complaining  :lol: I am looking to put an AC in the truck but just don't have much money at all to invest.. as usual still jobless.

In no way I will be giving this truck away.  So far the trades I have gotten are garbage, but you never know could get something worth while.

:) "too much" you say   :poke:

yanking your chain.... I get the whole A/C thing, doesn't bother me not having it but then again I remember when A/C was a luxury option too :)

Having A/C is one of the things on my "swap list" that has me hung up on which engine to use. Either way I'll end up using a mix of OEM stuff & hot rodder stuff. Cooling such a small space will be easy, under the hood thats the real pain. Even a "stand alone" cooling only unit like this from Old Air Products mounted high & tight where the package tray is would work great......

CAP-300.jpg

PS- sell me your tach first  :w00t: 

The problem I have been having is the engine bay.  The location of the compressor of the 620 one that was an option is where the fuel pump goes, so I would need to get an electrical pump.  Then I was thinking about a Z block compressor but they are all mounted on the other side since they normally lean the other way.

Agreed lots of options for the inside.  Found a couple of 70s ac kits on craigslist that seem like they may work for the inside.  Its just finding a good compressor that will work.

I have never had AC but for some reason the heat this summer is getting to me.

:) "too much" you say   :poke:

PS- sell me your tach first  :w00t: 

:lol:  I guess I can never spend too much.  Since I have the next build all planned out for the future.. that is if nothing worth wile come along.  :D

If the truck does go I'll keep the tachometer for you

Put the compressor where the smog pump would mount. Drivers side low under the exhaust manifold... plenty of room and then run a "smog truck" crank pulley.  

I'll owe you big.!!!

If the truck does go I'll keep the tachometer for you

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

15196069242_aa78b76a79_c.jpg

Well, I'm carrying on the torch in lieu of Jeff. Still a college student's daily. Won't be doing much to it besides regular maintenance until I get my 510 ahem. money pit. running. R1 carbs, bogg manifold, mild cam, lsd rear end, rear sway bar, 2" D21 drop spindles and 3.5" blocks and other small things in the horizon. Until then, she'll be taken care of.

• Like 4

15196069242_aa78b76a79_c.jpg

Well, I'm carrying on the torch in lieu of Jeff. Still a college student's daily. Won't be doing much to it besides regular maintenance until I get my 510 ahem. money pit. running. R1 carbs, bogg manifold, mild cam, lsd rear end, rear sway bar, 2" D21 drop spindles and 3.5" blocks and other small things in the horizon. Until then, she'll be taken care of.

New paint?

• 5 years later...