Throwback Lil'Hustler

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and what about the rest of the 79? bumpers, glass, lenses, wiring, auxiliary controls, etc. hope you save those and more. hows the dash and antenna and package tray? I need those three items, as well as an unworn looking lights and wiper control. oh, and a hazards button too. let me know. I call dibbs on those items.

front coilovers SEEM super easy.

beebani makes brackets for trucks with kingpin or balljoint suspension.

there isnt much modding, you pretty much just weld it up. google it :)

I've seen the ones Beenani sells.  Probably will go that route once I save up the cash. Just need a welder to come over and do it.  (sucks not knowing how to weld nor having the $$ for equipment).  Just got a U67 head that will be my way soon thanks to blueghost510.  So engine is slowly coming along. 

Here is the truck that will eventually end up on this frame.  It is my DD w/ no issues.  Hopefully I will be making the right decision here :lol: .  The body has just about ZERO rust.  Trying to keep it that way.

IMG_0467.jpg

• Like 2

I don't know anything about these trucks and was wondering the reason for ditching the 1973 frame. Do you get better front suspension and brakes?

Yes.  The '73 has kingpins, '79 ball joint.  '73 drums on all four, '79 discs up front drums in back.

Front disc brakes and ball joint steering. Larger brake master cylinder. (be sure to hang onto that!) Gas tank mounted on frame not on bed. Return gas line. Has shorter front driveshaft suitable for a later truck or z/zx 5 speed (be sure to hang onto that!) Rad support is recessed for larger L20B rads. Only year that had 4.11 differential gears on 4 and 5 speeds only. Automatics stayed 4.375 Slightly modified rims to clear front disc brake calipers.... '73 rims may not work on it.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the gas tank that came with the truck was a bed mounted tank (pinch on the tank was smashed in to fit)  So I will be staying with the bed mounted tank.  The '73 already has a zx 5 speed with shortened shaft.  I am keeping the brake master cylinder.  Found out today that it is different.  Is the 4.11 gears better to go with than the '73 gears with the LZ motor?  Wait, so the L20b radiator wont fit in the '73 body?

for reference

bmcs

73 620 3/4 (12/16)

79 620 13/16

80 720 7/8 (14/16)

both the 13/16 and 7/8 can be had for 20 NEW (not reman'ed)

on rockauto.

This morning before it got too hot out I took the rear axle off.  Bolts on the bottom of the shocks where bent so it was fun getting those off.  Other than that everything went smooth.

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

Cut the gas tank mount off too.  Not bad for the first time using a grinder.

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

Had a neighbor walk by and said he has a sand blaster I can use :thumbup:   Gotta love living around helpful people.  So far I think I have four people that walk their dogs that keep updated on my build when they walk by

Finally down to a bare frame.  I am having issues with the hard brake lines.  I cant seem to get any of them to come off.  All the bolts want to do is strip.  Tired soaking in WD40, oil, ect.  Anyone have a tip?

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

Go pick up a set of brake line wrenches. They work like a pipe wrench and get tighter as you rotate. I could not find a picture of the style I like, but these look good.

623226.jpg

A good set of vice grips will work, just use the flats and crank them up.

Do not use fire, brake fluid is flamable.